The Dystopia Chronicles by Matthew Mather

The Dystopia Chronicles

by Matthew Mather

Matthew Mather commanded my attention first with CyberStorm, which felt too close to truth to be sci-fi. His newest work, The Dystopia Chronicles, takes sci-fi to a new realm. A fast paced book of high tech concepts and quite possibly our future is a fantastic follow up to the first book in the series (also highly recommended) The Atopia Chronicles.

Technology, science, medicine all wrapped up into a great story! A must read for sci-fi fans!

Review based on free ARC copy of this book for viewing purposes ( )
  bell96 | Feb 2, 2016 |
ABR's full The Dystopia Chronicles audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I loved Atopia and could not wait to get my hands onto this one! Matthew Mayer just has a way of bringing the reader into this fantastical world that he has imagined. But the scary thing? Not only can I imagine it for fiction, I can actually see this happening in our future!

I recommend reading the Atopia Chronicles before delving into this one. He brings back quite a few of the people that we met in Atopia and their background stories are important to what happens to the plot in this one.

In Atopia Chronicles the narration jumps from one character to another and you’re not sure where you’re standing with each character until close to the end of the stories. This one is much more stream lined and due to that I think it was a better read. Instead of being a little choppy it flowed quite well. This does start RIGHT where Atopia Chronicles left off too, leaving the questions that were left at the end to be answered! I love when an author does not skip portions. It has been a little while since I read the first but I was able to immediately fall into this story. There are just enough reminders to help that transition be very smooth.

The only thing I question is how the story progresses. Even without being as choppy as the first with narration at times I had to move backward to be able to figure out where I was. Or re-listen to a portion to ensure I got the entire story right. This also may have something to do with the fact that this is getting into some serious science fiction, which is definitely not my normal genre!

Over all I thought the narration by Nick Poedhl was done very well. The audio was very clean and easy to stay with, minus the few story portions where I got lost! I absolutely love when a narrator takes time to really tell the story. This includes adding pauses. I can get lost when the pauses are not done correctly but Nick Poedhl did a fantastic job reading this and the voices were pretty easy to tell apart.

In short: A few downsides but all in all it was a good read. I loved listening to this one even with the few times I had to look back.

Audiobook purchased for review by ABR. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Mar 21, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,010,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible