Invasion of Privacy: Book 1: A Deep Web…

Invasion of Privacy: Book 1: A Deep Web Thriller

by Ian Sutherland

Series: Deep Web (1)

Invasion Of Privacy is snappily written by someone who certainly sounds as if he knows his cyber stuff but has a sharp enough turn of phrase to deliver the technobabble in entertaining and enlightening byte-size chunks. The heroine defies genre stereotyping. She’s a female detective who is smart, competent and charismatic – and doesn’t have to spend nine-tenths of her time fighting institutional bigotry (although she’s inevitably more capable than her inexperienced ranking officer).

Her hacker counterpart, whose challenge to take down a voyeur web unexpectedly entangles him in a homicide investigation, is also likable and credible guy. And they all share great taste in coffee, and reference exactly the right cultural icons. Far from giving up by chapter three, as is so often the case with cyber-crime novels, I found my reading pace picking up as the plot grew more tangled and as the serial killer came closer to choosing his next victim…
(There's more thoughts on the plot and characters over at
http://murdermayhemandmore.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/invasion-of-privacy-the-dark... )

The author keeps the pace trotting along which is an admirable accomplishment given that he’s also explaining some fairly sophisticated web security systems and the concept of ‘human hacking’. So even if you personally know nothing about tech stuff and web bots then that shouldn’t spoil your enjoyment, or your understanding of the plot and the growing danger which surrounds the investigators. There’s also a convincingly chilling villain, and a bunch of other bad guys who bring a real sense of menace to proceedings.

An accomplished thriller; one which leaves an obvious opening for a sequel and I’d be delighted to read that too. Sutherland has a talent for exploring the underbelly of the internet, and I look forward to exploring the dark web through his next story.
8/10 ( )
  RowenaHoseason | Jun 22, 2016 |
I approached this book with a little trepidation. I did read Social Engineer and was impressed with Sutherland's concept but I wasn't sure if he could translate the story into a longer form fictional work. Boy am I pleased. Sutherland writes an excellent mystery with multiple layers of intrigue. His characters are easy to empathize with and I found myself rooting for the protaganist while wondering how Sutherland would pull off the mystery while "Humanizing" Brody. Not only did Sutherland do this well, he set the roots for, what could be, a long standing series of Brody Taylor thrillers.
Being in technology, I tried to think ahead of where the plot was going from the technical aspects but found Sutherland displays his tech chops by keeping me guessing. Even so, he explains the technology in terms that readers not familiar with pentests, social engineering or IP addressing can still follow along.
I thoroughly enjoyed this work and look forward to more books in Brody Taylor series. ( )
  RobynHode | Apr 30, 2016 |
My original Invasion of Privacy audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Brody Taylor is a security consultant and expert hacker who becomes involved in "researching" a webcam based "service" that seems to broadcast live feeds from people's homes and businesses without their knowledge. When Brody realizes that this Internet site may be connected to a girl's death, he inserts himself in the investigation and teams up with Detective Jenny Price who is hunting a serial killer who is raping and murdering young females.

It took me a little bit to get into this story due to the different perspectives at the beginning, but when the action took off, the plot became really engrossing and I was truly captivated. It was a very clever mix of techno-thriller and crime procedural full of mystery and suspense. The author did a great job explaining all the computer hacking related stuff, and while I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on how accurate any of it was, it all made sense to me, so I could follow the plot without any issues, and it provided quite a unique, fascinating story line.

Written from multiple perspectives, including the killer's, this was a thrilling, fast-paced cyber-crime mystery with characters you wanted to get to know more about. Brody especially was great with his unorthodox methods in order to achieve legitimate outcomes. I would certainly like to see him and Detective Price in a sequel.

Matthew Lloyd Davies with his very smooth sounding voice provided an excellent, very natural narration with enough distinction between the characters that you always knew who was speaking. Great accents that were just right for the characters portrayed. I could quite happily listen to him narrate a much longer audiobook. There were no issues with the production.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Jan 6, 2016 |
3.5*

Brody Taylor puts his elite white hat status on the line by accepting a pentest challenge posted on an anonymous, deep-web hacker board. When he finds a link between the site he’s trying to hack and a series of brutal rapes and murders, he teams with PI Jenny Price to stop a sociopath. But Brody must protect his real-life identity or risk dire consequences.

Sutherland’s talent at weaving secondary plots into the main story produces an appealing read, and his deftly rendered protagonist prompts an emotional connection with the reader. However, some of the supporting cast come across as caricatures. McCarthy’s sexism is over the top, Jenny’s rapid disclosure of investigation details to a civilian is tough to swallow and the backstory on minor characters, such as Cortez, stalls the action.

The novel’s structure and balance is sound, but a few unbelievable scenarios, such as a beat-up car parked for a long period in a wealthy neighborhood, deflects from the plot. Sutherland is skilled on the subject matter, which creates an engaging story, but superfluous technical details delays the suspense and there are numerous typos.

An entertaining read with a protagonist worth following. ( )
  LEFraser | Mar 16, 2015 |

A serial killer observes his victims from afar . . .
. . . studying their behaviour so that they can be unwittingly lured to their death.

Elite computer hacker, Brody Taylor, attacks an illegal voyeuristic website . . .
. . . stumbling across a killer’s online hunting ground.

London police detective, DI Jenny Price, investigates a brutal murder . . .
. . . struggling to determine how the killer knew so much about the beautiful young cellist.

As hacker and detective embark on an uncomfortable collaboration, the killer lures his next unsuspecting victim . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Ian Sutherland is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,361,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible