Mona Lisa Awakening by Sunny

Mona Lisa Awakening

by Sunny

3.5 stars. While this book was amazing and swept me into a tide of newness and wonder there was a few things that bother me. First I would like to say that the concept of the monere and their demonic counterparts is fascinating and I can't wait to learn more about this relationship as well as that between queens and other monere. Her brother, even herself are interesting characters, they had the same reaction to learning about being other than they thought, granted they knew they were different - but a whole other species? They took it rather calmly. Another thing that bothered me was the lack of depth of the characters Gryphon and Amber- sure Amber was a tortured soul who doesn't know himself very well and Gryphon was less tortured but other than their need to protect and be her lovers I feel that I need more information about them. I feel I learned more about Halcyon and Chami as more diverse characters. Yet the book developed steadily at a fast paced race to the finish. Awesome in its development but slightly lagging behind in areas. One area not being description, the authors voice was delicious to read and the story-line reminiscent of Laurell K Hamilton. I love that about this, Hamilton is a master storyteller and I feel greatly that Sunny will become great as well with time. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Oh my!

Well first let me say I certainly did not expect the hot sex....but, well...it was very, um, let us say, scintillating! LOL!

So than, Lisa is an orphan who is soon to meet her birth mother in a very unexpected manner (which was rather contrived to say the least)....Lisa is also a nurse in ER and has the gift of healing...

In the ER is a young (old) man who has a stab wound to whom she is very drawn to (the chemistry could blow up a submarine)...and he is dying.

After he tells Lisa a bit about himself and about Lisa's possible heritage, Lisa is intent on saving him and even more intent on knowing who she might be and why the powers of healing.

Lisa is Monere (a being who has original heritage to the moon) and she is a Queen...hence her real name Mona Lisa.....

The story goes on as her quest to save this man evolves...she meets other Moneres, the Monere Queens' Council and thus a fast paced adventure begins.

There was a tad too much evilness around in such a short time frame...but I enjoyed the book none-the-less. This is a fast, enjoyable, romantic, and sexy, fantasy. I could relate! ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Book One.
I read a short story in Over the Moon and had to read the first book to see if I'd like the story line. Surprisingly, I do. It reads very similar to LKH's Anita Blake series -- sort of. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 3, 2013 |
Mona Lisa Awakening is pretty good for a first novel. And if that's not damning by faint praise, I don't know what is.

The heroine, Lisa, is not fully developed. She doesn't know who she is, so neither does the reader - she changes personae so fast you get dizzy. One second she's an insecure nurse; the next she's a hyper-dominant queen; one second she's free-loving; the next she's a moralizing monogamist. Whatever suits the moment. And there's a lot of Mary Sueism. All the men want her, all the other women are either weak or evil, and Lisa just gets more and more special.

The book reels from one earth-shatteringly climactic event to another, with not enough development between them, too much telling and not enough showing. All that high drama is ultimately numbing. This isn't helped by the fact that Sunny's writing is kind of dreamy and vague - I never had a sense of place, of entering into another world. I couldn't really see or feel what happened.

So yes, it's nicely erotic - and Mary Sueism can be a pleasant indulgence - but I was ultimately disappointed. I might read the sequel, just to see if Sunny improves as a writer, or if I feel like reading something sexy and self-aggrandizing. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
So this book has been sitting on my TBR pile for quite a while. I finally decided to read during the hubs and my honeymoon. And I basically pounded it out in a day and half. Although to be honest, I had tried to read it before that and couldn't get past the first chapter, it just didn't excite me and I felt like I was just looking at the words and not actively reading it.

Overall, the concept was different from other fantasy romance books I have read. The general idea of the book was about the children of the moon. One in particular, Mona Lisa, is the main focus. She never knew of her heritage of the moon and has always felt different compared to her coworkers. The realization of how different she really was, was when Gryphon showed up in her ER.

Gryphon believes that Lisa is a Queen (and the Monere "race" has many, many, queens) with advanced powers. Once Lisa is finally convinced that she is in fact a queen, Gryphon whisks her away and she is put in front of the court. And from there she gets land and people of her own to rule over.

Now there is two parts that I didn't particular enjoy. The first being that while the story was interesting, it wasn't enthralling. I didn't feel the need to find out what happens next, making the book just "okay" for me. Others though may disagree.

So, Gryphon had become Lisa's lover and loyal subject through out the beginning of the book and then, Lisa took on a second lover. Leading to my second dislike, multiple lovers who know about each other (and even if they didn't I still wouldn't like it). I don't know, maybe I'm just ultra monogamous, but just the thought of that type of relationship can turn me right off of a book. From there it lost even more interest for me and I don't care to read the second. I guess I like the good old fashioned two people fall in love and live happily ever after bit. ( )
  rolletm | Dec 9, 2010 |
Sickness and death was in the air-women crying, men cursing, unwashed bodies.

A smoldering debut novel exploring the passion, hunger, and danger that can break loose in the moonlight.

From the time she was a child, Mona Lisa knew she was different-but she never knew how different until a man of otherworldly beauty appeared during her night shift in the ER. Gryphon is hurting and hunted and he attracts her as no man ever has before. He is a Monère, one of the children of the moon-and what's more, so is she.

Long exiled from the moon, the men of the Monère serve-and mate with-imperious Queens who can channel the rays of their far-off homeland. Gryphon believes that Mona Lisa is a Queen- perhaps the first of Mixed Blood ever known. But her introduction to the nighttime court of the Monère, simmering with intrigue, casual lust, and calculated cruelty, is far from smooth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

"Long exiled from the moon, the men of the Monere serve - and mate - with imperious Queens, who can channel the rays of their far off homeland. Gryphon believes that Mona Lisa is a Queen - perhaps the first of Mixed Blood ever known. But her introduction to the nighttime court of the Monere, simmering with intrigue, casual lust, and calculated cruelty, is far from smooth. The other Queens are infuriated by her potential powers, and they are all menaced by a group of rogue males who have broken away from the women's sway. Even as she battles threats from within and without, Mona Lisa is determined to discover who she is, and to explore the limits of her growing power - and her secret desires."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,577,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible