dismiss

War Stories: New Military Science Fiction

by Jaym Gates (Editor), Andrew Liptak (Editor)

Other authors: Mike Barretta (Contributor), Susan Jane Bigelow (Contributor), Maurice Broaddus (Contributor), Keith Brooke (Contributor), James L. Cambias (Contributor)19 more, F. Brett Cox (Contributor), Richard Dansky (Contributor), Nerine Dorman (Contributor), Gregory Drobny (Foreword), Thoraiya Dyer (Contributor), Joe Haldeman (Contributor), Mark Jacobsen (Contributor), Jake Kerr (Contributor), Rich Larson (Contributor), Yoon Ha Lee (Contributor), Ken Liu (Contributor), Karin Lowachee (Contributor), T.C. McCarthy (Contributor), Linda Nagata (Contributor), Carlos Orsi (Contributor), Jay Posey (Contributor), Mike Sizemore (Contributor), Janine Spendlove (Contributor), James Sutter (Contributor)

In War Stories: New Military Science Fiction, editors Andrew Liptak and Jaym Gates collects short stories by science fiction and fantasy authors dealing with the effects of war prior, during, and after battle to soldiers and their families.
    Edge of Tomorrow by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des militaires enfoncés dans une sale situation bizarrement compliquée, avec des équipements lourds, dans un futur proche. Même rythme soutenu, sarcasme désabusé, et exposition de tripes en plein air.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des instantanés de guerre, avec des super soldats humains et des technologies déshumanisantes… ou est-ce l’inverse ? Bonus : des extra-terrestres.

English (23)  French (1)  All languages (24)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to like this collection more than I did. I finished it with the feeling that if this was the best that science fiction can do with the concept of war, it was perhaps best left alone. The stories range from near future stories of drone warfare to more fanciful tales of cyborgs and such, some set during conflict, and some dealing with its aftereffects, but I found little here that grabbed my attention. Ken Liu's "In the Loop" was an interesting take on the automation of warfare (if a trifle conservative). I did like the monitoring wasps of Mark Jacobsen's "The Wasp Keepers," a plausible enough take on how Middle Eastern "peace-keeping" might go someday. The most best story in the book was Karin Lowachee's "Enemy State," about the lover of a combat-augmented cyborg dealing with posttraumatic stress. Like, say, Cordwainer's Smith "Scanners Live in Vain," it uses bodily alteration partially as a stand-in for the mental alteration war inflicts on those who fight it, and I found it moving in parts.

Too many of the stories strained my credulity, with military technology I had a hard time believing in. I guess this is a difficulty in general of military sf, as contemporary warfare moves increasingly toward drones-- how do we maintain the human element necessary for storytelling? Many stories accomplish this by having the combat drones used human bodies and/or human minds in some integral way, but I often found this hard to buy. The AI in Susan Jane Bigelow's "The Radio," for example, had implausibly few instructions on what to do if separated from her unit.

"Invincible" by Jay Posey had the typical armored suits that go back to Starship Troopers, I guess, which felt a little trite. A few stories used these, so many that the book actually has a section devoted to them, but they began to blend together after a while. Some authors gamely tried to come up with new spins on them, like Carlos Orsi's "In Loco," but I found that story somewhat contrived, to be honest.
  Stevil2001 | May 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
War Stories, by various authors is a compilation of war stories (no surprise there), mostly science fiction, and all focusing on the characters more so than the battles. I admit to being unsure about this novel, but after ignoring it for far too long, I finally dove in and was immediately surprised by the character depth and realism these writers display.

You will run the gambit of emotions with this one, and after finishing one short story, you want to immediately tear into the next one as there are no dogs here. Each author, in their own unique way, kidnaps your attention.
This is an easy five star in my mind – something I never do lightly. Just buy the book. You won’t regret it. ( )
  Sturgeon | Aug 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A few of the stories in War Stories degenerate into gung ho, John Ringo jingoism. Fortunately, most authors haven't stooped to this hyperbole. Some offer thoughtful critiques of the interstices between the military-industrial complex and colonialism. Others provide examinations of the interior toll war takes on its participants.

These and other questions are explored in a collection that mostly is successful in representing various facets of war. A little more variety—especially in the tech represented—would strengthen the anthology, as would a more honest acknowledgment of the stories’ obvious and necessary subjectivity. ( )
  LibraryPerilous | Jun 9, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Let me state up front that I received an eBook edition of this book as an early reviewer's giveaway through LibraryThing.

It has long been my contention that writing a "good" short story is harder than writing a "good" book. In a short story you cannot "waste" pages supplying a back story, explaining the motives of the major characters, or, in science fiction and fantasy stories, describing the universe.

As a result, many anthologies are rather a hit and miss affair. And so is this collection, but thankfully not only are there more hits than misses, but the number of stories contained in it (23) means that once you have finished all the stories the misses tend to be swept under the carpet by better stories.

The stories are divided into four grouped themes: Wartime Systems, Combat, Armoured Force, and Aftermath. Traditionally my tastes in science fiction would generally have followed this order if I had to state my preferences for sub-themes.

It was therefore somewhat surprising and to discover the first story in the Aftermath section, "War Dog". This story is simply amazing, with the reader discovering on every page a change in direction and theme, until the final, sorrowful yet strangely beautiful, ending. It is a story that should be approached with an open mind, and no preconceived hint of its content.

Also of note are "Suits", "In Loco", "Black Butterflies", and the story which serves as an introduction to the book, "Graves" by Joe Haldeman.

The overall theme? War is us, and we are all scarred by it. ( )
  Davros-10 | Aug 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’m not a fan of Military Science Fiction, but when I saw among the contributors of this anthology some authors I like and that I don’t associate with that kind of fiction I thought that maybe this stories would be something different. And I was right, as what we find here is a bunch of stories dealing more with personal and moral conflicts during and after the war, than revolving around battles and the war itself. Although I liked some stories better than others, of course, I found that the level was more uniform than usual in this kind of book. This was not bad, as it meant that there was only one story I actually dislike, but on the other hand it wasn’t so good, as I didn’t find any of them impressive either, with most of the stories in the OK range, and a few in the good or pretty good one.
The stories are divided in four groups according to its theme (Wartime Systems, Combat, Armored Force and Aftermath), which a priori seemed a good idea, so I read them in order. But if I were to read this book again, I would probably jump from one group to another, to avoid a slight feeling of repetition.
Despite the aforementioned problems, I enjoyed most of the stories, and my favorites were those by Ken Liu, Yoon Ha Lee, Carlos Orsi and Keith Brooke. All in all, an interesting and worth-reading anthology for any SF fans, although not memorable. ( )
  cuentosalgernon | May 16, 2015 |

Sizemore, MikeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spendlove, JanineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sutter, JamesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dara, GalenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To say that war has had a large part in the evolution of mankind is not only a vast understatement, it is also, misleading. It implies that war is just one of many factors shaping our past—a piece of a historical puzzle.
Merry Christmas, says the gun.
War that was as intimate as a friend sitting next to you, a friend that would protect you from all harm but would also kill you with a kiss if you let slip any hint of treason.
“Which end of this do you think the bullets come out of?”
“Shit,” I advised, and rummaged through the rucksack for a beer.
1. The mission is more important than your suit.
2. Your suit is more important than your life.
— Code of the Tactical Armored Infantry

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jaym Gates's book War Stories was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,200,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible