Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille

Wild Fire (original 2007; edition 2006)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:spec1963
Title:Wild Fire
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Warner Books (2006), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 434 pages
Tags:1st ed

Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille (2007)

With a few exceptions, I don't usually like it when an author uses the same main characters in different books because the author often gets too attached to the characters and nothing bad can be expected to happen to them. That was the case with this book. It was well written, like all of DeMille's books, but there was never any real mystery and it was always obvious what was going to happen next. Plus, the main character sweared up a storm, which was quite annoying, as real people don't talk that way. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
One conclusion I've come to reading Wild Fire, is that John Corey, the hero of these adventures, plays his game like a chess grandmaster. That is, he doesn't eliminate all bad options, but instead chooses what he believes to be right by using every atom of his guile and experience. As for the obligatory villain in this story, the more insane he seemed to Corey, the more impressed I was with him. I started reading this book waiting pointedly and consciously for the first sentence in this book that would make me sit up and take notice.

Soon I was engrossed and had lost my self consciousness. Isn't that what is important for any book aspiring for success? I don't know how he does it, but Nelson Demille can procastinate the intense bits and still retain your attention. Well the exception to that form is the Charm School. But let's focus about the good ones here. Wild Fire is definitely readable and then some.

There are a few moments where clues about crimes on behalf of Bain Madox, and miscalculations about initiatives by Corey occur. Without going into spoilerish details, let's just say that really motivated and careful people don't forget the details in staging a murder of staking a villain's den. I've heard rumors of Nelson Demille losing his mojo in subsequent books. I hope that's not true. Maybe in recent books he is stretching out the jokes in disfavor of the plot. That's not a problem. His way of handling the English language is delicate, rare and praiseworthy. Should we part ways prematurely, I'll think of Demille's greater works. But there's more to come from him. Strange thing though, I imagined three actors from the Good Wife as Ted Nash, Kate Mayfield, and John Corey. Their age don't match, but boy do their personality do. ( )
  Jiraiya | Aug 2, 2014 |
"What two cities need to be sacrificed to rid the world of Islamic terrorism?" That's the chilling question some domestic terrorists (they would never described themselves thusly) as they to to decide where to place several suitcase atomic bombs that have been stolen from the Russians. These high-level military and civilian officers, spurred on by wealthy oil men, have determined that no one else sees the light the way they do and it's time to take matters in their own hands by attacking the US and blaming the Muslims. Only in this way can they obtain the power they need to force changes in government. The idea is to force a nuclear response and bomb the middle east. That it would make all the oil totally unusable -- or at least visible in the dark -- seems not to have crossed their minds. And, of course, they are doing God's will. They literally ask the question, "which city would Jesus want to take out?"

Again, we have wiseass John Corey investigating. Some reviewers have complained that it's too much lecture and not enough action with Corey's wise cracks just hanging out there and not funny enough or pertinent enough to make this a good book. These reviewers seem to like The Lion's Game better. Hmmm, I'm the opposite. I found the unremitting action in the Lion's Game a little over the top.

One reviewers commented, "Anyone who gives this sophmoric clap trap more than two stars is as stupid as the characters in this poorly written tome." Well, I guess I'm sophomoric. Three point five stars and I always round up. On the other hand, many of the negative reviews appeared to object to the premise of the book, i.e., that of a right-wing cabal that would engage in such action. Personally, right-wing or left-wing, true-believers, I believe, are quite capable of such end-justifies-the-means behavior. The book does have a Dr. Stragelove quality, albeit without the Peter Sellers mad scientist. Personally, I drink only Diet Mountain Dew, not wanting to pollute my bodily fuids. (WARNING: This joke may be totally lost on anyone who has not seen the classic movie - you know you're getting old when you feel compelled to explain your jokes.)

One little scene I really liked was when John and Kate were checking in to a very expensive resort, The Point. (Lots of "what's the point? jokes.) Rooms are $1200 per night and Kate, knowing they will face a hassle if they use their government credit card, urges John to use his personal one. "It was stolen," he says. "When?" she asks. "Four years ago," was the reply. "Didn't you call the police to report it?" John replies, "No, the thief was spending much less than my ex-wife." Chortle.

DeMille is always fun, no matter. NOTE: I listened to the unabridged (why would anyone ever even consider abridged?) read by Scott Brick.
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Short and sweet; a good, good book. The second offering from a friend of mine this book follows a NYPD Detective, John Corey, and his FBI-wife Kate, both of who are consigned to the anti-terrorist squad following 9/11. When they return from a semi-romantic weekend away John notices his colleague has not returned from a surveillance task in the US wilderness of am oil mogul and his guests, and being NYPD, and possibly stereotyped, John takes things into his own hands as he heads into the region to locate his whereabouts.

Facing stiff resistance from everyone, including his wife, the FBI, State Troopers and even the CIA John goes rogue and meets the ultimate foe, Bain Madox; an ex-Vietnam vet with a shitload of cash, loyal troops in his employ, and some very powerful friends within the upper echelons of US politics and the Pentagon. COuld he possibly have something to do with Harry’s death when his body is found not far from the perimeter fence of Madox’s “lodge’?

This book is about as well written as I have read, pages turning quicker than the brain could decipher the words as DeMille took me on a roller coaster ride through the dark world of terrorism, politics, and secret policies. So the very real prospect of the Middle East meeting Nuclear Armageddon via ‘Wild Fire’ (which apparently is true!!) did not come across as a far-fetched scenario sprouting forth from a simple missing persons case.

Normally I would divulge further on the plot, and try to avoid any attempt at spoiling the outcome, but quite literally to the last few pages I still wondered what the outcome would be, and at the risk of sounding morbid, the world being saved, or destroyed would both have been a satisfying ending…but you find out.

DeMille, a writer I am not aware of, has pumped out a beaut here, and has plenty others to his credit it would seem, so a visit to the library is very much on the cards from this hard-to-please reader. But, I would not be a critic if I didn’t say something bad, but I can;t tell if it annoyed me, or was enjoyable, but John Corey (earlier refered to as ‘stereotyped’) made too many wisecracks. Funny, very much so, but even I tend to hold back on them at appropriate times – this guy would try to raise a laugh while a shotgun was pointed at his wife’s head. ( )
  scuzzy | Sep 22, 2013 |
Not my cup of tea, although it does address some serious issues. ( )
  RamzArtso | Sep 15, 2013 |
To Bob and Joan Dillingham—

who have such lovely daughters
Friday

NEW YORK CITY

The FBI investigates terrorism-related matters without regard to race, religion, national origin, or gender.

--Terrorism in the United States

FBI Publications, 1997

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044657967X, Hardcover)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nelson DeMille comes a suspenseful new novel featuring Detective John Corey and an all-too-plausible conspiracy to detonate a nuclear bomb in two major American cities. Welcome to the Custer Hill Club--an informal men's club set in a luxurious Adirondack hunting lodge whose members include some of America's most powerful business leaders, military men, and government officials. Ostensibly, the club is a place to gather with old friends, hunt, eat, drink, and talk off-the-record about war, life, death, sex and politics. But one Fall weekend, the Executive Board of the Custer Hill Club gathers to talk about the tragedy of 9/11 and what America must do to retaliate. Their plan is finalized and set into motion. That same weekend, a member of the Federal Anti-Terrorist Task Force is reported missing. His body is soon discovered in the woods near the Custer Hill Club's game reserve. The death appears to be a hunting accident, and that's how the local police first report it, but Detective John Corey has his doubts. As he digs deeper, he begins to unravel a plot involving the Custer Hill Club, a top-secret plan known only by its code name: Wild Fire. Racing against the clock, Detective Corey and his wife, FBI agent Kate Mayfield, find they are the only people in a position to stop the button from being pushed and chaos from being unleashed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

"Detective John Corey of The lion's game, Plum Island, and Night fall returns in a new novel about a conspiracy to detonate nuclear bombs in two American cities, setting off a world war of unimaginable proportions"--Provided by the publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,396,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible