The Octopus Scientists (Scientists in the…

The Octopus Scientists (Scientists in the Field Series)

by Sy Montgomery

Summary: This book is a chapter book about the different aspects of octopuses and what the scientists studying them think of them. Instead of writing it in a more textbook based format, the author instead making it more like a factual conversation with quotes from the scientists, fact paragraphs scattered through the book, and a more informal writing style for middle school age readers.
Review: The book is highly informational about octopuses and the adventures the scientists have had with them, and does a good job of describing/ explaining the animals and their habits. ( )
  C-Roy | Feb 19, 2017 |
This book, as the title suggests, is a book about the mysterious octopus and the scientists who study them. The pages are filled with quite a bit of text, so I would use it with older readers, but are also filled with colorful photographs, graphics, maps, etc. Not only are these scientists searching to learn more about the environment that octupuses live in, but they want to know more about how they think and interact with the world around them. This book would be a great example of scientific inquiry, as well as providing with students on information about more types of jobs they can go into involving science. Another great thing about this book is that the team it focuses on is made up of both female and male scientists of all ages and educational backgrounds from all over the world. This diversity and representation is really important for students to see.
  apoffenroth13 | Sep 11, 2016 |
Join scientists as they meet, make friends with, and discover new things about octopuses every day. See beautiful documentation of how they camouflage, change color, and what they eat. ( )
  bradfordtam | Jul 15, 2016 |
I usually really enjoy Sy Montgomery's writing and I am a big fan of octopuses, so I was surprised that I didn't get into this more.

Montgomery follows a group of scientists beginning a research project on octopuses on the island of Moorea. Some of them are researching the animals' feeding habits, some of them are investigating their personalities and psychological makeup, and they are all working towards collecting enough data to analyze whether octopuses are threatened as a species or not.

The text is interspersed with stunning underwater photographs, lots of octopuses, and other shots of the island and research materials, like the shells and bits from the octopuses garbage piles. There are sections explaining different facets of the animals' biology, like how they change color and their influence in history and culture. Interviews with the various scientists are interspersed with the story of their research. There's a sum of the team's research and questions still to be answered at the end of the book, as well as a bibliography and index.

Verdict: So, I like this series, this author, and this animal. But somehow the book just didn't engage me and I kept comparing it to Montgomery's stunning Tapir Scientists. I didn't feel as interested in the various scientists and the story of their research seemed cut short. I wouldn't not recommend this, but I was disappointed that I didn't get into it as much as I wanted to. I may be feeling a little wishy-washy today.

ISBN: 9780544232709; Published 2015 by Houghton Mifflin; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Dec 5, 2015 |
This would be a great book to share with the class if the lesson was about undersea life or, more specifically, octopuses. The book presents the information is a fun way that children can understand and find interesting. They describe this interesting looking thing as being an alien, something that is out of this world. They are also described as being super heroes because of their ability to "shape-shift, change color, squirt ink, pour itself through the tiniest of openings, or jet away through the sea faster than a swimmer can follow". This book allows children to understand more about octopuses and think more about life in the ocean. ( )
  hspanier | Nov 9, 2015 |
To Wilson Menashi, who taught me so much about octopuses. -S.M.
To a future diver and underwater explorer, my loving niece, Maya Ellenbogen. -K.E.
The ocean is the world's largest wilderness, covering 70 perecent of the surface of the globe.
The sea is home to creatures whose weirdness rivals that of the strangest sci-fi aliens anyone ever imagined.
Not only can one squeeze its three-foot-long arms and melon-size body throug a hole the size of a thimble; it can alos hide in plain sight.

Part of the award-winning Scientists in the Field series, The Octopus Scientists takes readers to the waters off of Moorea, Tahiti to study the mind of the mollusk. Follow scientists as they uncover the secrets of its advanced intelligence and learn what these thinking, feeling creatures have to teach us about the oceans, its animals, and ourselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:34 -0400)

Looks at the work of renowned octopus scientist Jennifer Mather and a team of researchers on the island of Moorea, where they work to learn more about octopuses and their behavior.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,009,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible