Down and Dead in Even: (A Quick-Read) (Down…

Down and Dead in Even: (A Quick-Read) (Down and Dead, Inc. Book 2)

by Vicki Hinze

222,551,640 (4)None
Recently added bykulmona, lcjohnson1988

No tags.

I received this book as a gift from the author(via The Books Machine) in exchange for an honest review.

Caroline is married to Martin, a controlling, manipulative brute who physically and mentally abuses her. Martin uses the classic tactics of abusers. He isolates her from family and friends, systematically erodes her self esteem, and denies access to a phone, transportation, and money. To add insult to injury, he has power, influence, and ample financial resources.

As is the case with many victims, she is reluctant to leave. She fears the consequences of getting caught again more than anything and chooses to endure her hellish home life. Her sister, Christine, comes up with an escape plan and Caroline just has to summon the confidence and courage to follow through.

The book opens with Caroline, battered and bruised, after yet another beating. The descriptions bring the scene to life. The characters are introduced as the plot unfolds. The dialogue is realistic, the pacing is fast, and the end is satisfying and conclusive.

Overall, I enjoyed this novelette and would read others in the series. ( )
  kulmona | Feb 23, 2015 |
Title: Down & Dead in Even (Down & Dead, Inc. Book #2)
Author: Vicki Hinze
Pages: 52 (electronic)
Year: 2014
Publisher: Magnolia Leaf Press
I became hooked on this author’s series when the first novel came out titled, Down and Dead in Dixie, which I found to be completely enthralling! As I checked the author’s website, I saw this short story was coming out soon. When it became available, I purchased it. I am not a fan of electronic reading for a couple reasons: (1) My eyes aren’t able to read for long on any device; (2) I think it unwise to be dependent on a device, and (3) I love the feel of a book in my hands that is always available to read.
In this very short story, readers are introduced to a set of twins who have very different lives and personalities. Christine is a strong independent woman, successful and single; she is able to face any situation straight up, speaking whatever is on her mind. Caroline is trapped in an abusive marriage; she has tried unsuccessfully many times to leave her husband only to be brought back and made to pay for leaving. Finally, Caroline has had enough and with Christine’s help she begins her journey to freedom, safety and healing.
For me, the first novel had so much more tension and adventure whereas this one had a modicum of it. I think it could have become a much more developed book. However, I did enjoy Vicki’s tale and the tie-in she makes with the first novel in the series with a few characters from Down and Dead in Dixie. Readers will appreciate perhaps that it is a fast story and I guarantee you will be left anticipating the next installment in the Down and Dead Series.
My rating is 4 stars.
Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/Down-Dead-Even-Quick-Read-Inc-ebook/dp/B00KY9PI8Q/ref=sr_1...
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Aug 4, 2014 |

Vicki Hinze is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Vicki Hinze chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 1, 2010 to Mar 14, 2010. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,106,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible