Surviving Henry: Adventures in Loving a…

Surviving Henry: Adventures in Loving a Canine Catastrophe

by Erin Taylor Young

2014 (1) adult (2) Animal - Dog (1) animals (2) autobiography (1) B17 (1) Christian (1) dogs (4) eb (1) GR Import (1) humor (3) humot (1) memoir (3) non-fiction (3) pets (1) to-read (8)

Henry is not your run of the mill Boxer. He is insane. But that's ok because so us his owner. I assumed by the end of the book the family would move next door to the vet's office for convenience. They certainly made him a millionaire with all of Henry's stunts. The book is hysterical and should not be read in public because you will laugh out loud-over and over. I want a Henry of my own! ( )
  wearylibrarian | Aug 20, 2016 |
This is definitely a wonderful book, especially for dog-people who know that personality is 85% the battle with any pooch even the ones that don't seem like problem pups. The constant battles, the insane behaviors and the constant strange behavior hits home time and time again while it made me think of the strange behaviors of my own dogs when I had them.

The author hit it on the nail that she is a comedian and even when you wanted to flinch in pain with her you were too busy laughing at the antics of everyone involved. Yes I did get the crazy look when I started laughing aloud when the cute puppy turned into an evil Chuck Norris while I am sure if I had read the majority of the book in public I would have been tied to an asylum.

Can't wait to watch some movies of Henry and have been blessed to read the story of the Youngs. Hope he is around for many years while I love how the ending of the book has a small twist to it. Most definitely a keeper for my own shelves! ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 25, 2015 |
Surviving Henry Adventures in Loving a Canine Catastrophe by Erin Taylor Young
I LOVED this book. Henry is a boxer with endless energy. It was refreshing to hear the antics of others peoples pets. I found the author Erin Taylor Young, to be quite funny and found myself laughing so hard I cried. In all Henry’s antics he was still loveable, reminds me of a kid with ADHD. Always into something but never with a malice heart. Henry reminds me of some of the dogs and cats I have owned or fostered. I admire the way the author summed it up, “I love this dog… because, maybe this is the sum of countless choices. Every decisions I’ve made to keep going, keep working, keep trying had added up to loving Henry with my actions, even when my feelings were anything but. Funny how the warmth of emotion caught up to my choices somewhere along the way. Like finding a rare gift in s beat up box.”
The author did a fantastic job of describing Henry with love and passion. I give Surviving Henry 5 stars and would loved to read more about him. I normally do not read much non-fiction but loved this one and would consider others by this author.
I want to thank the author Erin Taylor Young and publisher Revell for bringing good clean funny Christian books like this one to readers like me. I would also like to thank The Book Club Network Inc. for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  inspiremichelle | Sep 12, 2014 |
Calling all "Marley" and "Henry" owners...

I knew from the opening sentence I was in for a laugh a minute... And I was . The book starts, "Our dog has special needs, the greatest being the need for a lobotomy." Following Erin Young's tongue-in-cheek humor, slight exaggerations, and over-the-top stories, I laughed out loud till I cried. Henry is one dog with doggy ADHD and then some.

Any dog owner, whether one who has a perfect pet, or one who owns (or has owned, in my case) a "Henry" or "Marley" will thoroughly enjoy the stories of Henry's boat rides, his walks accompanied by bike rider or scooter, his leaps into who-knows-what,etc.

Erin is a great humorist who knows how to deliver her one liners. I only hope I can remember my favorites (and use them in real life):
"It's as if his brain took a vacation for the past few minutes and didn't even send a postcard." (Definitely good for use on more than just dogs!)
"Manipulation is a beautiful thing. When used responsibly."
Trying to keep the dog exercised, Erin felt like Wile E. Coyote, "moving from one Acme disaster to another."

Still, the best quote has to be the lesson Erin learned:"Real love can't be about satisfying a feeling.. it costs and it hurts and it's one life-wrenching mess of a lesson..It's...embodying the notion of unconditional giving .Of mercy. Of commitment. It's becoming a better person for having lived through the crucible."

Fortunately, Erin and her family do, and they persist until they find out how to live with and love their hyper dog and even how to train him to be more enjoyable to be around. Great fun to read! I received this book through bookfun.org in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Becky_L | Sep 1, 2014 |
Fond memories of her perfectly behaved childhood boxer, spurns Erin Young to purchase a boxer puppy for their family. He has charisma, is a fantastic example of the boxer breed, and turns everyone’s head with his stunning good looks. The Young’s are sure they have the perfect pet. It didn’t take long for them to realize Henry was anything but perfect!
His antics are off the charts! From endangering his life more than once with his exploits, to barely passing obedience school, along with many other crazy hijinks, he puts his owners through. There is never a dull moment with Henry. In fact someone has to watch him at all times to keep him out of trouble! There is no doubt he has an extreme case of doggie ADHD!
This is hands down the BEST book about a dog I have ever read! Ms. Young is an artist and comedian with words. I have never laughed so hard in such a long time! I was reading it while waiting in the doctor’s office and kept bursting out laughing.
The author’s sense of humor is impeccable. The book is so well written. I couldn’t put it down!
It is also the story of the deep, committed love of a family for their “fur baby”. Their devotion in caring for him, in spite of his challenging and eccentric behavior was very touching. Most people would have just given up and taken him to a shelter but they love Henry for who he is mishaps and all. Through her dealings with Henry, Ms. Young begins to realize the unconditional love God has for her.
I enjoyed this book so much I am going to read it again! If I could I would give it a 10 star rating! This book is a MUST read!
Be sure to go to http://survivinghenry.com/ to see videos of Henry in action and learn more about his amazing family.
I received this book free from Revell Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Aug 8, 2014 |
To the memory of Glen Leroy Young, a humble giant in farmer's clothes.
1922-2013
Our dog has special needs, the greatest being the need for a lobotomy.

You don't always know what you're getting into when you bring home a puppy. Enter Henry, a boxer who suffers from Supreme Dictator of the Universe Syndrome. He vandalizes his obedience school, leaps through windows, cheats death at every turn, and generally causes his long-suffering owner Erin Taylor Young to wonder what on earth she did that God would send this dog to derail her life.

Through his laugh-out-loud antics and escapades, Henry will steal readers' hearts. Anyone who has ever owned a dog, especially a canine catastrophe like Henry, will enjoy this lighthearted book about a dog who brings new meaning to the concept of unconditional love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:52 -0400)

The author shares the story of her boxer puppy who completely upended her life, but taught her the concept of unconditional love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,368,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible