Men: Notes from an Ongoing Investigation by…

Men: Notes from an Ongoing Investigation

by Laura Kipnis

I put this book on my to-read list some time ago because I was intrigued by the idea of Ms. Kipnis, one or two of whose occasional pieces I had read and enjoyed, observing the ways of males. I was not disappointed. She is perceptive, witty and frank. I had fun reading her critical take on the interactions between men and women. ( )
  nmele | Jul 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Laura Kipnis' book "Men: Notes From An Ongoing Investigation" is not for the chauvinist, the prude, the romantic, or the faint of heart. It is also not for people who blindly adore men without regard for reality. Neither is it for the even-handed, because it definitely does not look at men with an even hand. It is completely one-sided, examining men only from the angle of "Operators, Neurotics, Sex Fiends, Haters", as the sections read. The language is vulgar, although the writing is solid. If you're on a binge of loathing men, you'll enjoy this book. Twice divorced, I did not find it enlightening. Two stars. I received this book as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. ( )
  kschloss | Mar 13, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Perhaps it's my age, but I found this book to be redundant and somewhat boring. Not really an "investigation" per se, but more of a "guide" to the inner workings of men. Any woman my age-or even younger should already know about men. So all in all, I only gave this book 2 stars. ( )
  KWoman | Jan 19, 2015 |
This is a series of essays based on different negative traits that Ms. Kipnis has found in various men over the years. For instance, Larry Flynt is her example of the "scumbag" although she does give credit in some areas like his fight against censorship and I feel that she grudgingly liked him in their personal meetings. Other chapters include the conman, the groper and the self deceiver. etc. She is very specific in the men she names as examples of the negative character traits. The book is pretty interesting in a voyeuristic sort of way. ( )
  muddyboy | Dec 8, 2014 |
the book is pretty good but seems a tad bit more like a research filled with small stories.I PREFER SOMETHING MORE LIKE A DIARY .Needs a little bit more humor and needs to Interest the reader.
added by Nabeeha | editme

It's no secret that men often behave in confusing ways, but in recent years we've witnessed so many spectacular public displays of male excess-disgraced politicians, erotically desperate professors, fallen sports icons-that we're left to wonder whether something has come unwired in the collective male psyche.

In the essays collected here, Laura Kipnis draws out the angst and emotional contradictions implicit in what look like exercises of male privilege, revisiting the archetypes of wayward masculinity that have captured her imagination over the years, and scrutinizing men who have figured in her own life, alongside more controversial public examples. Slicing through the usual clichés about the differences between the sexes, Kipnis mixes intellectual rigor and wit to give us a compelling survey of the affinities, jealousies, longings, and erotics that structure the male-female bond. [retrieved 08/16/2016]

"It's no secret that men often behave in mystifying ways, but in recent years we've witnessed so many spectacular public displays of male excess--indecent politicians, sleazy academics, philandering sports stars--that we're left to wonder whether something has come unwired in the collective male psyche. In the essays collected here, Kipnis revisits the archetypes of wayward masculinity that have captured her imagination over the years: the scumbag, the con man, the critic, the obsessive, cheaters, and many others. Examining men who have figured in her own life alongside the more notorious public examples, she draws out the masculine angst and sexual contradictions implicit in the erratic conduct of each. Far from the reactions of condescension and scorn that habitually greet such characters, Kipnis finds that they provoke in her complicated forms of sympathy and identification. Pushing past the usual cliche about differences between the sexes, Kipnis mixes intellectual rigor and careful analysis to give us an honest and compelling survey of the affinities, jealousies, longings, and erotics that structure the male-female bond"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laura Kipnis's book Men: Notes from an Ongoing Investigation was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,157,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible