Look and Live: Behold the Soul-Thrilling,…

Look and Live: Behold the Soul-Thrilling, Sin-Destroying Glory of Christ

by Papa Matt

Well written - accessible - and mostly just a great reflection on sanctification via beholding the Glory of Christ. ( )
  KenMcLain | Jul 18, 2017 |
I highly recommend this book. Easily the best non-fiction book I've read all year. Very life-changing. Matt's style is unpretentious, at times witty, but always profound. Can't wait for his next book to come out! (He's not a bad singer, either!) ( )
  hughpoland | Dec 17, 2014 |
Behold the Soul-thrilling, Sin-destroying Glory of Christ.

Look and Live is all about the why and the how to of beholding the glory of God.

I liked the flavor or tone of this book immediately and even more so, the “call” on page 15.

“The call is this: Make your life one unflinching gaze upon the glory of Christ.”

I wondered if this book would slake my thirst for God or if it would increase my thirst for Him. At one point I was wondering if the author was ever going to get around to giving us the how-to, but he did and it was satisfying and not quenching.

The why we need to look was more than adequate, inspiring at times and too wordy at other times. And even though there were places where I thought it was too wordy I also thought, some people will need this. After all if this book were distilled down into a bullet point list it would lose all it’s power and charm. So yes, we need the repetition and wordiness.

I found this author to be open, honest, transparent and real. He was honest about how long it took him to get to this point of valuing the glory of God—it was three years. He was honest about the fact that it wasn’t easy and very tough at times to be persistent and diligent in his beholding.

Overall this book felt full of life and is definitely a keeper. I found it to be more than a mere reminder, but a call, or even a challenge.

Some noteworthy quotes:

“The call is to behold the Son of God, not merely look at Him. It is to gaze deep into the gospel, not merely pray some prayer and then move on.” (page 119)”

“The greatest motivation for obedience is a clearer sight of God.” (page 131)

“The greatest injustice in the universe is that there are human beings who do not worship Jesus Christ .” (page 185)

“The primary purpose of the Bible is to reveal Jesus.” (page 229)

If you feel worn out from striving or feel stuck in sin or you simply already feel thirsty for more of Him, give this book a look!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers as part of their blogging for books program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  cherylcope | Dec 2, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have this on again off again feeling about this book. I love how he states that only one addiction can replace another addiction. But I could have benefited from more practical applications. But I did benefit form his sources and am now walking some of the same trails that he walked to learn from those sources. I also appreciate his take on beholding Christ's glory. It is so hard to see it today with having to work around and look through all of the media and the distractions. We have become so spastic and inattentive that we have a diminished capacity to find and see true glory. I am sorry did that last part make sense, I was checking my email.... ( )
  Davidltucker | Nov 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was an easy read about how to live by focusing on God's glory. While I found the book easy to read I felt that it lack some finesse in the writing style. Quite a shame really as I felt the topic was good but presented marginally.
  cheetosrapper | Nov 19, 2014 |

"Worship leader and speaker shows that people's lives follow what their hearts focus on--whether the glory of God or themselves and their desires"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Papa Matt's book Look and Live: Behold the Soul-Thrilling, Sin-Destroying Glory of Christ was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,234,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible