The Glorkian Warrior Eats Adventure Pie by…

The Glorkian Warrior Eats Adventure Pie

by James Kochalka

Review not final until hard copy is reviewed

When trouble is near and there is stuff to fear, who will we turn to, but the Glorkian Warrior and his might backpack of justice! The heroes of the Galaxyyyy! But what’s this? Buster Glark, the most villanious rival in the corps has come to steal your glory and brains and make fun of you? Oh my, what will you do now? Will you and your backpack seek justice for all? Or will an alien attempt to suck out your brains? Or both?? Oh my!

If you haven't heard of James Kochalka before, you really are missing out. His previous books have all been published by TopShelf and during that time period he's won an Eisner award, multiple Ignatz awards, and is Vermont's first ever Cartoonist Laureate. And while he hasn't always been my favorite writer/artist (he does get a bit goofy) he really, really does understand the sense of humor that a young kid has. His Dragon Puncher books from Top Shelf, are whimsical and funny and incorporate pictures of himself, his children, and his cats into them. And the Glorkian Warrior is of the same mold.

Bright, cheerful, colorful, and a laugh a page at the quest that the Warrior takes and the weird adventures he has. I mean seriously how can you not laugh at a yellow and pink space caterpillar? The answer: you can’t. And if you don’t please make sure you don’t infect anyone else with your zombie adult virus. The colors are bright and cheerful, and the characters are entertaining to watch as they float about on the page in space dealing with caterpillars and brain sucking aliens (which I think must have gotten loose from the pages of this book...or maybe caught? Hopefully caught.)

While James's writing style never takes itself too seriously, there is an excellent and well paced story in the books. In this one it feels like we're watching a master improv player at work as he takes suggestions from the audience on what the Glorkian Warrior should do next. It just makes for an interesting and enjoyable read.

While this is not going to be a book for everyone, especially if you don't like a goofy, weird sense of humor, it is one that I think a number of other folks will enjoy. I give the book 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it for young readers and young at heart readers alike.

ARC provided by NetGalley ( )
  zzshupinga | Feb 9, 2015 |
DNF - I just can't seem to get into the Glorkian Warrior. Kochalka's art is absolutely magnificent, hilarious and appealing. I love looking at it but the story in this and the first book in the series were just too dumb for me to be able to finish the books so I cheated and read the ending. I'm a huge fan of Captain Underpants but this just goes below that level of silliness into stupidity. Now that I've said that, I do think however, that it will appeal to a fair number of kids up to about Grade 3. It's also easy to read with large text that will make it a good beginning reader for the same age group. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 1, 2014 |

The second adventure of this inept space hero and his talking backback on patrol.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible