Mortal Enchantment (Mortal Enchantment, #2)…

Mortal Enchantment (Mortal Enchantment, #2)

by Stacey O'Neale

193537,190 (4)None
2014 (1) ARC (1) August 2014 (1) elements (1) fantasy (2) free (1) GR Import (1) Kindle (1) magic (1) missing-shelf (1) myth-type (1) to-buy-e (1) to-read (9) YA (2) young adult (1)

From the minute I opened this book I was completely immersed and lost in it! Fast-paced story, intriguing characters, amazing world building and history - I wasn't able to read fast enough! And with each page, I wanted more and more of everything that was happening...

Right from the start we get to meet Kalin, half mortal and a half air elemental, who has just turned of age and is going to Avalon to rule alongside her father in the air court. Although her father had tried to prepare Kalin for this new world, books and discussions could only teach her so much. Kalin is overly anxious to get this new part of her life started and decides to take matters into her own hands and begins her journey into the woods on her own... and of course, she is completely unprepared for the danger that is waiting for her in the forest. And even more unaware of the mysterious and haughty person who saves her, Rowan. Kalin has been kept in the dark about a lot of political things that have been happening in Avalon, and Rowan is not about to start giving her any lessons. But promises to help her, keep her safe, until they get to the castle. When they finally get there, Kalin's arrival is far less than pleasant. And her father, King Taron, is missing.
Kalin is completely lost when it comes to how the elementals handle these situations. They are harsh and quick to judge. But, she is determined to be heard and is prepared to do what she has to do to take matters into her own hands. It is her father's wish that Kalin rule in the future and she will do what she has to do to honor it. Even if that means stepping in, for now. With no allies, except for the mysterious Rowan. Kalin begins training to learn how to control her own powers as she struggles with who can she trust to help her do what she has to do until she finds her father.

First, Kalin is quite the protagonist - she is fearless and determined. But, she is a bit too quick to jump into things and gives trust when she already knows that she should be questioning everyone's motives. No place is safe for her, she must learn how to use her powers and defend herself. Her father is missing, and her priority is to find him in any way that she can. And the only person she has been able to lean on is the ever so cryptic and egotistical, Rowan. She makes a whole lot of stupid mistakes. I cringed quite a few times. But, understandably, Kalin is just trying to do what she thinks is best in order to keep things in order while everything becomes more and more complicated.

And then, there is Rowan.

Rowan is so broken. After what he has gone through, he continues to do the right thing for Kalin. As things start to unfold and beome more complicated for him. He is still determined to help Kalin, find King Taron and put the elements back in order before a war ignites. Even though everyone is against him, and it is no longer his battle to fight, Rowan still cares about not only his people and Kalin, but the other elementals that involved as well... misunderstood and alone, Rowan struggles to keep his emotions in order whenever he's around Kalin.

There is a lot to learn about this world, and I did learn a lot right alongside Kalin. The layout of their world, how their government works and who rules what with many, many details and history lessons - I was completely immersed into every single letter on the page. Every character is so memorable. Every little detail is so prominent and poignant. If it wasn't for the possible outbreak of war, I would love to visit Avalon... I wish there was a map to go along with the book...

I highly recommend this book to all who are looking for a great fast-paced read; either those who love fantasy, or those that are looking for something a little bit different to dive into - this is definitely your kind of book to read right now!!!

*An eARC was sent to me by the author for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. ( )
  thebumblegirl | Dec 10, 2014 |
This book has a bit of everything: angst, love, adventure and political intrigue. The politics that exist among the four elemental courts (Air, Water, Fire, & Earth) help drive the story and gives the reader some interesting world building to enjoy.

Entwined with the magical realms is are own and the foray back and forth between the two gives readers a nice change of pace and perspective.

I like Rowan and mostly like Kalin. The budding romance between the two was believable and the depth of Rowan's secrets and feelings were insightful and added depth to the story. Kalin drove me nuts because there were more times when she got on my nerves than when I actually liked her as a character. I know angst is the name of the game when we write YA but sometimes too much angst is a bad thing.

Overall, though, this was a fun read.

Would I recommend this book to others? Yes I would. I'm enjoying this series tremendously and look forward to the next novel in it. ( )
  kishazworld | Oct 14, 2014 |
By the end of THE SHADOW PRINCE I had no doubt that I wanted to read MORTAL ENCHANTMENT. I really enjoyed meeting Rowan and the world that O'Neale created.

It took me a few chapters to 'like' Kalin. I didn't dislike her I just didn't instantly connect with her like I did Rowan. She was never in a good position with being a half-ling and entering the Air Court for the first time. Her father's disappearance only made the whole situation worse. Considering her position I felt she handled everything pretty well but there were few times where I felt she could have acted a bit more mature. She is young though so I didn't hold it against her too much. I still very much enjoyed Rowan. I like his personality and even though he doesn't have to he did a great job teaching Kalin how to use her magic and navigate things at court (After reading THE SHADOW PRINCE I had no doubt he would be glued to her side.) Their romance was slow and cautious but there is great hope for them in the future.

The story was told at a nice pace and there was some great action. There could have been some greater detail in some of the scenes but overall I enjoyed the world building. I still have a lot of questions after reading MORTAL ENCHANTMENT so I look forward to seeing what comes next for the characters.

This book was provided free of charge from the Author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | May 31, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible