Down Size: 12 Truths for Turning…

Down Size: 12 Truths for Turning Pants-Splitting Frustration into…

by Ted Spiker

Other authors: Mehmet C. Oz (Foreword)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, for one thing, the title is interesting! Luckily, so is the book. This book was written by Ted Spiker. Ted, like many people, has a weight problem. Ted, unlike many people, has no problems making fun of his weight. This book was a refreshing take on body image and weight management. Along with Ted's story, he gives some good advice along the way.

This book would be great for anyone who has issues with weight. It will make you feel not so alone and may even given you some hope. It is also good for everyone else who just likes a good story.

***I received this book through LibraryThing's Member Giveaway. The opinion is solely my own.*** ( )
  HeatherMS | Apr 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I finished reading this book by Ted Spiker and realized that I'd completed it without once having set it down to pick up a fiction novel. That is how good it is. In this book, Spiker does not merely share his own struggles with weight; he shares truth's about body image and successful weight management. This is the first weight loss book I've ever read that had me laughing and crying and wanting to work harder than ever before. And, the best recommendation I can give this book is that when I was done reading it, I felt like I'd just completed an inspiring work of fiction rather than the advice book it is.

I highly recommend it! ( )
  enoch_elijah | Mar 1, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Down Size by Ted Spiker tackles the difficult process of weight loss in a humorous but helpful way. He himself has struggled with being overweight, trying various ways of eating, running marathons, and coming to the acceptance of his body type and how to cope with weight. He offers several sensible and down-to-earth ways to not just change one's diet, but how to think differently about self and the best ways to accomplish a healthier lifestyle. Many books have been on the shelves about how to be thin, but this one was enjoyable to read and offers workable ways to be not perfect, but to be better. Refreshing! ( )
  gerconk | Nov 29, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really wanted to like this book. I struggle with weight and I struggle with exercise. But I couldn't tell if the author wanted it to be a memoir, a self help book, or a weight loss how-to. It was entertaining at times and I related to the story, but it felt disjointed. When I finished I didn't feel like I had learned anything new. I think he should have stuck to the humorous story of his healthy lifestyle adventures. ( )
  andrea58 | Nov 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ted Spiker, A regular guy who took the time to document his journey from obesity to fitness. This is not another "here we go again" diet book, but rather a book designed to motivate, inspire and lead people with weight problems (or fitness problems) to the path of health and happiness. I found that the author's self deprecating narrative could be at time a bit off-putting, but when contrasted with his description of the high points of his successes, the narrative became personal, believable and meaningful. His social commentaries on food, lifestyle and behaviors are germane, fit the current narrative of the times we live in, and give us all pause to stop or at least question current behaviors, whether we need to loose 20 pounds or 200 or are just complacent where we are. This book could be applied to many of our life endeavors, not just weight loss. Is Ted Spiker the next motivational guru for the 21st century? ( )
  difreda | Oct 19, 2014 |

Spiker, TedAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oz, Mehmet C.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Ted Spiker may be the coauthor of numerous bestselling diet and health books, but the man just can't resist a good burrito. Or a bad burrito. (He's also eaten a 76-ounce steak, asserted that his wife's post-pregnancy jeans were the best-fitting pants heever wore, and was asked by his own childhood doctor if his "feminine shape" embarrassed him at the beach.) In Down Size, Ted takes readers on an inspiring, candid, and comical journey, exploring the art and science of weight loss through his own struggles as a pear-shaped man in a not-so-pear-shaped world, with research about food, exercise, and the psychology of losing weight. He reveals twelve truths about successful weight loss, in areas such as temptation, frustration, nutrition, and inspiration. Some truths: - Redefine the Definition of Data - Leave Behind Your Extra Gland - Think Process, Not Outcome - Train Shorter, Train Harder. Combining science, personal stories, expert interviews, and advice, Down Size is an entertaining, field-tested, and research-based look at how men and women can finally find the body they want"-- "In Down Size, Ted Spiker takes readers on an inspiring, candid, and comical journey, exploring the art and science of weight loss through his own struggles as a pear-shaped man in a not-so-pear-shaped world, with research about food, exercise, and the psychology of losing weight"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ted Spiker(Editor)'s book Down Size was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,448,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible