Dead New World by Ryan Hill

Dead New World

by Ryan Hill

I received a copy from author/publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. The following review is my own and will not be affected by this.

When I was first approached to review Dead New World, I was immediately drawn to the cover. Isn’t it spooky? It had me wondering just what on earth is going on in this Dead New World. I have to say, I am not a zombie kind of person at all but I went ahead and decided to read a Dead New World just to see if maybe zombies will finally win me over.

The New World
Dead New World introduces us to a United States after The Tribulation. It doesn’t give much detail as to when or how the Tribulation began because the main characters Ambrose and Holt are young and do not remember a world before the Tribulation.At least that the theory I came up with, personally I would have liked to have seen some history of the Tribulation so that I could understand the history better. However, you know one thing zombies are everywhere and they are a threat to the human race. Humans are slowly dying out and zombies are taking over thanks to their leader The Reverend. Sixteen year olds are now drafted into the military to serve a tour of about seven years once their time is up (if they survive) they move on with their lives. It is truly a darker United States, one where you have to fight every single day to make sure you survive.

I thought the world building was decent. I got the feeling that the United States was in a dark gloomy place after the Tribulation had taken place. The only issues I had with it were there was no clear explanation of The Tribulation, there were instances where older members of the military would mention something and the character wouldn’t know what they were talking about because they were too young to remember. However, I think a little bit more background would’ve been nice to really push the story for me. I had some questions that I wish would have been answered such as who is in charge of the United States, there was no mention of the president but the military was still in place, so whose in charge? One thing I found a bit too much for someone who doesn't know much about weapons I would get lost when the mentioned of different weapons were mentioned several times. I thought it was bit much for someone who doesn't know anything about weapons but if you do know a lot about them then it is absolutely perfect for you.

Characters
Dead New World is told through Holt’s point of view, he is a young soldier stationed at Fort Braggs. The other main character is Ambrose, I would have loved to have seen his point of view of things, I think it would have made the story so much better for me. Anyway when we first meet Ambrose and Holt they are on a mission to search and destroy but the mission doesn’t go as planned resulting in something that changes both their lives forever. Holt has part of his leg blown off which results in him having to use a prosthetic leg in order to return to duty. When Holt wakes up he is in a hospital at Fort Simmons and has been out of it for about four days that’s when he learns about Ambrose.

Ambrose was bitten by a zombie which meant he should’ve had turned into a zombie a couple hours if not minutes after the bite. He however, doesn’t and four days later he still hasn’t completely turned. He is half zombie and half human. Is that possible? After further studies, the doctors come to a conclusion that since Ambrose hasn’t completely turned days after being bitten then he may not turn completely zombie. He is then cleared and sent back to Fort Braggs to return to duty.

At Fort Simmons, we meet another important character but we don’t get much of her towards the ends of the story her name is Nancy. She is the nurse that helped both Holt and Ambrose back to recovery. However, her and Holt began a relationship while he was recovering but broke it off soon after because he knew he would have to return to Fort Braggs. Nancy is always on Holt’s mind no matter what, he can never truly stop thinking about her or caring about her. And that just might get him killed.

Twists and Turns with a little bit of War

The Reverend and his horsemen have complete control over the zombies, the military has tried to capture him but he is always one step ahead of them. Then one night an attack on Fort Braggs occurs, zombies destroy and kill everyone in their path or try to. Leaving very few survivors, Holt, Ambrose and Private Bart go on a mission to make sure Fort Simmons wasn’t attacked. Only to find out that Fort Simmons was also attacked and there is hardly any survivors. Gabriel (the man who was involved with Nancy after Holt) is one of the only survivors in Fort Simmons where he informs Holt and Ambrose that Nancy was kidnap by the horsemen.

This event sets the tone of the story; Holt and Ambrose must rescue Nancy from the awful fate of turning into a zombie. On their mission to save her they discover the Reverend’s true plan along with other surprising details that play out in the story. There were many twists and turns I did not see coming. I really enjoyed how the author tied together every twist and turn in the story. I did not see many of them occurring and I loved that. I felt like the story got a lot stronger once we got to the rescue mission, the world building turning this part of the story was well executed and I was able to envision the story much better.

I thought the author also did an excellent job of including details of things that have occurred right now into a futuristic story. For instance, he includes comic books and relates Ambrose to Spider-man. He also drops other hints of things occurring now into the story which I found really helped me see just how much had change throughout this new world.

Overall
Dead New World in the beginning was not my cup of tea but the second part of the story really redeems itself for me. I enjoyed it a lot more then I expected, I did have some issues like I mentioned before the lack of information of the Tribulation and I would have liked better world building and not so much description when it came to the weapons being used. But other then that I thought the story was well written. If there is a sequel I may just pick it up. If you are into zombies and the idea of a zombie apocalypse then this book is perfect for you! ( )
  tina_thebookworm | Feb 12, 2016 |
In a dead new world, boys are trained and sent to the front line at the young age of 16. Most knowing they won't see the end of their first week out of training end. For two young privates Holt and Ambrose-their very first night on the front line nearly took their lives and left them as the only survivors of their squad. A night that changed them both forever. Holt losing a foot and Ambrose becoming diseased. But survive they did and quickly they found themselves moving up in rank as the war progressed. The tales of these two men and all they saw and sacrificed is quite an amazing story.

This night was far from their last night in the battle to save the world from the undead. The story follows these two boys in their front line experience all the way to the man running the undead who ultimately is keeping the war from ending and intending to start a whole new race.

DNW is a great story, be prepared for some blood and gore, but honestly it did not bother me at all and I loved this book! ( )
  Terry_Mitchell | Feb 20, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,623,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible