Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille

Wild Fire (original 2007; edition 2006)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:spec1963
Title:Wild Fire
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Warner Books (2006), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 434 pages
Tags:1st ed

Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille (2007)

Good story. ~JD ( )
  JDHoliday | Jan 24, 2016 |
Bain Madox is the over the top movie villain. The megalomaniac who has to reveal his entire plan to the enemy.

The classic villain who says "before I kill you, let me tell you my entire plan." Which of course leads to his down fall.

I didn't like John and Kate's relationship. She seemed annoyed with him, not amused or understanding. I felt it would have worked just the same if they were just co-workers. It made no sense that they were married.

This is part of a series, so perhaps the relationship makes more sense if you start from the prior books. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 23, 2016 |
How have I missed DeMille as an author? Once again, an audio by Scott Brick made this just terrific, especially with an interview with DeMille at the end. Brick admitted that he laughed so much during the taping that they had to do many sections -- John Corey's quick comebacks were fun although DeMille admitted that he usually had to sit there for several minutes to come up with them so they weren't all THAT quick. Great listening!! ( )
  nyiper | Mar 23, 2015 |
With a few exceptions, I don't usually like it when an author uses the same main characters in different books because the author often gets too attached to the characters and nothing bad can be expected to happen to them. That was the case with this book. It was well written, like all of DeMille's books, but there was never any real mystery and it was always obvious what was going to happen next. Plus, the main character sweared up a storm, which was quite annoying, as real people don't talk that way. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
One conclusion I've come to reading Wild Fire, is that John Corey, the hero of these adventures, plays his game like a chess grandmaster. That is, he doesn't eliminate all bad options, but instead chooses what he believes to be right by using every atom of his guile and experience. As for the obligatory villain in this story, the more insane he seemed to Corey, the more impressed I was with him. I started reading this book waiting pointedly and consciously for the first sentence in this book that would make me sit up and take notice.

Soon I was engrossed and had lost my self consciousness. Isn't that what is important for any book aspiring for success? I don't know how he does it, but Nelson Demille can procastinate the intense bits and still retain your attention. Well the exception to that form is the Charm School. But let's focus about the good ones here. Wild Fire is definitely readable and then some.

There are a few moments where clues about crimes on behalf of Bain Madox, and miscalculations about initiatives by Corey occur. Without going into spoilerish details, let's just say that really motivated and careful people don't forget the details in staging a murder of staking a villain's den. I've heard rumors of Nelson Demille losing his mojo in subsequent books. I hope that's not true. Maybe in recent books he is stretching out the jokes in disfavor of the plot. That's not a problem. His way of handling the English language is delicate, rare and praiseworthy. Should we part ways prematurely, I'll think of Demille's greater works. But there's more to come from him. Strange thing though, I imagined three actors from the Good Wife as Ted Nash, Kate Mayfield, and John Corey. Their age don't match, but boy do their personality do. ( )
  Jiraiya | Aug 2, 2014 |
To Bob and Joan Dillingham—

who have such lovely daughters
Friday

NEW YORK CITY

The FBI investigates terrorism-related matters without regard to race, religion, national origin, or gender.

--Terrorism in the United States

FBI Publications, 1997

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044657967X, Hardcover)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nelson DeMille comes a suspenseful new novel featuring Detective John Corey and an all-too-plausible conspiracy to detonate a nuclear bomb in two major American cities. Welcome to the Custer Hill Club--an informal men's club set in a luxurious Adirondack hunting lodge whose members include some of America's most powerful business leaders, military men, and government officials. Ostensibly, the club is a place to gather with old friends, hunt, eat, drink, and talk off-the-record about war, life, death, sex and politics. But one Fall weekend, the Executive Board of the Custer Hill Club gathers to talk about the tragedy of 9/11 and what America must do to retaliate. Their plan is finalized and set into motion. That same weekend, a member of the Federal Anti-Terrorist Task Force is reported missing. His body is soon discovered in the woods near the Custer Hill Club's game reserve. The death appears to be a hunting accident, and that's how the local police first report it, but Detective John Corey has his doubts. As he digs deeper, he begins to unravel a plot involving the Custer Hill Club, a top-secret plan known only by its code name: Wild Fire. Racing against the clock, Detective Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield, find they are the only people in a position to stop the button from being pushed and chaos from being unleashed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

"Detective John Corey of The lion's game, Plum Island, and Night fall returns in a new novel about a conspiracy to detonate nuclear bombs in two American cities, setting off a world war of unimaginable proportions"--Provided by the publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,941,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible