The Story of Us (Carnage, #1) by Lesley…

The Story of Us (Carnage, #1)

by Lesley Jones

Where do I begin, seriously where does one begin when you read the final word in this book! I'll tell you exactly where, you replace that soggy tissue with a dry one, you lay your kindle down and give Georgia a mental hug! If I could give 6 stars I'd want to give this book 7!

I had been reading good things about this book but hadn't actually got it so on the advice of several fellow readers I purchased and read it! I was blown away, the story follows the life of Georgia, her 3 brothers and their friend Sean, an honorary brother who just happens to fall in love with George when he meets her for the first time hanging upside down on monkey bars flashing her knickers without a care in the world (my kind of girl that). She's just 11 and he's 13 but they both know there will never be anyone else for either of them. George is headstrong and as the only girl and the baby of the family she's adored by her brothers. Sean's home life is not so great and he becomes part of the family, never straying far from George, Lennon or Marley. He's also the lead singer of Marley's band and as with all rockstar romances his and George's has its fair share of up and down. Sean is a sweet guy and he loves George beyond words.

The story follows them from their meeting in the early 80s and on until they're in their 30's. As I'm in the UK the language used, especially the slang, is something I recognise as is the playlist I've grown up with The Jam, I know their songs and Dire Straits Romeo and Juliet (a personal fav) will never be heard again without a little tug on my heart strings for George and Sean!

Needless to say I loved this book, it broke my heart and made me cry and 4 hours later as I write this I'm still crying! I have to admit I'm so glad there'll be a book 2 and for those of you who've read the book I'm rooting for Cam! I'm also glad for a book 2 so I too don't have to go to Melbourne to stalk the author although I'm way closer to Essex! I am now going to download Lesley Jones' other books and am hoping that I won't be such an emotional wreck by Monday!

VictoriaJ1707 | Jul 2, 2016 |
Well... I'm really struggling with my rating on this book. I think I need to settle on 3 stars. There were editing issues and parts that were just too hard for me to believe. There were parts I loved and parts I really, really hated. The more I read the book, the less I liked Georgia. Which of course I totally felt guilty about... that I shouldn't really think that, but I do. I could list out my issues with the book, but I don't want to discourage anyone from reading this book. I think you should as the author did a good job and the story is definitely different. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
This book gave me a catastrophic sodding headache.

BEWARE OF SPOILERS: You have been warned!

This story rubbed me the wrong way something awful.I HATE DOUBLE STANDARDS!

To get my rant you will have to read the novel first, because I won't get into too much detail simply the one that bugged me most:

When Sean cheated on Gia we were all supposed to boo and hiss, right? Especially because he put her trough hell on earth, that lasted four long years.

Yet, when she cheated on Cam, we were supposed to say what exactly? Awww finally they are back together. The one, true, unstoppable love that's bigger then life itself. Well I call bullshit on that one.

No matter who you love, or how hard, nothing gives you the right to treat people around you like shit, especially if those people only cared about you and helped you. Example - I adore my husband! He is the love of MY life! Still I don't find myself walking around, expecting the world to bow down and owe me favors just because i woke up in it. Sure, he isn't the lead singer of Carnage, but he did a Take That tribute once! xD (He was Gary Barlow, so in your face!)

For the first half of the novel I was riveted, until I saw just how Gia treated Cam.

Yes,yes, I know!!! Before you even go down the road 'but Gia told Cam that it will always be Sean for her', please be reminded that Gia also told Cam that as long as they are together they will not fuck other people. The author dragged us trough a gutter of emotional turmoil and angst, just to slap us in the face with the same behavior we were expected to condemn and abhor in the first half of the story.....I don't like being slapped, makes me want to slap back.

Gia is just as bad as Sean. No, scratch that, Sean was high and drunk (not much of an excuse, but there it is), Gia was simply selfish and didn't give a rat's arse about the man that dragged her out of the deep, dark pit Sean tossed her into. The only thing she thought about was herself when she cheated, lied, took Sean back to her place and fucked him again in the bed that was still warm from Cam's bodacious bod.

Love this quote:“I’m sorry Kitten, did I wake you?” For some reason, guilt washes over me as I hear Cam’s voice. I look down at my naked self and think about all the different ways Sean fucked me in my bed last night.

'For some reason'......riiiiiiiiiiiiight, I wonder what that could be, you hypocritical skank.

After Sean broke her in million pieces by cheating on her, you might think that she would have had strong feelings about the subject. Guess that road is a one way street.

The double standard is clearly visible here, Sean did a no-no, and that's bad, but Gia had a valid excuse because the author said that Sean is the love of her life, and not just that Cam isn't pissed,he's so devastated people are afraid he will off himself because of her, cuz she's speshul, and has big tits.

B*tch puhlease!

Cam, my advice to you is GTFO and find someone else, anyone else, I don't care how big her tits are, she a ho! Leave those two assholes - they deserve each other. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
4.5 stars

I finished this book days ago and I am just now to the point where I can talk about it, sort of. If you are looking for something with the kind of rip your heart out angst that will make you wish for a time machine that will either take the characters back in time, or you before you started reading page one, then look no further! This will hit you right in the feels! Ugh!

"Sean and Georgia, Georgia and Sean."

From the ages of 11 and 13, these two were inseparable. How many people can say they fell in love with their soul mate at such a young age, well these two can. It was something they just knew and felt. Sean and Georgia also didn't have a conventional childhood. Drinking and drugs were apart of their everyday habits. They never really had the guidance of a "responsible" adult which in turn put them in situations beyond their comprehension. I also think this forced them to make life altering decisions neither were ready for. I wasn't doing anywhere near this kind of stuff at their age! I was riding my bike, chatting about boy crushes with my equally silly girlfriends and coming inside before the street lights came on. I certainly wasn't sipping a SoCo and lemonade at the bar and a using little recreational "Charlie". I couldn't get over how plainly out in the open it was, as if all kids did this or maybe it's just me who lived under a rock!

Having said all that. I loved the story of Sean and Georgia. I also loved Tiger and Kitten, maybe even a little more. But I'm crazy like that!

Just don't get too comfortable and always remember to keep the title of the book in mind. It's a perfect way to describe this story both literally and figuratively.

GwendolynGrace | Jul 15, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible