Saga - Deluxe Edition, Book One by Brian K.…

Saga - Deluxe Edition, Book One

by Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples (Illustrator)

Series: Saga (1-18)

This reminds me of Steven Universe a lot, but maybe that's because I only know so many examples of media about animated space wars. It was much better than I expected, as a person who doesn't really do very 'comicy' comic books. I loved the old horror comics, and there are other things I like now - Neil Gaiman comics, the Fable comics that The Wolf Among Us are based off of, and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of right now. Normally, the cartoon quality, for lack of a better turn of phrase, separates me from an emotional reaction to the work, but I found with this work that this was not the case. ( )
  AnnieHidalgo | Sep 13, 2017 |
Such a great read! And so many geeky nuggets. Book nerds, lightsabers (okay glowing thousand year old sword), Treeships! Star crossed lovers! Planet sized, ship devouring space babies! Bounty hunters (Freelancers)! Lighthouse! 'Pet' sidekicks! Ok. Am so getting the next volume. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
I've heard Saga compared to an adult version of Star Wars, and it really is in a way that few space operas are. Like, you could call Battlestar Galactica or The Expanse "adult" versions of Star Wars, but they're not really-- they're too "grounded." Star Wars isn't really science fiction (in some senses of sf, anyway), it's space fantasy: it's got ghosts and magic and bizarre, implausible aliens. Saga has these in spades: its aliens are humans with animal parts, or maybe even just animals, and its robots look like humans with tvs for heads, and one of the main characters is a ghost, and there's a cat who says "LYING" whenever it hears someone lie. But it's adult: there's swearing and viscera and sex and all the gory details of pregnancy and prostitution.

Yet it's not the immature kind of "adult": the sex and violence and so one give the story weight and heft, and elevate it into something fully itself. Saga may remind you of Star Wars or Romeo and Juliet or Battlestar Galactica in some ways, but it's not trying to be any of them. Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples have created something really unique, with star-crossed romance (the main characters are from the opposite sides of a deadly war), pathos (there's a bit with Lying Cat that was just heart-wrenching), and the right amount of kookiness (the main characters bond over a cheap paperback romance novel that turns out to have a deeper meaning).

Despite the darkness of it, it's beautiful: Fiona Staples I don't think had done much before Saga, but as in Y: The Last Man, Brian Vaughan has found the perfect artistic collaborator for the story he's telling. Horrifying creatures, human emotion, forbidding vistas, beautiful emptiness, all are rendered perfectly by Staples. A lot of depth comes from the narration, which hits the balance between corniness and insight, and is hand-written by Staples herself, the perfect finishing touch. Everything about the book is beautifully done, down to the page and font design by Fonografiks. (The deluxe hardcover has a very in-depth making-of feature, which I really enjoyed. Both Vaughan and Staples have fascinating processes.)

The sprawling story (seriously, there's not just our main characters, and their daughter, but also the parents of one of them, and a ghost, and the bounty hunter chasing them and his companions, and a robot prince, and a pair of investigative journalists, and probably others I'm forgetting) moves in genuinely inventive and surprising ways across in first eighteen issues, and I finished it eager to see where it would go next.
  Stevil2001 | May 19, 2017 |
This graphic novel is a work of art, literally. The artistry and creativity in it's vision is epic. I was blown away by the design of it all.
I enjoyed the overall story as well, though for me, having the daughter narrate it ended up taking away from it for me. It pulled some of the suspense away from the story. Every time she was in danger or her parents were in danger, I didn't feel that rush or suspense I should have because I knew she would survive, simply because she is narrating the story from the future. So for me, that really took away.
However, everything else really fell into place for me. The artistry, the story, the characterization, the pace, the writing. It all worked really well together.
And how sexy is Marko!? Am I right? ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Apr 8, 2017 |
Visceral, fantastic, visually arresting, this is one space opera of a comic book that undeniably deserves the praise bestowed upon it by critics. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Saga is the story of Hazel, a child born to star-crossed parents from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war. Now, Hazel's fugitive family must risk everything to find a peaceful future in a harsh universe that values destruction over creation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible