The Widower's Guide to a New Life by Joanna…

The Widower's Guide to a New Life

by Joanna Romer

851,035,133 (3.5)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is short, and alternates between interviews/vignettes of widowers and the author's own advice. She'd previously written a similar book for widows, and I can see how this wouldn't be a stretch, though perhaps it would've been different coming from a male point-of-view. I asked to review this because my father was recently widowed, and it wasn't something I felt I could give to him. It was either too condescending or too general in most parts, or too individualized in others. And I'm not sure whether it was bad editing, but one of the first situations sounds like a man got through grief by hooking up with his step-daughter??
  wademlee | Jun 3, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
How do you beghind a life again? That is the question that "The Widower's Guide to a New Life" answers. Here are step by step ideas on what and how to go on living. While this is specifically for men who have lost a wife to death, this book would help anyone dealing with death or the loss of relationship.
  FCClibraryoshkosh | Sep 30, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don' need this information at the present time (and wish I never would), but the information presented in this book appears to be quite useful and covers a variety of situations. She uses first hand accounts from several widowers and covers subjects that are sure to come up... learning to grieve, loneliness, socializing, dating, falling in love again, etc. ( )
  winger94se | Sep 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A short book and quick read; 40 chapters in 150 pages - it reads like a series of blogposts on grief recovery. The book itself seemed a little too self-evident to me, but then I'm not a widower in the midst of a grieving experience so perhaps I'm judging it harshly when it really could be a very valuable tool for someone in that position. The one thing that I did find condescending and really annoying was author Romer's occasional references to the reader as "dear widower". The book is arranged around four parts: grieving, consoling yourself, starting over, and your new life but the chapters within each of the parts seemed randomly placed. Perhaps the best part of the book are the portions where actual widowers share their experiences with various aspects of their journeys. If you are a widower it can't hurt to read the book - perhaps it will offer you some new insights to your experience. ( )
  SherylHendrix | Sep 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a book I would give as a gift to any man who has lost his spouse. It's quick-reading, but filled with lots of good advice about ways to work through the grieving process and many ways to overcome the loneliness and disconnection that naturally comes with such a great life-changing experience. Everything from visiting familiar places, taking up hobbies, travel, prayer and eventually possibly dating and remarriage are recommended as ways to cope. Recounting the experiences and feelings of men the author has interviewed also makes the advice practical and hopeful.
  HouseofPrayer | Sep 8, 2014 |

"Shares the personal stories of 10 bereaved men as they cope with the trauma of losing their spouse. Whether your loss is recent or you've been without your wife for several years, this book will help you handle some of the most common challenges facing widowers, including: how to console yourself through friends, work and prayer; how to start over in terms of new activities, dating and a social life; and how to know when and if another love relationship is right for you"--Page [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joanna Romer's book The Widower's Guide to a New Life was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,647,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible