The Heart Of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson

The Heart Of Betrayal

by Mary E. Pearson

This was good, though the POV jumps and love triangle are still a tad irritating. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
You know, this one was actually better for me than the first. It moved at a painfully sluggish pace, the romance was just as uncomfortable and stilted as in the first (all of the romantic scenes are written the same way, with the same words), there was zero tension or sense of urgency, and I still don't really know what this series is about...

There are threads, though. Buried underneath the hundreds of pages and needless scenes and uncomfortable romance is an interesting story. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the story Pearson is actually telling. Or if she is, she's burying it underneath a pile of needless throwaway scenes.

Though, my major complaint is: get real, YA authors who write protagonists who everyone loves. It's not realistic and it's just annoying. No one in this world is universally liked. Even the antagonists liked Lia in this book and it made absolutely no sense. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
I LOVE this series! I love the main character who has a will of her own and the fact that ALL the characters are rounded, they each have their own agenda and it may or may not be what the Lia [our protagonist] wants. She seems at times a pawn in a game she's not allowed to play, and yet, she finds the wherewithal to take her seat as a player and force others to acknowledge her position. I'll be honest, these are the best kinds of story to read because they allow you to feel for more than just the lead, you can root for other characters. Even if they do not have Lia's best interests as heart, and I can't wait for the third one!!! ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
Previously, I attempted to read this is made it to page 160 and I put it aside. I decided to pick up the audiobook and give it a try, and I am so glad I did.

I love Lia and that she plays such a strong and independent character. Yes, she still makes decisions due to the ones she loves, but she is also not relying on others to get things done. I love when books have strong female characters.

I also love the cast of narrators, as it does bring a different feel to the story. I highly recommend this audiobook if you have a hard time with fantasy reads.

This book made me smile and cry. Rafe hearing about his mother was heartbreaking, and brought tears to my eyes. There were some twists to keep it moving, but this is not a very action packed read. It focuses on the characters and being trapped and trying to get free.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and cannot wait to wrap up this trilogy. ( )
  SimplyKelina | May 4, 2017 |
This was amazing. Emotions are overflowing and there will be spoilers here, please read at your own risk. SPOILERS!

I can't believe the difference between how this book has made me feel in comparison to the first part of the series. The curse is broken - I have found myself a new favorite series! Moreover, I think it is one of those rare times when I really, really love the main female character. Lia has grown so much. Such a wonderful, smart, strong, passionate and full of surprises woman she has become. Also, a deceiving heartless bitch, yes - I hurt for Kaden so much! Don't you dare to do this again, Arabella Celestine Idris Jezelia, never again! - but, putting this aside, she has blown my mind.

Rafe is as flawless and charming and too good to be true as he was - all that royal anger and naughtiness suppressed for the major part of the book. Like every main character in the series he is a master of lies, but in his case this doesn't feel like something good. By playing someone else through the whole book, he doesn't give us a chance to get to know real him better - and that's what makes him "less" for me. But when the time has come, the lovely prince of Dalbreck showed them all - with sword and raft and killer kisses. So still, my heart is 45% yours, Rafe, just let it all out if you please!

Kaden. 55% of my heart is yours and it hurts so much! You do have a gift - that is, being sweet and caring and sensitive and also bad and dangerous and brotherly loyal at the same time. Being torn between love and duty, Kaden has revealed so much more about himself, so many strengths and weaknesses, so much sadness and hidden desires - his character is perfect to me. And I am really glad he kept his oath of allegiance to Venda, for I would be deeply disappointed in him otherwise. My dear Assassin, I will send prayers to gods to give you the love you deserve. You saw yourself holding a baby... you're impossible, but you'll have it! With Lia or without her. I promise.

Komizar has been such a delightful villain. He turned to be a really wicked person at the end - killing Aster and being all about vengeance and power - but I was really drawn to him as a ruler, a schemer, and a a sexy, coldblooded male he has been. I didn't really care that he has decided to made Lia marry him - this was absolutely predictable and logical for the whole situation. This is called surviving. (I don't think that being pulled to this kind of men is healthy, by the way, I'll work on it.)

The secondary characters deserve yet another round of applause. Well-rounded, believable, real. And the world? Oh, Venda is a country of beauty and suffering, hope and despair. I am so grateful for getting to know this land and feeling its soul. I am also a real fan of the Venda songs now, so let's gather and sing, people.

The Plotting (yes, with a capital P) is fantastic. I have already forgot the disappointment of predicting some of the minor turns of events in the book, because the final 15% have treated me with a wild ride of major surprises and uncertainties. I've never been given an adrenaline shot, but I think I have a pretty close idea about how it may feel. Nothing went the way I planned. Nothing! Except for the outcome - unfortunately, I was spoiled by the premise of the final book. Yes, spoilers are a bitch.

So I am totally smitten with this book and have one more day to kill before the release of the final part. Apparently, perfect timing is my gift. ( )
  vira_t | Dec 2, 2016 |
For Kate Farrell, my friend and editor, and Siarrah of the highest order
One swift act.

Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Princess Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape--and even less of being together--as the foundations of Lia's deeply-held beliefs crumble beneath her while she wrestles with her upbringing, her gift, and her very sense of self to make powerful choices that affect her country, her people, and her own destiny.… (more)

Mary E. Pearson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible