Zodiac Station: A Novel by Tom Harper

Zodiac Station: A Novel (2014)

by Tom Harper

A lone skier, half-dead with cold, emerges out of the deadly cold of the Arctic Circle. He's nearly frozen to death, and there's blood on his clothing, and what looks like a bullet hole though his jacket. But he hasn't been shot...

His name is Tom Anderson, and he is the only survivor of a disaster at Zodiac Station, a scientific research base deep in the Arctic Circle. He tells an incredible story of scientists and spies, of lust and greed, of jealousy, mayhem and murder. But his tale simply doesn't add up. Whose blood is smeared across his clothes? Why is that jacket labelled with someone else's name?

Hmm not my type of book, I thought reading the synopsis and some reviews liking it to The Thing and The Terror (which I loved) it would be a chilly horror/supernatural tale but was an out and out adventure type thriller. Well enough written but not what I was expecting and lost interest about half way through..... so not rating it as I read it by accident :)
  jan.fleming | Nov 9, 2015 |
This is a good book - it is engaging from a variety of perspectives, well written, nicely developed.

The main character (Anderson) is a lab technician who is summoned to the arctic by a former teacher of his. However, upon arriving he finds that his mentor has died under what seem to be suspicious circumstances, leaving him with no idea what the scientist had been working on, but becoming aware that someone may want him dead, as well.

The story is effectively developed through telling it from a couple of perspectives. The initial setup is effective, the story develops very nicely through the various "tellings," and there are a few quite interesting twists that tease the reader very nicely.

The book is not overly committed to being an "action" adventure - it seems content to be a modest thriller, and succeeds very nicely. ( )
  jpporter | Oct 5, 2015 |
This book is told in alternating chapters by the survivors of a disastrous event at an Arctic scientific exploration station. Each has a slightly different perspective and may or may not be a reliable witness. It is reminiscent of both Michael Crichton's thrillers and also of classic whodunits set in a closed or isolated community.

The author seems to have done a lot of research on the Arctic and also on the various scientific disciplines represented by the inhabitants of Zodiac Station. I thought that he explained the science well and I didn't have a problem following it. This was a suspenseful and intelligent thriller. I liked the characters, ordinary men and women thrown into extreme circumstances.

The solution to the mystery was a little abrupt and I would have preferred more closure at the end of the book. It's possible that the author is setting things up for a sequel but that isn't necessary. Everything is answered in this book. Things just are not tied up as neatly as I expected. However I enjoyed this book and I also liked The Orpheus Descent by the same author. I'll probably read more by him.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. ( )
1 vote fhudnell | May 3, 2015 |

In the Arctic Ocean, the US Coast Guard icebreaker Terra Nova batters its way through the pack ice. There shouldn't be anyone near them for hundreds of miles. But then a lone skier, half-dead with cold, emerges out of the snow. His name is Tom Anderson, and he is the only survivor of a disaster at Zodiac Station, a scientific research base deep in the Arctic Circle. He tells an incredible story of scientists and spies, of lust and greed, of jealousy, mayhem and murder. But his tale simply doesn't add up. Whose blood is smeared across his clothes? Why is there a bullet hole through the jacket he's wearing, and why is that jacket labeled with someone else's name? It's clear that more was going on at Zodiac Station than Anderson is telling. And someone else may have survived the disaster, as well... someone who has killed before, and who is willing to kill again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,243,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible