Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille

Wild Fire (original 2007; edition 2006)

by Nelson DeMille

Title:Wild Fire
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Warner Books (2006), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 434 pages
Tags:1st ed

Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille (2007)

There is a plan in place in the very most secret parts of the government to handle a specific crisis. This plan is called Wild Fire. It was created to take the decision making away from the presidential office in the event that a weapon of mass destruction was dropped on an American City by a middle eastern country. The plan - to annihilate most of “sand land” with no worry about a president who couldn’t make a critical decision. It is all automated. This plan was created after the tragedy of 9/11.

There is a well-to-do hunting club - Custer Hill Club - which is not what it seems. The Executive Board has a hidden agenda and they guard it very, very well.

On the weekend that the Executive Board is meeting at the Club, a member of the Federal Anti-Terrorist Task Force is found dead not far from the Club. Enter Detective John Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield, fellow members of the Task Force.

John is very much a New York detective with a very wry sense of humor and dry outlook on life. He has very strong views on life - B&B’s suck but not nearly as bad as facing a pissed off wife if he didn’t go when she planned a weekend away. Why on earth celebrate Columbus Day? A “dead man stumbled on a chunk of land on his way somewhere else.” Once he was told he was trying to prove that he was “smarter than the whole FBI”. He replied that “I don’t have to do that. It’s already established.” Mr. Brick does a great job of portraying John Corsey personality.

As the puzzle unwinds it becomes evident that there is an immediate threat of a possible nuclear weapon strike against one or more unknown cities in the United States. John and Kate’s job is to figure out - what cities might be targets - who is the real enemy? The clock is ticking.

This was a good story although Lion’s Game had a lot more action in it. Wild Fire is more of a cerebral effort for John and Kate. They have to work through all the false leads and clues to find out who really is at the heart of the conspiracy and then be in the right place at the right time to prevent disaster. I think it was made more interesting by being in audio book form.
  Diane_K | Jul 14, 2015 |
How have I missed DeMille as an author? Once again, an audio by Scott Brick made this just terrific, especially with an interview with DeMille at the end. Brick admitted that he laughed so much during the taping that they had to do many sections -- John Corey's quick comebacks were fun although DeMille admitted that he usually had to sit there for several minutes to come up with them so they weren't all THAT quick. Great listening!! ( )
  nyiper | Mar 23, 2015 |
With a few exceptions, I don't usually like it when an author uses the same main characters in different books because the author often gets too attached to the characters and nothing bad can be expected to happen to them. That was the case with this book. It was well written, like all of DeMille's books, but there was never any real mystery and it was always obvious what was going to happen next. Plus, the main character sweared up a storm, which was quite annoying, as real people don't talk that way. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
One conclusion I've come to reading Wild Fire, is that John Corey, the hero of these adventures, plays his game like a chess grandmaster. That is, he doesn't eliminate all bad options, but instead chooses what he believes to be right by using every atom of his guile and experience. As for the obligatory villain in this story, the more insane he seemed to Corey, the more impressed I was with him. I started reading this book waiting pointedly and consciously for the first sentence in this book that would make me sit up and take notice.

Soon I was engrossed and had lost my self consciousness. Isn't that what is important for any book aspiring for success? I don't know how he does it, but Nelson Demille can procastinate the intense bits and still retain your attention. Well the exception to that form is the Charm School. But let's focus about the good ones here. Wild Fire is definitely readable and then some.

There are a few moments where clues about crimes on behalf of Bain Madox, and miscalculations about initiatives by Corey occur. Without going into spoilerish details, let's just say that really motivated and careful people don't forget the details in staging a murder of staking a villain's den. I've heard rumors of Nelson Demille losing his mojo in subsequent books. I hope that's not true. Maybe in recent books he is stretching out the jokes in disfavor of the plot. That's not a problem. His way of handling the English language is delicate, rare and praiseworthy. Should we part ways prematurely, I'll think of Demille's greater works. But there's more to come from him. Strange thing though, I imagined three actors from the Good Wife as Ted Nash, Kate Mayfield, and John Corey. Their age don't match, but boy do their personality do. ( )
  Jiraiya | Aug 2, 2014 |
"What two cities need to be sacrificed to rid the world of Islamic terrorism?" That's the chilling question some domestic terrorists (they would never described themselves thusly) as they to to decide where to place several suitcase atomic bombs that have been stolen from the Russians. These high-level military and civilian officers, spurred on by wealthy oil men, have determined that no one else sees the light the way they do and it's time to take matters in their own hands by attacking the US and blaming the Muslims. Only in this way can they obtain the power they need to force changes in government. The idea is to force a nuclear response and bomb the middle east. That it would make all the oil totally unusable -- or at least visible in the dark -- seems not to have crossed their minds. And, of course, they are doing God's will. They literally ask the question, "which city would Jesus want to take out?"

Again, we have wiseass John Corey investigating. Some reviewers have complained that it's too much lecture and not enough action with Corey's wise cracks just hanging out there and not funny enough or pertinent enough to make this a good book. These reviewers seem to like The Lion's Game better. Hmmm, I'm the opposite. I found the unremitting action in the Lion's Game a little over the top.

One reviewers commented, "Anyone who gives this sophmoric clap trap more than two stars is as stupid as the characters in this poorly written tome." Well, I guess I'm sophomoric. Three point five stars and I always round up. On the other hand, many of the negative reviews appeared to object to the premise of the book, i.e., that of a right-wing cabal that would engage in such action. Personally, right-wing or left-wing, true-believers, I believe, are quite capable of such end-justifies-the-means behavior. The book does have a Dr. Stragelove quality, albeit without the Peter Sellers mad scientist. Personally, I drink only Diet Mountain Dew, not wanting to pollute my bodily fuids. (WARNING: This joke may be totally lost on anyone who has not seen the classic movie - you know you're getting old when you feel compelled to explain your jokes.)

One little scene I really liked was when John and Kate were checking in to a very expensive resort, The Point. (Lots of "what's the point? jokes.) Rooms are $1200 per night and Kate, knowing they will face a hassle if they use their government credit card, urges John to use his personal one. "It was stolen," he says. "When?" she asks. "Four years ago," was the reply. "Didn't you call the police to report it?" John replies, "No, the thief was spending much less than my ex-wife." Chortle.

DeMille is always fun, no matter. NOTE: I listened to the unabridged (why would anyone ever even consider abridged?) read by Scott Brick.
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
To Bob and Joan Dillingham—

who have such lovely daughters

The FBI investigates terrorism-related matters without regard to race, religion, national origin, or gender.

--Terrorism in the United States

FBI Publications, 1997

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044657967X, Hardcover)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nelson DeMille comes a suspenseful new novel featuring Detective John Corey and an all-too-plausible conspiracy to detonate a nuclear bomb in two major American cities. Welcome to the Custer Hill Club--an informal men's club set in a luxurious Adirondack hunting lodge whose members include some of America's most powerful business leaders, military men, and government officials. Ostensibly, the club is a place to gather with old friends, hunt, eat, drink, and talk off-the-record about war, life, death, sex and politics. But one Fall weekend, the Executive Board of the Custer Hill Club gathers to talk about the tragedy of 9/11 and what America must do to retaliate. Their plan is finalized and set into motion. That same weekend, a member of the Federal Anti-Terrorist Task Force is reported missing. His body is soon discovered in the woods near the Custer Hill Club's game reserve. The death appears to be a hunting accident, and that's how the local police first report it, but Detective John Corey has his doubts. As he digs deeper, he begins to unravel a plot involving the Custer Hill Club, a top-secret plan known only by its code name: Wild Fire. Racing against the clock, Detective Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield, find they are the only people in a position to stop the button from being pushed and chaos from being unleashed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

"Detective John Corey of The lion's game, Plum Island, and Night fall returns in a new novel about a conspiracy to detonate nuclear bombs in two American cities, setting off a world war of unimaginable proportions"--Provided by the publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,756,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible