Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma…

Etta and Otto and Russell and James (2015)

by Emma Hooper

English (35)  German (1)  All (36)
-- This novel by Emma Hooper is fresh like springtime. Story isn't told in straight line but meanders from WWI (or WWII) to present and back many times. Elderly Ella sets off "au pied" on mission to see the ocean before she dies & is soon joined by James, a dog. Author was raised in Canada & now teaches in England. -- ( )
  MinaIsham | May 2, 2017 |
A very late review for a gentle, but moving book. I loved the characters, and enjoyed reading about WW2 from a new perspective, that of Canadian forces, and their love ones. The modern part of the story, revolving around Etta as an old lady walking across Canada to the East Coast was strange in places, and perhaps a little underdeveloped for me, but very engaging.

I received a digital copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  RachelMartin | Feb 22, 2017 |

RachelMartin | Feb 22, 2017 |
Eighty-three year-old Etta leaves a note for her husband, Otto, saying that she always wanted to see the water. Thus begins her journey from a dusty farm in SasKatchewan, Canada to the ocean. Randall, their neighbor and Otto's best friend, takes off after Etta to find and protect her, because she is the only woman he has ever loved. James accompanies Etta on her journey and thru James we hear Etta's story.

The story bounces back and forth among the characters and the settings change as the story moves from past to present and back again. At times, I found the story hard to follow. in addition to the multiple points of view and time frames, the story is told as if it's a dream world. This is a very quirky, but interesting story. ( )
  lrobe190 | Dec 26, 2016 |
This was my book club pick. I really wanted to love this book. There is a lot I did like about it and I personally enjoyed Emma's style of writing in this story. One of our members really loved the book and felt it really spoke to her. The other 4 felt very let down and confused by the ending. We came up with several theories but we just didn't leave this book with a feel good feeling it was more like "What the Hell?" If you go in knowing it is a story that is a bit of a fantasy and you don't need to understand it all then you might enjoy it better. Reading the book club questions and the interview with Emma in the back gave some helpful insight. I just could not give it a solid 4 because I was just left so unfulfilled. ( )
  theeccentriclady | Jul 26, 2016 |
For C & T always and always on and on.
For C & T always and always on and on
Otto, The letter began, in blue ink.
Otto, The letter began, in blue ink, I've gone.

Otto, The letter began, in blue ink. I've gone. I've never seen the water, so I've gone there. Don't worry, I've left you the truck. I can walk. I will try to remember to come back. Yours (always), Etta Otto find the note left by his wife in the kitchen of their farmhouse in windswept Saskatchewan. According to the globe, eighty-three-year-old Etta will be walking 3,200 kilometers to see the ocean. Otto understands. He took his own journey once before, to fight in a faraway land. But with Etta gone, Otto struggles with his demons of war. Their friend Russell determinedly tracks the woman he has loved from afar. Like Etta, both men will discover an inner strength they never expected. And James-well, James you have to meet on the page. Rocking back and forth with the pull of the waves, these characters' journeys move from the hot and dry present of a quiet Canadian farm to a dusty, burnt past of hunger, war, passion, and hope, from trying to remember to trying to forget. (ARC)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible