Ash and the Army of Darkness by Steve Niles

Ash and the Army of Darkness

by Steve Niles

Other authors: Dennis Calero (Illustrator), Nacho Tenorio (Illustrator)

This collection by Steve Niles and Dennis Calero deals with Ash returned from the world of the Deadites and his fight against evil. A lot of the story takes place in Arthurian times.

I’m not too fond of the artwork which is simple but there are plenty of the undead / zombies to go round if that’s your bag. Also it’s not always clear what is happening in each panel so I found it all a bit confusing.

Of course it doesn’t help that I have not read any of the previous material but much of the plot becomes clear with explanations throughout the story. It ends in a cliffhanger of sorts as Ash seems to mess up again and again. He does not seem to be the brightest of sparks.

Recommended for lovers of zombie/undead stories.

PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |
Not crazy about this...
2:59 pm 1 November 2015
Ash and the Army of Darkness - Steve Niles
Not sure what's going on. I'm just not as crazy as I'd hoped I"d be about the Army of Darkness graphic novels. I love the movies, I love graphic novels, and these are by no means bad. I'm just not feeling them.

Maybe it was the somewhat epic scope of the movies. Sometimes that just can't be captured properly in any other medium. And I do know I feel that the mixture of comedy, romance, and horror is just slightly off here, as it focuses heavily on one and the other instead of melding them completely, but I must emphasize the 'slightly.' In the end, I'm left with a vague sense of confusion as to why I'm not rabidly fangirling over this: I should be. I'm not.

This is also a prequel to Ash Gets Hitched. Clearly I'm not reading these in order. Maybe that's adding to my sense of 'eh.' Then again, Humble Bundle doesn't make it clear which order they come in - not that they promised they would - and I'm tired of weeding through websites to find it out and then finding the proper one, downloading it - yes, I do have so many Humble Bundle books that my puny MacBook Air memory is full - and then reading it and putting it on a flash drive. (Note to self: look for flash drives on sale tomorrow!)

Anyway, there were a lot of positives. When this got into a groove - horror, and comedy mostly, which was good as it would have been too mushy for me with too much of a focus on the romance - it was really good. It was funny, it had some twists I didn't see coming, and it was in character. The art was really evocative, too.

I enjoyed it, I just can't say I enjoyed it enough to be a four star read. And in the end, I had multiple complaints, but it didn't feel like a three or three-and-a-half star complaint as I was only bothered a tiny bit by each thing. ( )
  All_Hail_Grimlock | Nov 1, 2015 |
I'm a big Steve Niles fan but have not seen the movie this graphic is the sequel to. Honestly, it did nothing for me. Not having seen the movie did not hinder my understanding of the story or plot as there are plenty of mentions about things that happened in the past to pretty much get what the movie is all about. But this story is basically just cheesy and dumb. I like Niles' dark, horror stuff and this is not that. It does have a bit of blood and gore but is mostly camp and tongue in cheek (in a not-funny way). It ends abruptly and I won't be bothering with the sequel. ( )
  ElizaJane | Oct 3, 2014 |
An fun romp of a sequel to the Army of Darkness film in graphic novel form. The dialogue was a bit sparse for my taste but got the character of Ash nearly perfect. Also the end seemed a bit abrupt but overall a fun read.
  travelinlibrarian | Sep 13, 2014 |

Steve Nilesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Calero, DennisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tenorio, NachoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The battle has been fought and won. Ash battled and defeated the Deadite image of himself and saved the world. Now all he wants to do is get home and have a normal life. Too bad he messed up the Book of the Dead incantation. New series. New start. Will Ash ever escape the land of the Deadites? Will he ever find his girl? Will he ever remember the last part of the incantation? Now an army of unbelievable horrors rules the land and only Ash can annoy them!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,398,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible