Robert Downey Jr. from Brat to Icon: Essays…

Robert Downey Jr. from Brat to Icon: Essays on the Film Career

by Erin E. Macdonald

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like Downey Jr., but the essays are really more for someone who is a true film buff or student interested in making films rather than someone only casually interested like me. I gave it to my sister to read, because she adores him, and she said she felt much the same. Well written and interesting to an extent, but for someone who is only peripherally interested in film (like, watching one while eating popcorn), it's a dry, sometimes heavy read. ( )
  Storeetllr | Sep 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an interesting, well thought collection of essays examining Mr. Downey"s movies and career. It would be excellent for movie buffs and film students.
  krisa | Aug 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found the essays a little hard to stick with. I had hoped for something maybe a little more colorful, but if you're interested in a rather dry, in depth and analytical accounting of Mr. Downey's movies and/or enjoy reading essays I would suggest this book. Not something I would read for the sheer enjoyment of it, but I guess it would be good if you're a student of cinema. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | May 15, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
MacDonald's book is an excellent collection of essays analyzing Robert Downey Jr.'s entire film career and acting style. Each essay does provides an in-depth overview not only of the making of each movie, but Downey Jr.'s methods, struggles, and contributions to each film as well. It truly shows the actor as artist. The book is by no means a light read, and may be more interesting to those in film school rather than a casual fan of the actor. It was a good read however, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in film-making. ( )
  bookwormgeek | May 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is not a light tramp through the career of Robert Downey Jr., it is a serious study of the art of filmaking with the Robert Downey's career as the lynchpin. The essays are well written and thorough and would serve well as a textbook for a filmaking class. Accordingly, if you are interested in filmaking I highly recommend it. ( )
  bg853 | Apr 14, 2015 |

Robert Downey Jr. may be best known as Iron Man, but his career as an actor stretches back to the 1980s and features several Oscar-quality roles. He has worked with a wide range of innovative directors from Oliver Stone and Robert Altman to Richard Linklater and Shane Black, and has played punk kids, detectives, journalists and even a serial killer.

This fascinating collection of essays combines scholarly attention to detail with a highly readable style to examine, in roughly chronological order, more than 25 of Downey's best performances in films as diverse as Less Than Zero, Chaplin, Natural Born Killers, A Scanner Darkly, The Soloist and Tropic Thunder. Including a biography, chronology and filmography, the book highlights the inseparability of the actor's biography from his works and from the unique combination of talents he brings to his roles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Erin E. Macdonald's book Robert Downey Jr. from Brat to Icon was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible