Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille

Wild Fire (original 2007; edition 2006)

by Nelson DeMille

1,696None4,191 (3.74)33
Member:spec1963
Title:Wild Fire
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Warner Books (2006), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 434 pages
Tags:1st ed

Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille (2007)

(6) 2007 (8) action (10) audio (9) audiobook (11) conspiracy (10) crime (13) DeMille (11) detective (6) FBI (19) fiction (155) first edition (9) hardcover (5) John Corey (42) Kate Mayfield (7) library (5) mystery (56) Mystery/Thriller (7) New York (13) novel (13) nuclear terrorism (9) Nuclear War (7) paperback (6) read (24) series (6) suspense (35) terrorism (31) thriller (92) to-read (9) unread (5)

"What two cities need to be sacrificed to rid the world of Islamic terrorism?" That's the chilling question some domestic terrorists (they would never described themselves thusly) as they to to decide where to place several suitcase atomic bombs that have been stolen from the Russians. These high-level military and civilian officers, spurred on by wealthy oil men, have determined that no one else sees the light the way they do and it's time to take matters in their own hands by attacking the US and blaming the Muslims. Only in this way can they obtain the power they need to force changes in government. The idea is to force a nuclear response and bomb the middle east. That it would make all the oil totally unusable -- or at least visible in the dark -- seems not to have crossed their minds. And, of course, they are doing God's will. They literally ask the question, "which city would Jesus want to take out?"

Again, we have wiseass John Corey investigating. Some reviewers have complained that it's too much lecture and not enough action with Corey's wise cracks just hanging out there and not funny enough or pertinent enough to make this a good book. These reviewers seem to like The Lion's Game better. Hmmm, I'm the opposite. I found the unremitting action in the Lion's Game a little over the top.

One reviewers commented, "Anyone who gives this sophmoric clap trap more than two stars is as stupid as the characters in this poorly written tome." Well, I guess I'm sophomoric. Three point five stars and I always round up. On the other hand, many of the negative reviews appeared to object to the premise of the book, i.e., that of a right-wing cabal that would engage in such action. Personally, right-wing or left-wing, true-believers, I believe, are quite capable of such end-justifies-the-means behavior. The book does have a Dr. Stragelove quality, albeit without the Peter Sellers mad scientist. Personally, I drink only Diet Mountain Dew, not wanting to pollute my bodily fuids. (WARNING: This joke may be totally lost on anyone who has not seen the classic movie - you know you're getting old when you feel compelled to explain your jokes.)

One little scene I really liked was when John and Kate were checking in to a very expensive resort, The Point. (Lots of "what's the point? jokes.) Rooms are $1200 per night and Kate, knowing they will face a hassle if they use their government credit card, urges John to use his personal one. "It was stolen," he says. "When?" she asks. "Four years ago," was the reply. "Didn't you call the police to report it?" John replies, "No, the thief was spending much less than my ex-wife." Chortle.

DeMille is always fun, no matter. NOTE: I listened to the unabridged (why would anyone ever even consider abridged?) read by Scott Brick.
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Short and sweet; a good, good book. The second offering from a friend of mine this book follows a NYPD Detective, John Corey, and his FBI-wife Kate, both of who are consigned to the anti-terrorist squad following 9/11. When they return from a semi-romantic weekend away John notices his colleague has not returned from a surveillance task in the US wilderness of am oil mogul and his guests, and being NYPD, and possibly stereotyped, John takes things into his own hands as he heads into the region to locate his whereabouts.

Facing stiff resistance from everyone, including his wife, the FBI, State Troopers and even the CIA John goes rogue and meets the ultimate foe, Bain Madox; an ex-Vietnam vet with a shitload of cash, loyal troops in his employ, and some very powerful friends within the upper echelons of US politics and the Pentagon. COuld he possibly have something to do with Harry’s death when his body is found not far from the perimeter fence of Madox’s “lodge’?

This book is about as well written as I have read, pages turning quicker than the brain could decipher the words as DeMille took me on a roller coaster ride through the dark world of terrorism, politics, and secret policies. So the very real prospect of the Middle East meeting Nuclear Armageddon via ‘Wild Fire’ (which apparently is true!!) did not come across as a far-fetched scenario sprouting forth from a simple missing persons case.

Normally I would divulge further on the plot, and try to avoid any attempt at spoiling the outcome, but quite literally to the last few pages I still wondered what the outcome would be, and at the risk of sounding morbid, the world being saved, or destroyed would both have been a satisfying ending…but you find out.

DeMille, a writer I am not aware of, has pumped out a beaut here, and has plenty others to his credit it would seem, so a visit to the library is very much on the cards from this hard-to-please reader. But, I would not be a critic if I didn’t say something bad, but I can;t tell if it annoyed me, or was enjoyable, but John Corey (earlier refered to as ‘stereotyped’) made too many wisecracks. Funny, very much so, but even I tend to hold back on them at appropriate times – this guy would try to raise a laugh while a shotgun was pointed at his wife’s head. ( )
  scuzzy | Sep 22, 2013 |
Not my cup of tea, although it does address some serious issues. ( )
  RamzArtso | Sep 15, 2013 |
John Corey and his wife Kate have a friend who was murdered when investigating a right wing club in the Adirondecks. They investigate and uncover a nuclear conspiracy to blow up San Francisco and LA. Excellent John Corey ( )
  afarrington | Mar 24, 2013 |
This one rests in my top 10 books of all time. The pacing was perfect, and the plot kept me intrigued the whole time. John Corey is one of my favorite characters in literature. His humor and sometimes mindless banter never cease to catch me off guard and at some moments laugh out loud. Take all of the perverseness of the world, a kick ass police officer-turned retired cop-turned ATTF detective agent, throw in a little talk radio quick wit, and loads of sarcasm and that would be the recipe Nelson Demille cooked up for Mr. Corey! In this novel John finally goes against someone who is able to go toe to toe with him in dialogue. I nearly want to slap Nelson Demille and hug him at the same time. For he not only gives you an incredibly believable story that brings you in and cranks everything up to 11, but he also takes away that false sense of security that everyone has and gives you the realization that somewhere in the world some crazy crap is going down and we could all pretty much die! I'm already waiting for another John Corey Novel and perhaps a movie take on the whole franchise. ( )
  Timothy_Dalton007 | Jun 15, 2011 |
To Bob and Joan Dillingham—

who have such lovely daughters
Friday

NEW YORK CITY

The FBI investigates terrorism-related matters without regard to race, religion, national origin, or gender.

--Terrorism in the United States

FBI Publications, 1997

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044657967X, Hardcover)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nelson DeMille comes a suspenseful new novel featuring Detective John Corey and an all-too-plausible conspiracy to detonate a nuclear bomb in two major American cities. Welcome to the Custer Hill Club--an informal men's club set in a luxurious Adirondack hunting lodge whose members include some of America's most powerful business leaders, military men, and government officials. Ostensibly, the club is a place to gather with old friends, hunt, eat, drink, and talk off-the-record about war, life, death, sex and politics. But one Fall weekend, the Executive Board of the Custer Hill Club gathers to talk about the tragedy of 9/11 and what America must do to retaliate. Their plan is finalized and set into motion. That same weekend, a member of the Federal Anti-Terrorist Task Force is reported missing. His body is soon discovered in the woods near the Custer Hill Club's game reserve. The death appears to be a hunting accident, and that's how the local police first report it, but Detective John Corey has his doubts. As he digs deeper, he begins to unravel a plot involving the Custer Hill Club, a top-secret plan known only by its code name: Wild Fire. Racing against the clock, Detective Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield, find they are the only people in a position to stop the button from being pushed and chaos from being unleashed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

"Detective John Corey of The lion's game, Plum Island, and Night fall returns in a new novel about a conspiracy to detonate nuclear bombs in two American cities, setting off a world war of unimaginable proportions"--Provided by the publisher.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible