Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille

Wild Fire (2007)

by Nelson DeMille

A bit too macho for my taste. I don't care too much for the lead character -- although he does voice humorous bits now and again. The story line is okay and it's not too difficult to fall into. I doubt I'll pick up another book by this author. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
Another all consuming drama by DeMille and read by Scott Brick. This is another saga in the John Cory series; a New York detective turned FBI, turned anti-terrorist task force turned to whatever he wants to do- cop. Love the NY-tough-guy persona. This time John Cory and his wife Kate Mayfield get involved in investigating the apparent murder of their friend and colleague. Harry went missing after being assigned to watch the house of Blain Maddox, Their investigation takes them to an exclusive club of 14,000 acres, where men, who are powerful and very wealthy meet to discuss "issues" of the day and engage in hunting and fishing activities. Early on in the story, the reader is let in on the secrets of Blain Maddox. Maddox's ego just has to tell people how brilliant he is and lets his victims know what his goals are just before he kills them. Maddox tells Harry what Wild Fire is and Harry, has to let whoever finds him, know the ominous plot. A little predictable since I've read all the John Cory books, but I enjoy it all the same. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Aug 25, 2017 |
This book started me on the John Corey quest. I love this character. He's smart, he's funny, he's gentle and he's dedicated to finding the bad guy - and he doesn't take anything off of anyone including his boss. The books don't necessarily have to be read in order but you get a better idea of the stories progression if you do read them in order. Can't wait for more. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Good story. ~JD ( )
  JDHoliday | Jan 24, 2016 |
Bain Madox is the over the top movie villain. The megalomaniac who has to reveal his entire plan to the enemy.

The classic villain who says "before I kill you, let me tell you my entire plan." Which of course leads to his down fall.

I didn't like John and Kate's relationship. She seemed annoyed with him, not amused or understanding. I felt it would have worked just the same if they were just co-workers. It made no sense that they were married.

This is part of a series, so perhaps the relationship makes more sense if you start from the prior books. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 23, 2016 |
To Bob and Joan Dillingham—

who have such lovely daughters
Friday

NEW YORK CITY

The FBI investigates terrorism-related matters without regard to race, religion, national origin, or gender.

--Terrorism in the United States

FBI Publications, 1997

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044657967X, Hardcover)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nelson DeMille comes a suspenseful new novel featuring Detective John Corey and an all-too-plausible conspiracy to detonate a nuclear bomb in two major American cities. Welcome to the Custer Hill Club--an informal men's club set in a luxurious Adirondack hunting lodge whose members include some of America's most powerful business leaders, military men, and government officials. Ostensibly, the club is a place to gather with old friends, hunt, eat, drink, and talk off-the-record about war, life, death, sex and politics. But one Fall weekend, the Executive Board of the Custer Hill Club gathers to talk about the tragedy of 9/11 and what America must do to retaliate. Their plan is finalized and set into motion. That same weekend, a member of the Federal Anti-Terrorist Task Force is reported missing. His body is soon discovered in the woods near the Custer Hill Club's game reserve. The death appears to be a hunting accident, and that's how the local police first report it, but Detective John Corey has his doubts. As he digs deeper, he begins to unravel a plot involving the Custer Hill Club, a top-secret plan known only by its code name: Wild Fire. Racing against the clock, Detective Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield, find they are the only people in a position to stop the button from being pushed and chaos from being unleashed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

"Detective John Corey of The lion's game, Plum Island, and Night fall returns in a new novel about a conspiracy to detonate nuclear bombs in two American cities, setting off a world war of unimaginable proportions"--Provided by the publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,526,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible