A List of Things That Didn't Kill Me by…

A List of Things That Didn't Kill Me (2015)

by Jason Schmidt

Jason's childhood was a wild ride of dysfunction: lack of stability, drug and alchohol use all around him, an emotionally unstable, drug-addicted father who later comes down with AIDS. Unflinchingly honest and sometimes graphically horrifying, the fact that Jason kept some sense of his wits about him that he could write about it as an adult is fairly miraculous. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
It's been over a month and I'm still periodically thinking about this book. Jason's memoir tells what it was like growing up with a broke, gay dad who ended up being HIV in the 70s. It's amazing that the author was able to survive growing up this way and I think it's a testament to what we can endure. I think memoirs like this are important b/c they show teens who are growing up in fucked up situations that others have and that they've survived. I do wish it had provided a bit more background on where the author is now for that reason but still imporant without it. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
"I'm not making up any of these stories I'm telling you tonight. Um ... except for one. Except for the fact that the banana sticks to the wall when it hits. That's the only one. Everything else is true."--Spalding Gray, Swimming to Cambodia
For Tricia, who makes everything possible
When I was sixteen years old I came home from school one day and found my dad crawling around on the kitchen floor in a big pool of blood.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,939,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible