Shark Skin Suite by Tim Dorsey

Shark Skin Suite

by Tim Dorsey

4.4 (1) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 21st century (1) action adventure (1) Coleman (1) crime (2) crime fiction (2) ebook (3) ER (1) fiction (7) Florida (7) HC (1) humor (6) Kindle (2) lawyers (3) library (1) LN (1) murder (1) mystery (7) OML (1) own (1) read (1) satire (1) Serge Storms (3) serial killer (1) series (1) thriller (1) to-read (6) William Morrow (1)

Loads of humor and fun Florida factoids in this caper featuring a mortgage fraud court case complete with crooked lawyers, a lovable psychopathic killer and every form of low life in between. Shark Skin Suite is #18 in the series but I didn’t have any trouble keeping up with the characters or the plot line. It did leave me wondering how there could be any weird Florida trivia left after 17 books. There was plenty, though, believe me.

I received this book for free through the Good Reads First Reads program
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Not the best Serge Storms novel. First time I didn't laugh out loud while reading this series. I think Serge is done :(. Also, the story jumped around too much. ( )
  andsoitgoes | Mar 10, 2015 |
There comes a time, in regards to every great book series where the reader realizes it is time for the series to end. Unfortunately the author and or publisher seldom would agree, and therefore you wind up reading books in a series that seem to have been written on autopilot. It has happened with most of my favorite authors; James Lee Burke, Clive Cussler, and now Tim Dorsey.
I started this series when Florida Roadkill first came out based solely on its title and was glad I did. I still recommend Triggerfish Twist to anyone who asks what is one of my favorite books. But the last five books have slowing become a chore to get through.
Shark Skin Suite could have been a great book, but it wasn't. The reason it wasn't is the author I think has realized he can dial it in and still sell books. The author ironically go on and on about another Key West legend Jimmy Buffett, who also learned long ago he could write or record anything and his fans would buy it or go to his concerts, even though the show hasn't changed in 15 years. Regarding Serge, Colman, Mahoney all were one dimensional, appearing to be as bored with the story as this reader. The pace of the book was slower than any of the other books in the series, the last few books have read more and more like travel books visiting places in Florida off the beaten track and peppered with trivia, that after awhile was just tiring.
Even the usual Manic Serge seems to be slowing down. Colman's role was a complete afterthought, the book starts in the past then moves into the present but jumps around as usual all over the place. There is the group of elderly women which adds nothing to the story. Serge's love interest is not the usual bimbo that Serge winds up with and therefore wasn't funny. Lastly Tim needs to get off his liberal high horse, Florida of all places proves conservatives are not the only evil people in Florida. I really hope Mr. Dorsey tries his had with some new ideas and new characters, because this series has completely "jumped the Shark". ( )
1 vote zmagic69 | Mar 7, 2015 |
Shark Skin Suite is pretty light weight in the Serge Storms series. Some books in the series have been great. Others, like this one, have been a good read, but really nothing special. I'd like to see Dorsey develop a new series, since he's a good writer and enjoyable to read; but about every other book in the series, including this one, makes it appear he's run out of anything really interesting to make you want to read another one. ( )
  bjkelley | Feb 28, 2015 |
Review based on ARC.

This is my first Dorsey and, of course, my first Serge Storms. Serge Storms .... appears to be some kind of serial killer homicidal psychotic maniac ... but, ya know, over the course of 18 books, may have become "loveable" and "your favorite." While I don't adamantly disagree with that, I also don't agree. And I suspect that has something to do with the fact that I'm coming at this 18 books in. Although the actual plot in this book can stand alone, all the inside jokes and characteristics and personalities must have taken 17 books to develop, so I think I missed out there. SO my recommendation based on that is: Don't start this "series" with #18!

So, while my rating is based on my experience with this book (and *not* decreased because I felt like I was missing out), it is possible that it would have been *increased* if I happened to know more about the background of these characters and, e.g., what the point, exactly, was with some of them (Serge's best friend Coleman).

But the story. So Serge is this... vigilante, really. He's one of those bad guys w/ a heart of gold who seeks to "even the score." And in this book, he meets this young, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed girl and maybe that, combined with a late-night legal movie spree sets him on this mission to... well, become involved in the legal field. Not legally, of course. But aggressively. He insinuates himself in all manner of ways -- he becomes a "fixer" (as a lawyer, I must confess I've never heard of this...) -- someone who "fixes problems" behind-the-scenes (think Nancy Kerrigan and much much worse). In his true psychotic style. And working for the little good guys, he slowly works his way through each of the problems to the final climax of the book.

Think: if Grisham met Evanovich and they co-wrote a sort of Grisham parody really quickly. That's this book. It's fast, there are moments of humor, it doesn't take itself too seriously, it handles some legal issues not terribly accurately, it creates problems for its solutions, and it throws in some love and some scorn and vengeance in there.

If that sounds like your thing? This will not disappoint. ( )
  avanders | Dec 15, 2014 |

Bottom feeders beware: the Sunshine State’s favorite psychotic killer and lovable Floridaphile Serge Storms has found a new calling, legal eagle, and he’s going to make a killing as a crusading attorney—and star as a dashing lawyer on the big screen—in this madcap escapade from the insanely funny New York Times bestselling author Tim Dorsey.

When it comes to swimming with the sharks, there is no bigger kahuna than Serge Storms. Binging on a marathon of legal movies set in Florida, Serge finds his calling: the law. Never mind law school or that degree, Serge becomes a freelance fixer—wildcat paralegal and pilgrim to the hallowed places where legal classics of the big screen such as Body Heat, Cool Hand Luke, and Absence of Malice were filmed practically in his own backyard.

One of Serge’s old flames, young lawyer Brook Campanella, is also a rising star thanks to her expertise in the field of foreclosure law. Ruthless at taking down the greedy banksters kicking people out of their homes, she lands a major class-action lawsuit, and wins big. The opposition is determined to shut her down and they’ll go to extreme lengths to do it.

Luckily for her, Serge has been hired to do some investigative legwork on the case. There's nothing he likes better than saving a damsel in distress, especially when it means kicking a bunch of shyster butt. The mayhem comes to a hilarious head at the Key West courthouse, at the height of the island’s raucous Fantasy Fest street carnival, and no one, including Serge, will ever be the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:51 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible