At Bluebonnet Lake: A Novel (Texas…

At Bluebonnet Lake: A Novel (Texas Crossroads) (Volume 1)

by Amanda Cabot

At Bluebonnet Lake takes you on a journey through several character's lives weaving them together by bringing them all to a resort in Texas. This resort, Rainbow's End has seen it's better days yet has a marvelous cook, Carmen. Kate joins her grandmother, Sally for a month long vacation there and has no idea how she will manage thirty days away from her job in New York. Amanda Cabot fleshes out her characters well and you are able to identify with them. I found at times that the book was long, but I understand why she takes the reader through all the happenings and changes as the story develops. Love, hope, and trust in God are main themes. The book is amusing and at the same time dramatic.

I recommend reading At Bluebonnet Lake by Amanda Cabot. I understand there are sequels coming.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, which I have given.

sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
This is a wonderful story filled with inspiration, love, and hope. It's a sweet Christian romance that will fill your heart. Kate and Greg are a great couple and watching their relationship grow was touching. It is a well written book and one I would highly recommend. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
The reviews on this book run the gamut from love to hate to ehh...

Several comments were made about formatting in one review I read – and while it was later revealed to have been a digital ARC (which would explain the typos and funky formatting), I can understand how it would make the book difficult to read.

Part of what writers are told over and over and over again is that we must get our spelling, grammar and wording right so that our readers are not pulled out of the story world!

I was fortunate enough to have a paperback copy of the book (not an ARC) so I did not have these problems – thankfully!

And I believe many other reviewers who didn't love the book had a problem because they had read Amanda Cabot's historical fiction. That can be a difficult transition but perhaps it was only easier for me because I have never read Amanda Cabot's historical fiction.

I LOVE the idea of the book! A Christian resort. And hey, isn't part of the fun of a getaway... to get away! No cell service certainly sounds like just the thing!

Of course for a spunky gal who is married to her job – I can understand being bugged by a serious lack of cell service!

Amanda certainly has the characters pegged! And as far as I can tell, she didn't have any difficulty transitioning from Historical fiction to contemporary!

I've also noticed several people having issues with “Grandma” taking such a central role in the story but I have to say I find it refreshing! Too many people overlook our fantastic matriarchs (and patriarchs)!

psst... another series I just LOVE features a spunky Grandma and Grandpa – and they are my favorite part of each book!

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
Amanda is an author that I have heard many good things about but honestly have not been able to read her books for myself until now. At Bluebonnet Lake is a sweet read that was strictly about the romance between Kate and Greg and the restoration of Rainbow's End. The writing was beautiful and I loved the way Amanda told her story, however, when I read a novel set in "today's" time period, it is usually a suspenseful thriller where something unexpected happens in the unlikeliest places. So, I had some what of a difficult time reading this slower paced, modern day romance with my "today's time" mindset. At Bluebonnet Lake is beautiful book, and I loved the characters, but, I wish that I had read one of Amanda's Historical fiction books for a first time read, as historical fiction is more my thing.

I am still rating At Bluebonnet Lake 4 out of 5 stars because it really is a great book, just simply not my preference.

"I received this book from the author/publisher for the purpose of this review. All comments and opinions are my own."

You can read this review, as well as others, at http://acceleratethejesusmovement.wordpress.com ( )
  RayleighAnn | Dec 20, 2014 |
Rainbow's End seems destined to become a place of meetings, of life-long changes and sudden new directions. In essence, the old broken down resort that's seen better days, was the place many came to ponder the crossroads they faced. In this book, we meet Roy, Sally, Kate and Greg. Their quandaries and decisions are what makes this contemporary romance a rewarding read.

One of the factors I loved about this book was the vivid descriptions of the surrounding countryside and Bluebonnet Lake. I could easily imagine myself vacationing in the area. The author employed descriptive terms that conveyed well the peace and tranquility of the views. Looking through Kate's eyes, I could see the potential of Rainbow's End as she began to see it. She was a visionary for the advertising firm she worked for. She had the ability to find hidden potential for her clients' businesses as part of her work creating effective ads for them. It was only natural that she would see unique possibilities for the failing resort.

Another thing I liked was the double feature: two romances for the price of one. Both romances were reminders that we can experience love regardless of our age. I especially noticed how the sweet relationships fit the setting so well. A heavily conflicted relationship would not have matched the tranquility of the location. Of course there were some barriers both couples needed to overcome before their romance could grow, but the obstacles were not formidable. Kate and Greg, the main characters, needed some closure from past issues before they could move forward as a couple. These issues created light tension between them in spite of their attraction to each other. But the resolution was satisfying.

The third element of the plot I enjoyed was the undercurrent of faith in their lives. The author writes it as a natural part of each character's personality. God's ways were important to the four friends we grow to care for in the story. Faith was as normal as breathing. It was natural for them to read their Bibles and pray together. Reading this book, we see faith in action rather than something to preach about. God was real to them, and their comforter and source of wisdom.

The author plans to make this book the first in a series. The next book is scheduled to be released in the early months of 2015. Rainbow's End is the setting once more for the next adventure. I'm looking forward to reading them.
For more information you can go to the author's website.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary review copy of this book from Netgalley on behalf of Revell (a division of Baker Publishing). I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Beverlylynnt | Nov 26, 2014 |

Marketing maven Kate Sherwood's world is fast-paced, challenging, and always changing. The last thing she wants to do is slow down to a crawl at Rainbow's End, a dilapidated resort in the Texas Hill Country. But she cannot deny her ailing grandmother's request to visit the place where she and her deceased husband spent one glorious week (albeit fifty years ago). There Kate meets Greg Vange, the resort's handyman. But there's more to Greg than meets the eye--billions more, in fact, as he recently sold his successful software company and is at the resort in search of what's next for his life.

Kate isn't looking for romance, but she can't deny the sparks of attraction that fly every time she and Greg are together. She even starts to see potential in the rundown resort. Could there be a future there? Or will Kate's long-sought promotion take her back to the big city?

Amanda Cabot invites readers to step away from the pressures of the daily grind. They might be surprised by what they find at Rainbow's End.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

"The last thing Kate Sherwood needs is a man, so why is she so drawn to the handsome handyman at the Rainbow's End resort?" --

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,443,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible