Hope Springs by Eric Walters

Hope Springs

by Eric Walters

I enjoyed this book of a true story for several reasons. First, it teaches the great lesson of being kind to others, even if they have not been kind to you and/or “treat others how you would want to be treated.” For example, the main character Boniface lives in an orphan village in Kenya that is recently struck with a drought. When he goes to get water in the long line at the spring where all the local people get their water, he and the other orphans are pushed to the back of line, unwelcomed there. His orphan parent assures him that they were unkind because they were scared they would not be able to give water to their families. With hard work, dedication, and determination, Boniface helps the orphanage get its very own well. Out of kindness he says, “They are so desperate for water that it is hard to be kind…we are not desperate…so perhaps we can be kind. I know when you give water, you give life.” He tells the others about the new well so they are no longer scared for their and their families’ lives. Another reason I liked this book was because it shows how much and how hard some people have to work simply for water. It is a reminder to appreciate the access we have to water and be grateful that we can access it at the push of a button or turn of a knob. The illustrations were wonderful and even included real pictures of the actual Boniface and his village at the end. All in all, it was an enjoyable book many children can benefit from. ( )
  ChristySchultz | Apr 3, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book simply because it follows the story of a young boy named Boniface, who readers can connect to by the way he tells his experiences. He is an African American boy who lives in an orphanage in Kenya where he helps the orphanage get its very own well so that the water shortage came to a stop. Boniface's background and struggles is based on a true story relating to the process of building a well from scratch. He is familiar with the feeling of fear and uncertainty of the unknown, however, he continuously remains hard working. When relating to the others living in the orphanage, Boniface proclaims, "They are so desperate for water that is hard to be kind." Later following that idea, the orphans respond by saying, "We are not desperate...so perhaps we can be kind. I know that when you give water, you give life." They quickly realize that Boniface's positive attitude and good deed is beneficial, which results in them appreciating his dedication. On another hand, the illustrations are detailed, which gives readers visual representations of Boniface's long process of building a well. Overall, readers are able to recognize the generosity and determination of Boniface throughout the story. ( )
  mbauer9 | Sep 26, 2016 |
A poignant, dignified story of kindness, compassion and generosity. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As an elementary school teacher, I was overjoyed to receive this book through the Early Reviewers program. Boniface's story provides important insight into the struggle for basic necessities faced by people in Kenya. My students previously were not aware that running water might be considered a luxury. Reading this book opened their eyes to the ways other people live and fostered a sense of thankfulness for something many of us take for granted every day. ( )
  jphelan | Oct 29, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Hope Springs, by Eric Walters is a sweet and gentle book. I shared this book with neighborhood children between the ages of 8 and 12 - they all loved the illustrations and what seemed to be the theme of the story: even if you are judged poorly, look back and see why they are unhappy and do what you can to help them; make the world a better place. This book also brought up dialogue between me and the children about situations in Africa (as well as other places in the world) with the problem of obtaining enough clean water to be healthy. I highly recommend this book for younger children. ( )
  PallanDavid | Oct 15, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Eric Walters's book Hope Springs was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,083,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible