Binding Ties: The Sentinel Wars by Shannon…

Binding Ties: The Sentinel Wars

by Shannon K. Butcher

The heroine is given against her will to the enemy as a peace treaty is signed between her people and the hero's. In place, the hero's adoptive daughter is sent over to the other camp. The hero, as leader of his people, is slowly running out of time, as most of his warriors are. The power inside of him is slowly eating away at him and without his bonded female, he will die a slow death but not before going insane. He's been attracted to the sexy but hot headed enemy in his camp since day one but she makes it abundantly clear she doesn't feel the same. Though he's been nothing but kind and patient to her, the heroine comes across as nothing but a spoiled selfish brat, not the warrior she's depicted to be. She proclaims that she want' nothing more than the safety of her people yet given the chance to mend the fence between the hero's kind and hers, she spits in the face of his hospitality. She whines constantly about her loss of freedom and her imprisonment but once in the outside world, she fumbles and almost gets the hero killed when trying to save her. In a bargain with him to give her a chance to hunt down the demons responsible and find the missing children, she offers herself up to be his mate but only for the power she'll receive from it. That's fine, that's honest. But even when she knows the hero's feelings and thoughts and driven desire to protect her, she uses every opportunity to lash out at him and make his already stressful life, even more chaotic. She was beyond frustrating. And the hero wasn't much better. I can't stand it when the hero is so blinded by the females beauty to see what a vain pointless creature she really is. Maybe I'm just jealous that a man would risk everything for his woman yet receive nothing back. I don't think it's fair. This world they live in is chalked full of dangers and the only way they stand a chance is to fight together so why the hell does the heroine not see that? I also didn't think there was much of a plot. It felt like the author was just writing for the sake of writing and not really caring to make the story truly mean anything. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: When the Slayer encampment is attacked, Joseph and Lyka must work together to find a group of children taken by the Synestryn in this entertaining addition to the Sentinel Wars series.

Opening Sentence: “That woman needs to be restrained or someone is going to get hurt.”

The Review:

As leader of the Theronai, Joseph has pledged to look after his people to the best of his ability. Unfortunately, doing this means he’s stuck behind a desk rather than out in the field where he’d rather be. It also means he may as well give up hope of ever finding a Theronai woman compatible with him before his lifemark deteriorates beyond the point of no return. While this is, of course, disappointing, Joseph has come to terms with it. That is, until he discovers that Lyka – the Slayer he’s been obsessing over ever since she came to stay with his people – is in fact half Theronai.

Lyka wants one thing and one thing only – to be able to come and go from Dabyr as she pleases. When her brother arrives with news of an attack on their people, she sees her chance. Desperate to save the Slayers captured by the Synestryn, Lyka spills her secret to Joseph and ties herself to him. Now, they must work together to figure out where the Slayers are. Once they’re rescued, Lyka plans on finally being able to leave Dabyr. The big question is, will Joseph be able to let her go?

I’ve been dying for Joseph’s story ever since his character was introduced, so I was extremely excited to start this book. And for the most part, the book delivered. The plot was fast-paced and action packed. The one drawback for me was Lyka. For a good chunk of the book, she was just really unlikeable. I had sympathy for her situation, not really feeling like she belonged with either the Slayers or the Theronai, but her constant whining about wanting to leave Dabyr made a lot of my sympathy dry up. Even as she and Joseph become closer, she’s still insisting on leaving, regardless of what it would mean for Joseph or his alliance with Andreas. Part of me definitely feels that Joseph deserves better.

Other than my issues with our heroine, I greatly enjoyed the rest of the book. The overall plot with the Synestryn was solid, as it usually is in this series. The main villain was suitably creepy and dark, and I definitely wanted to see her get her comeuppance by the end. We also get a few chapters from Ronan’s point of view, and his scenes definitely have me intrigued for his story when/if we get it.

My favorite part of this series has always been the overall storyline, and that continues to be very interesting to me here. I really wish I had liked Lyka more because of how much I love Joseph, but despite my issues with her, I still enjoyed the book. I’m definitely looking forward to reading the next one!

Notable Scene:

The second he was through the glass doors leading outside, he saw her. As always, Lyka drew his complete attention, glowing like sunshine incarnate. He wasn’t sure why such a prickly woman would appeal to him on such a deep level, but there wasn’t much he could do to stop it.

Heaven knew, he’d tried.

As he watched her talking to the kids, the searing pressure behind his eyes began to fade. There was something magical about a beautiful woman, and Lyka was about as beautiful as they came. Long golden hair. Soft golden skin. Bright golden eyes. He couldn’t stare at her too long without feeling the need to shield his eyes from the glow.

Every move she made was filled with the sinuous grace of her kind. She took after her mother, showing off decidedly feline attributes beyond her catlike eyes. There was an alertness about her – a kind of intense awareness of the people around her. He knew that if he got to within twenty yards of her, she’d sense his presence. He didn’t want that yet. He liked looking at her too much for her to know he was doing so. Maybe staring at her wasn’t appropriate, but he couldn’t seem to help himself. And he sure as hell wasn’t about to tell her that she was so beautiful that merely watching her had the power to ease his pain.

He only wished he could find a way to stop wanting her. There was nothing quite like groping a man’s sister to ruin a perfectly good peace treaty.

FTC Advisory: Penguin/Signet provided me with a copy of Binding Ties. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 15, 2016 |
Joseph is a character that shows up in almost all the books. At the leader of the Theronai, he's often the one issuing commands that change the fate of the other characters. But in this book, we get his story. His love for Lyka and how that compliments and conflicts with his duty as leader, are very well done. Lyka's struggle also very plausible and I enjoyed watching Lyka overcome her flaws. Butcher does a good job of raising the stacks - Lyka's brother, Eric, walks through Hell, and I want to find out how he survives. Between that and the mystery at the end, as well as the additional allusions to other couples whose stories haven't been told (Tori and Nicholas, Ronan and Justice) - I'm desperate for the next book! ( )
  empress8411 | Mar 6, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451240839, Mass Market Paperback)

They are the Sentinels. Three races descended from ancient guardians of mankind, each possessing unique abilities in their battle to protect humanity against their eternal foes: the Synestryn. Now a warrior must protect his onetime enemy—without succumbing to his darkest desires.

Lyka Phelan is a Slayer, sent to live among her enemy to guarantee lasting peace with the Theronai. Yet she has a secret—and it could make her a slave to their power. But when a pack of Synestryn destroys her home and captures her packmates, Lyka realizes her freedom is a small price to pay for the safety of her people. So she strikes a bargain with the leader of the Theronai—one that reveals her true identity and binds her to him forever.

Joseph thought he knew better than to tangle with the beautiful, hot-blooded Lyka. One misstep could send their races straight back to war. But now he has no choice other than to help her. Forced to protect her with his life, Joseph finds himself increasingly drawn to Lyka. As they risk everything in their fight against the demons, he realizes he must convince her to surrender to him completely—otherwise she will never truly be his.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

"They are the Sentinels. Three races descended from ancient guardians of mankind, each possessing unique abilities in their battle to protect humanity against their eternal foes: the Synestryn. Now a warrior must protect his onetime enemy--without succumbing to his darkest desires. Lyka Phelan is a Slayer, sent to live among her enemy to guarantee lasting peace with the Theronai. Yet she has a secret--and it could make her a slave to their power. But when a pack of Synestryn destroys her home and captures her packmates, Lyka realizes her freedom is a small price to pay for the safety of her people. So she strikes a bargain with the leader of the Theronai--one that reveals her true identity and binds her to him forever. Joseph thought he knew better than to tangle with the beautiful, hot-blooded Lyka. One misstep could send their races straight back to war. But now he has no choice other than to help her. Forced to protect her with his life, Joseph finds himself increasingly drawn to Lyka. As they risk everything in their fight against the demons, he realizes he must convince her to surrender to him completely--otherwise she will never truly be his"--Page [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,352,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible