The Unwritten Vol. 10: War Stories by Mike…

The Unwritten Vol. 10: War Stories

by Mike Carey, Peter Gross (Illustrator)

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All (6)
The series is rebounding a bit from the crossover. I enjoyed Tom's journey from through the genres, climbing up the ladder from Aesop and the fables to books that have both animals and humans as characters ([book:The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe|100915]), until he makes it back to the literally war torn "real" world, but at this point figuring out the difference between fiction and Tom's reality is impossible. ( )
  Bodagirl | Jan 13, 2016 |
Summary: The Leviathan has been wounded, and the boundaries between stories are weakening and failing faster than ever. Tom Taylor, son of the author Wilson Taylor, and invested with the magical powers of the hero of his father's stories, finds himself lost in stories, trying to get back to the real world - which is, of course, just another story. Meanwhile, the real world is in danger of being torn apart itself, as it is flooded with characters from other stories - in particular, all of the thousands of war stories are simultaneously intersecting with the real London, turning the city into the war zone to end all war zones, which means that Tom and his friends will have real battles to fight before they can hope to reach the forces that are ultimately hoping to put an end to the power of words.

Review: The Unwritten is wrapping up - this is the penultimate volume - and a lot of storylines from earlier in the series are present here, as things begin to be brought to a head. I love the ideas behind this series, about the power of stories to shape our lives and our worlds and our histories, so much that it's difficult to really evaluate any single volume separate from the whole. I'm definitely going to have to go back after the series is complete and read the whole thing beginning to end in order to really appreciate everything that's going on. That said, this volume was certainly interesting, and had a lot of really cool elements that I look forward to seeing how Carey brings together in the end. (I was also so happy to see Narnia pop up towards the beginning of the book, and sort of surprised that it hadn't appeared before now.) 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  fyrefly98 | May 3, 2015 |
My blog post about this book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 10, 2015 |
The Unwritten: War Stories (Collects #1-5 of The Unwritten Apocalypse)
This series is brilliant and just keeps getting better! ( )
  angellreads | Dec 22, 2014 |
After the - frankly pretty awful - crossover volume with Fables, this came as something of a relief. I was harbouring thoughts of not maintaining my order for this series, til I read this (and saw it was the penultimate volume of the series. Completist that I am I want to have the full series, which over the series so far - yes, including The Ship that Sank Twice - has proved a veritable delight for meta-fiction fans. This volume, War Stories, is a mini return to form. Not quite hitting the heights of previous earlier volumes but certainly better than that disastrous Fables volume. I speak as someone who has rather enjoyed the limited amount of engagement I have had with the Fables world - but sadly the tone was all over the place when colliding with Tommy Taylor. A shame; but thankfully this War Stories volume restores some of my passion for the series and I will certainly be completing it. ( )
1 vote RullsenbergLisa | Oct 19, 2014 |

Mike Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gross, PeterIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible