Peanut Butter & Cupcake by Terry Border

Peanut Butter & Cupcake

by Terry Border

I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because of the language and illustrations. The language of the book was very descriptive yet clear enough for a young child to understand. Every page of the book was covered in vivid images of real photos of food accompanied by wire arms and legs. The pictures were awesome! The only dislike I had about the book was the fact that the plot did not align with the title. The title made me believe that Peanut Butter would only be able to make friends with Cupcake. Peanut Butter ended up only making friends with Jelly until the end, Cupcake did not want to be friends with Peanut Butter. The effect of the language and illustrations makes me realize my likes of the book outweighed my only dislike. The big idea of the story is that friends are hard to come by so when you find a match, stick by them, but always be friendly even to those who are not so friendly back. ( )
  JordynFlorance | Sep 24, 2017 |
Peanut Butter & Cupcake is such a clever book for children in preschool up to second grade. The title is what caught my attention, but one should not be fooled by the title because the character Cupcake has a very minimal role in the story. The theme of this book is about friendship. Peanut Butter is new to the town and just wants someone to be his friend and play with him, but it seems like the rest of the characters are too busy or just plain mean, that is until Jelly walks up to Peanut Butter and says that she will be his friend. Once everyone sees how much fun they are having together playing soccer, they all want to join in. The message here is that you should never be too busy for someone who wants to be your friend because they may just end up being someone you really like.

I absolutely loved the realistic qualities of each character. The photographs of the peanut butter on bread, the hamburger, the hot dogs, the cupcake, the egg, the meatball, the fries and the soup were so clear and realistic that you could almost pick up the food and eat it off the page. I liked how the author brought these characters to life by giving them arms and legs made of wire; this way they could do activities like jump rope, walk the dogs, and play soccer. The thing I like most about his book is how much it makes kids laugh when I read it aloud. There is a rhyming chorus in this book that is repeated every time Peanut Butter tries to make a new friend. He says, “Hello, I’m new here, and I’d like to play. Maybe now, maybe later – or even all day. I’ll make you chuckle deep down in your belly. And we’ll go together like Peanut Butter and . . . French Fries!” Kids love this because they obviously know that that this pairing of the two foods do not fit correctly. The text/ storyline is very well paced and as it follows Peanut Butter’s travels from meeting one character to the next. Even though the story itself is humorous, it would not be the same without the realistic characters and the uniquely designed setting. ( )
  Nkelln1 | Sep 18, 2017 |
Peanut Butter and Cupcake is the story of Peanut Butter who is looking for a playmate to play ball with. He asks everyone he meets if they'll play with him, but no one agrees until he runs into Jelly. The pictures in this book are done as actually photos of food pieces, like cupcakes, hamburgers, bowls of soup, etc. all propped up and positioned as if they were playing and talking with wire hands and feet to provide a little more gesture to them. This is such a creative scheme that I love so much. The theme of finding your perfect friend, the Peanut Butter to your Jelly, is really sweet, especially as everyone comes together to play a game of ball at the end even after rejecting Peanut Butter initially. It's also really fun to read aloud with kids as the language is very repetitive and after Peanut Butter asks to play, they can all yell out the name of the food that he is asking. Even better is when they yell out, "Jelly!" and you as the teacher get to correct them and say, "cupcake" instead, prompting all of the kids to giggle. ( )
  LeslieMuir | Mar 18, 2017 |
The gimmick is fantastic, and the theme is important, but the reread value is, imo, nil.  Other books have done the theme better, often. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Peanut butter is new to town and searching for a friend. He asks around and repeats his poetic request until he finally finds his match.
I would use this modern fantasy to practice prediction skills and looking for clues in a text/illustrations with k-2nd.
Media: photographs of manipulated 3-D objects. ( )
  catherineparry | Mar 31, 2016 |

For fans of The Day the Crayons Quit, Little Pea, or How Are You Peeling?

What’s a little piece of bread to do when he’s feeling lonely? Find a friend, of course!

And that’s exactly what Peanut Butter tries to do. But sometimes friends are hard to come by, especially when Hamburger has to walk his (hot) dogs, Cupcake is too busy building castles in her sprinkle box, and Egg laughs so hard he starts to crack up! Does Peanut Butter have a soulmate? Young readers will know the answer long before Peanut Butter does and laugh along with each mismatched pairing.

In a story that pairs silliness with poignancy, and friendship with anthropomorphic food, Terry Border, the photography mastermind behind the Bent Objects project, makes a triumphant entrance into the children's book world. Complete with a rhyming refrain, this is sure to be a favorite family read-aloud--and laugh-aloud.

Praise for PEANUT BUTTER & CUPCAKE

"Border’s witty food comedy will lure children who are hungry for clever visual entertainment."--Publishers Weekly

"[T]he creatively zany photographs...will make this a read-aloud hit."--School Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:59 -0400)

Peanut Butter sets out with his soccer ball to find a friend after moving to a new town, but everyone from Hamburger to Soup seems to be too busy to play.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,737,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible