Doctor January by Rhoda Baxter

Doctor January

by Rhoda Baxter

611,268,033 (3.25)None
2017 (1) ebook (1) Kindle (1) romance (1) to-read (2)

Doctor January is romantic comedy with dark undertones. The dialogue is light and funny, but the main theme is about saving someone from emotional abuse. It also touches on the difficulties faced by women in science

That does say it perfectly. The book is light and I liked the banter. But the more I got to know Beth I could see why she acted the way she did and when her ex comes back it gets worse. He is emotionally abusive and more. What I think is Beth is not really Beth, that is just Beth trying to please everyone and hiding.

Right, back to the beginning. We got Hibs and Beth working in a lab (the author knows her science.) They are friends but maybe they could be more? If Beth was not still in love with her ex, and if that ex had not come back later. Arghhh I hated Gordon. A true idiot.

The book takes a darker turn when Gordon gets back, but that is why this is not contemporary romance. It's more about Beth trying to live her life.

There is drama, every day life, romance, and romance turned bad. All in one. And add some suspense too.

The cover is all wrong in my eyes, that and the title made me think this was some kind of spy novel. See James Bond and more. Nope. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |

If you keep looking back, you might miss what's standing right in front of you - Six months after a painful break-up from Gordon, Beth's finally getting her life back on track. She has faith in her own scientific theories and is willing to work hard to prove them. She's even beginning to see Hibs, her dedicated lab partner, as more than just a lousy lothario in a lab-coat and goggles. So when Gordon arrives back from America without warning and expects to be welcomed back into Beth's arms, she's totally thrown. She also quickly begins to see that Gordon isn't the man she thought he was - Hibs has always held a candle for Beth, but he can only wait so long for her to realise there's more to life than being patronised and bullied by the one who's meant to love and protect her. Will Beth forsee the explosive nature beneath Gordon's placid surface before he destroys everything she's worked for, both inside and outside the lab?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,555,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible