A Most Inconvenient Marriage by Regina…

A Most Inconvenient Marriage

by Regina Jennings

This is a very enjoyable story. How can you not like Abigail and Jeremiah. Though this is a different Jeremiah than Abigail thought. Abigail is a nurse during the end of the civil war and ends up marrying a dying soldier and than going to live with his family. Then one day she learns she did not marry their son but someone else.. What will they all do? There are some funny moments and some sad moments during this book but not a dull one. I received this book from.bookfun.org for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Sep 23, 2015 |
A MOST INCONVENIENT MARRIAGE by Regina Jennings
This Christian romance is a quick, fun read despite its obvious plot flaws. You will have to suspend belief as you discover a family of Southern sympathizers who embrace a Northern “nurse” claiming to have married their son on his deathbed so she can nurse his ailing sister and tend to the family farm. The tangled mess that ensues when the supposedly dead soldier turns up quite alive and engaged to a neighbor woman gives the plot its tension. The subplot of horse rustlers is much more believable and well thought out.
If you like Christian fiction and a bit of “squeaky clean” romance, you will enjoy this tale. The neighbor children supply a good bit of humor and the love stories have numerous twists and turns. All in all, a fine tale for the genre.
4 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | Feb 16, 2015 |
A Most Inconvenient Marriage, Ozark Mountain Romance Book #1 by Regina Jennings
Bethany House
Christian Fiction , Historical

ISBN: 9780764211409

After false accusation were made against Abigail Stuart by her step father, she has no choice but to take a nursing job caring for prisoners of war. As the war is set to end, her favorite patient Romeo, who claims to be Jeremiah Calhoun realizes he may not make it, so he asks her to marry him. This is to be a marriage of convenience for both of them. They agree if he dies she would take care of his mother, sick sister and his ranch. In return she would have a home to call her own. After his death she arrives at his homestead and settles in with his reluctant family. Just as she is making a home for herself among his family Jeremiah Calhoun show up. That is the real Jeremiah, the one Romeo claimed to be and he is alive and well. She has married an imposter that only cared that Jeremiah’s sister would be well taken care of. Abigail and Jeremiah both have take charge personalities so they clash as their stubborn attitude gets in the way. Sparks fly and love is in the air but will their pride and honor be the obstacle to keep them apart. You will have to read A Most Inconvenient Marriage to find out the fate of Abigail and Jeremiah. I loved their story and know you will too.
I found some of the scenes to be laugh out loud funny. Especially the scene with the horse. The author Regina Jennings did a fantastic job of mixing danger, love, faith and humor. It was well written, fast paced and a fun read. I found A Most Inconvenient Marriage to be worthy of 5 stars. I highly recommend it.

I want to thank the author Regina Jennings and publisher Bethany House for bringing good clean Christian books like this one to readers like me. I would also like to thank The Book Club Network Inc. for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  inspiremichelle | Jan 5, 2015 |
A Most Inconvenient Marriage by Regina Jennings is one of the most enjoyable historical fiction romances of Ms. Jennings books I have ever read. It is filled to brimming with action, suspense, mystery, laughs, and warm-hearted family drama. I read this book twice before writing this review, and the second reading was even better than the first.

The setting is Civil War Missouri, first in the prison in St. Louis, and finally on a farm in the Ozarks. Abigail Stuart has spent the past two years as a nurse to the weak and dying in that prison, regardless of which side of the war they served. One particularly charming soldier was beyond hope, yet he talked of his lovely Juliet as if he were Romeo. But then, when he finally realized he would not heal, he pleaded with Abigail to live with his mother and sister, to take care of them and his horse farm--as his wife. Abigail's first response was to refuse his suit. She eventually relented and married him and laid him to rest in a St. Louis cemetery. Since she had no other future, she headed for the farm. He had provided her specific directions and descriptions. Her heart was warmed when she was welcomed by the Ozark family as Mrs. Jeremiah Calhoun.

Then one day, the real Captain Jeremiah Calhoun returned home. He had never seen this woman who claimed to be his wife/widow before and Abigail wondered who she had married; yet had a paper saying she was married to Jeremiah.Jeremiah Calhoun wanted to throw this usurper out on her head, but his mother wouldn't let him. Right from the beginning he was suspicious of Abby's presence on his farm. Was she trying to swindle it out from under his family? And how was he to court Laurel Wallace, his sweetheart from before the war, while others believed him married already? Even Laurel had her doubts and a new man in her life, Dr. Newton Hopkins. However, Jeremiah was willing to fight for her.

Besides the contention between the major characters, there is great historical strife among the factions within the state, represented by the diversity of folks living in the hill farms that make up the setting for this book. The story is not overly political, but the divisiveness offers more dimension to flesh out the story nicely. And I learned some new things about the civil war era. Because of the distrust local families had for each other, the presence of riff-raff wandering the hills stealing horses and livestock, plundering homes and shooting people, Abigail was forced to stay close to the Calhoun's farm whether Jeremiah wanted her there or not. The author has skillfully built tension on top of existing tension.

The second thing I really appreciate about the author's writing style is how she provides comic relief in the form of two very mischievous children, Josiah and Betsy Huckabee. Those two were determined to pester Abigail, but she kept besting them at their own games. The pranks played back and forth kept me laughing all throughout the book. My favorite come-back was the dough face episode. You'll just have to read that to discover what that was all about.

Thirdly, the characterization of Jeremiah and Abigail is done well. Abigail had been annoyed by Jeremiah's overbearing demanding personality the moment she met him. Jeremiah himself had to hide his attraction to her, doubting himself and burying it under gruff behavior. He also didn't feel right about his involvement in the war, how his injury forced him to be hidden by Quakers in their cellar while his wounds healed, had doubts about his future with Laurel and frustrated over his confrontations with Abigail. He kept it all hidden behind the stiff, uncaring demeanor of a Captain. How he worked through all the mess is one element that makes this book worth reading repeatedly.

Finally, the romances developed in this story (all four of them) are satisfying to read. The issues all these characters faced were realistic and plausible. The author writes the personality dynamics so well that I easily got lost in the tug-of-war even the second time when I knew what to expect. Very good writing. I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy historical fiction and romances blended together.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary review copy of this book from Netgalley on behalf of Bethany House Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Beverlylynnt | Jan 3, 2015 |
A Most Inconvenient Marriage by Regina Jennings
1865, Missouri Abigail is a nurse tending for those prisoners, it's war time and she's lost both her parents.
Her latest patient, Captain Jeremiah Calhoun has the solution to all their problems. She will marry him and return to his horse farm and to help tend to the horses.
She is very familiar with horses and being a nurse she can care for his ailing sister, Rachel. After his sudden death she travels to his farm in the Ozarks and his mother welcomes her with open arms. It's Rachel that doubts what she's been told about her brothers death.
Problem is, it is not Jeremiah who married her and died. We find out who it was through clues that bring heartache to the family.
Now that he's back and running the farm, his leg pain is terrible and he listens to Abigail and she has an idea of how to repair the damage with therapy so that he may walk again. He so wants to fulfill his fiance's dream after waiting over 4 years for his return from the war.
Problem is, she has taking a liking to the doctor thinking Jeremiah was dead. Bit of confusion to others, are they married or not? He can't get rid of her and her headaches soon enough, but the horses need her there....
Like all the horse references and the travel involved. Action in the woods that comes to light and effects them all, so much a search party is sent to track down the culprits....
Secrets come out in the form of something said that didn't quite make sense and others realize something just isn't right.
I received this book from The Book Club Network (BookFun.org) in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Dec 22, 2014 |

Abigail Stuart Thought She was Jeremiah Calhoun's Widow.
But Jeremiah Calhoun Is Very Handsome, Very Alive, and Very Perplexed.
Most Inconvenient Indeed.

With few options of her own, nurse Abigail Stuart agrees to marry her patient, a gravely wounded soldier calling himself Jeremiah Calhoun. They arrange a quick ceremony before he dies, giving Abigail the rights to his Ozark farm and giving Jeremiah the peace of knowing someone will care for his ailing sister after he's gone--a practical solution for both of them.

After the war, Abigail fulfills her side of the bargain--until the real Jeremiah Calhoun shows up, injured but definitely alive, and wastes no time in challenging Abigail's story. Abigail is flummoxed. After months of claiming to be his widow, how can she explain that she's never seen this Jeremiah Calhoun before? How can she convince him that she isn't trying to steal his farm? And will she find a way to stay, even though this practical arrangement has turned into a most inconvenient marriage?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:55 -0400)

"Having fled a difficult home life, Civil War nurse Abigail Stuart feels like her only friend in the world is sweet but gravely wounded patient Jeremiah Calhoun. Fearing he won't survive, the Confederate soldier's last wish is that Abigail look after his sickly sister at home. Marry him, return to his horse farm, and it'll be hers. Left with few choices, Abigail takes him up on his offer and moves to Missouri after his death, but just as the family learns to accept her, the real Jeremiah Calhoun appears--puzzled to find a confounding woman posing as his wife. Jeremiah is determined to have his life back to how it was before the war, but his own wounds limit what he can do on his own. Still not fully convinced Abigail isn't duping him, he's left with no choice but to let the woman stay and help--not admitting to himself she may provide the healing his entire family needs."--"To fulfill a Confederate soldier's dying wish, Civil War nurse Abigail Stuart marries him and agrees to look after his sister in the Missouri Ozarks. But then the real Jeremiah Calhoun appears alive"--… (more)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,363,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible