White Robes and Burning Crosses: A History…

White Robes and Burning Crosses: A History of the Ku Klux Klan from 1866

by Michael Newton

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an incredibly interesting book. Of course, it infuriated me from the moment I opened it, but then that was not surprising; I knew what I was getting into.

The style is a bit academic, with source notes indicated throughout. This book is not a light speed-read, for sure. But it's incredibly interesting and filled with all sorts of things I had no idea about; it's well written and well researched. The text is arranged chronologically, starting at the beginning with the creation of the Klan and going on through its evolution over time. There are a number of photos and images scattered throughout. Definitely recommended for anyone interested in such a large (and horrible) piece of American history.
  .Monkey. | Oct 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This reads more as a text book, but one that doesn't allude to any historical significance one way or the other and leaves the reader to come to conclusions. A great addition to professional libraries or use in academia. ( )
  JacobDecker | Jun 3, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's hard to review this book. As a reference text, it deserves five stars: it's impeccably researched and highly detailed, with a comprehensive index and easily searchable chronological design. As a reader, it is quite dry and disjointed, as the author does not spend time drawing connections or interpretations for the reader to grapple with. I read this over the course of a few train commutes, and I would have enjoyed more interpretation. However, I will keep this in my personal library as a reference guide. Highly recommended for an academic audience; less so for a lay reader.
  sparemethecensor | Jan 17, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Whether you call them gangs, hate groups, threat groups or terrorist groups this is one of the best books on the subject that I have encountered. Mr. Newton has taken extensive research on a group that has an almost 150 year history and presented it in a very readable manner. Maybe more importantly, he presents the material in a straight forward manner so that the reader can form his or her own opinions. Very well done, this is a valuable addition to my professional library and I would highly recommend this book to any student of these groups. ( )
  Hedgepeth | Jan 16, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It was the publisher's description of the author that gave me some pause initially: "Michael Newton is the author of 278 books." It gets better: Mr. Newton was born (according to LC's CIP data) in 1951. So, assuming/guesstimating that he wrote his first book at age 21, that would translate into Mr Newton writing about SEVEN books/year! Which is pretty darn prolific! Which also gave me some concern over just what kind of book this would be. And what this book is is a straight historical approach, concise, without adornment or analysis -- to again quote from the back cover, "the story is told without embellishment because, ... the truth about the Ku Klux Klan is grim enough." It certainly is. There are certainly prouder moments and movements in US history, but it is important to know all of our past, if we are to have any sort of future. ( )
  bks1953 | Jan 12, 2015 |
For Stetson Kennedy
(1916-2011)
The Ku Klux Klan was 95 years old when I "discovered" it in 1961.

With its fiery crosses and nightriders in pointed hoods and flowing robes, the Ku Klux Klan remains a recurring nightmare in American life. What began in the earliest post-Civil War days as a social group engaging in drunken hijinks at the expense of perceived inferiors soon turned into a murderous paramilitary organization determined to resist the "evils" of radical Reconstruction. For six generations and counting, the Klan has inflicted misery and death on countless victims nationwide and since the early 1920s, has expanded into distant corners of the globe. From the Klan's post-Civil War lynchings in support of Jim Crow laws, to its bloody stand against desegregation during the 1960s, to its continued violence in the militia movement at the turn of the 21st century, this revealing volume chronicles the complete history of the world's oldest surviving terrorist organization from 1866 to the present. The story is told without embellishment because, as this work demonstrates, the truth about the Ku Klux Klan is grim enough.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:36 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michael Newton's book White Robes and Burning Crosses was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,419,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible