The Gothic Fairy Tale in Young Adult…

The Gothic Fairy Tale in Young Adult Literature: Essays on Stories from…

by Joseph Abbruscato

207515,329 (3.79)2

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great overview of the use of Gothic in YA literature. I had not read all the books which were discussed, but the main points were concisely presented and I felt that I understood each essays main points. As a fan of Neil Gaiman and Orson Scott Card I enjoyed the essays which focused on some of their works. ( )
  kkunker | Apr 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Gothic Fairy Tale in Young Adult Literature is an informative and thought provoking look at a frequently maligned/marginalized genre. I would have liked it better if more authors had been covered (I love Neil Gaiman, but did the book really need to have two full essays and a significant chunk of a third dedicated to his work?), but overall it was worth the read. ( )
  amanda4242 | Jan 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the articles collected in this book that were obtainable to me, having read the materials in discussion. Those that I hadn't read yet are now on my wishlist. While some of the essays were more a review of other people's theories, I appreciated the depth of interpretation in all of them, showing that fairy tales are more than just stories for children.

As another reviewer suggested, this collection of essays might be a way to interest students in literary theory. ( )
  HippieLunatic | Jan 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have not read every young adult novel discussed in this collection of critical essays, but did find the essays that were accessible to me (especially the two essays on Neil Gaiman and the essay on Orson Scott Card) interesting. One of the essays from this volume could be an excellent way to introduce older secondary students to literary criticism, intertextuality, and/or the study of literary archetypes. This volume might also help persuade a reluctant department head or school administrator that young adult literature can be integrated in the curriculum in a way that still demands and develops higher level thinking and writing. I also enjoyed the introductory essay by Abbruscato (although I don't fully agree with his criticism of modern so-called "fairy tales") and could foresee using it in whole or in part during a unit on fairy tales and their adaptations.

I do agree with a previous reviewer that the authors occasionally get so caught up in their scholarly exploration that they seem to lose touch with the spirit of the original text. This is always an issue with scholarly criticism of literature, however, rather than a vice specific to this volume. ( )
  agrondin | Dec 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you're a fan of YA or fairy tales, this is a great book to supplement your reading. This collection of essays covers some of the big name books, like Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book," Card's "Ender's Game," and McKinley's "Deerskin" among others, and explores the themes and morals of the genre. The essays vary in scope and - unfortunately - in quality, but overall this is a great resource for anyone interested in these books and the traditions that they stemmed from. ( )
  ligature | Dec 12, 2014 |
Joseph Abbruscato--
For Mom and Dad. You encouraged my curiosity,
fostered my infatuation with books,
and taught me the importance of stories.
This would not have been possible without you. I love you both.

Tanya Jones--
For the storytellers who keep fairy tales alive.
For the big bad wolf who always keeps Little Red on her toes.
And for Natalya whose fairy tale is just beginning.
One of the oldest and most well known literary genres is the fairy tale.

Rooted in the oral traditions of cultures worldwide, fairy tales have long played an integral part in children's upbringing. Filled with gothic and fantastical elements like monsters, dragons, evil step-parents and fairy godmothers, fairy tales remain important tools for teaching children about themselves, and the dangers and joys of the world around them.

In this collection of new essays, literary scholars examine gothic elements in more recent entries into the fairy tale genre--for instance, David Almond's Skellig, Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and Coraline and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events--exploring such themes as surviving incest, and the capture and consumption of children. Although children's literature has seen an increase in reality-based stories that allow children no room for escape from their everyday lives, these essays demonstrate the continuing importance of fairy tales in helping them live well-rounded lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joseph Abbruscato's book The Gothic Fairy Tale in Young Adult Literature was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible