The Rottweiler by Ruth Rendell

The Rottweiler (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Ruth Rendell

619915,730 (3.31)20
Member:Robynnlee
Title:The Rottweiler
Authors:Ruth Rendell
Info:Hutchinson
Rating:***1/2
Tags:London murder mystery

The Rottweiler by Ruth Rendell (2003)

English (7)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (9)
I am a big fan of Rendell's standalone novels, but I was quite disappointed in this one. Other reviews complain about the fact that she revealed who the murderer was very early, but in many of her standalone novels, the identity of the murderer/criminal is never in question. Her psychological analyses of the individuals are what makes the books so good. But in my opinion, this book was too cluttered with superfluous characters and their stories, and the killer's story wasn't that interesting. It sort of felt like she was phoning this one in. ( )
  AlaMich | May 2, 2012 |
This isn't really about a serial killer and it isn't a murder mystery - it feels more like an expanded set of short stories that are all linked together. I would call it a 'motive mystery.' I don't mind knowing who the killer is early on - being in that character's head or having that piece of information usually makes the story a bit creepier than a regular mystery. Though not as creepy as I wanted it to be, I still suspected all the characters of hiding some horrible secret or keeping a sinister motive. I disliked most of the characters in the beginning, and my preferences for some characters over others shifted as the story went on. I am not satisfied with some of the resolution - I wish the last chapter hadn't been there at all, or at least had not tied up the ending so neatly. ( )
1 vote sarah-e | Apr 14, 2011 |
I generally like Rendell's work, but this one is very pedestrian and lacking any characters I could like. Virtually everyone in the story is bent, even though they are supposedly ordinary people. The killer is identified half way through, and the remainder of the book follows his attempts to understand his pathology and explores the various crooked foibles of the other characters. I finished it, but only. Two stars are for books I finish but would never ever waste time reading a second time. One star is reserved for books I throw against the wall in disgust before finishing them. ( )
  BillHall | Feb 16, 2011 |
Not one of her better stories. I didn't like it that after a few chapters it's revealed who the killer is. And the ending was disappointing and quite sudden. ( )
  TessaSlingerland | Aug 8, 2009 |
When the body of the first victim is discovered, the bite mark on her neck prompts the media to name the killer "The Rottweiler". But as the death toll rises, it becomes clear that the bite mark was incidental. For, what distinguishes this killer is not bite marks but rather his taking a small trinket from each of his victims as a macabre souvenir. Focusing their investigation near Lisson Grove, the ethnically diverse London neighborhood where all of the young women lived, the police discover that the items taken from the victims are turning up in an old antique shop. Alternates between the inner life of a killer and the daily activities of those who pass through the shop and who might be the Rottweiler's next victim.
  kattykathy | May 7, 2007 |

Ruth Rendellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Costigliola, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The first murder victim had a bite mark on her neck. When the tabloids got hold of the story, they immediately called the deranged killer 'The Rottweiler', and the name stuck. The latest body was discovered very near Inez Ferry's antique shop in Marylebone. Someone spotted a shadowy figure running away past the station, but couldn't say for sure if it was a man or a woman. There were only two other clues. The murderer seemed to have a preference for strangling his victims and then removing something personal - like a cigarette lighter or a necklace. Trinkets very similar to those mysteriously appearing in Inez's shop...Since her actor husband died, too early into their marriage, Inez supplemented her modest income by taking in tenants above the shop. As her collection of antique trinkets grows, so does Inez's fear that she is harbouring a psychopathic murderer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:49 -0400)

The first girl had a bite mark on her neck, but the police traced the DNA to her boyfriend. Nevertheless, when the tabloids got hold of the story, they called the killer 'The Rottweiler', and the name stuck.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,212,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible