Queer in the Choir Room: Essays on Gender…

Queer in the Choir Room: Essays on Gender and Sexuality in Glee

by Michelle Parke (Editor)

1None3,689,591NoneNone
Recently added byMcFarland

No tags.

No reviews

About the Book
These new essays examine the many ways that issues of gender and sexuality intersect with other identities and practices—including race, religion, disability, music and education—on the Fox hit program Glee. With gender and sexuality concerns at the crux, the authors tackle such specific aspects of the show as the coming out narrative, Glee fandom and fan fiction, representation of sex education, and the intersection of Broadway music and queerness. The aim of these essays is to open up a dialogue about Glee—which is often dismissed by critics and fans alike—and to reveal how scholars are critically engaging with the show around issues of gender and sexuality.

Table of Contents

Acknowledgments vi
Introduction: Why Glee? 1
I. The Narratives of Coming Out: "I have to just be me"
Coming Out: Challenging Portrayals of Diverse Sexualities (Tracy L. Hawkins) 11
Forced Out of the "flannel closet": The ­Coming-Out-Gay Imperative (Taylor Cole Miller) 24
II. The Intersectionality of Queerness and Other Identities: "I’m not interested in any labels, unless it’s on something I shoplift"
Race and Ethnicity
"The only straight I am is ­straight-up bitch": Santana, Kurt, and Discursive Constructions of "Post"-Identity Ideology (Benjamin Phelps) 39
Defying Blackness: The E(race)ure of Mercedes Jones (Anita M. DeRouen) 54
"We’re all freaks together": White Privilege and Mitigation of Queer Community (M. Shane Grant) 69
Religion
The Princess and Her Queen: A Queer Duet (Rachel E. Silverman) 84
Going Beyond Grilled Cheesus: Glee and Queer Theology (Erin Kathleen Marshall) 97
Disability
"I still have use of my penis": Disability and Queer Sexuality (Meredith Wiggins) 107
Sexualities
"So, is this the part where you judge me?" Adolescent Sexuality (Niall ­Nance-Carroll) 125
Let Me Get This Straight: Attraction and Actions (Christine L. Ferguson) 137
No Substitute for Comprehensive Sex Ed: Analyzing Sexual Ethics (Jane B. Meek) 150
The Musical Theatre Performer
Glee and the "Ghosting" of the Musical Theatre Canon (Barrie Gelles) 167
III. The Complexities of Gender--Overachievers, Good Girls, Bad Girls, and Tough Guys: "That attitude starts in high school"
Gold Stars and Slushies: The High Cost for Overachieving Girls (Kasey Butcher) 187
"I’m a Slave 4 U" but Only When I Want to Be: Female Sexual Agency
 (Melissa Esh) 200
"The Power of Madonna": Unleashed?  (Rebekah Lobosco) 215
Doppelgangers in Lima: Gendered Identities and Divided Selves (Sheryl Lyn Bundy) 229
IV. "I know what Glee is. I’m a total Gleek": The Cultural Reach of Glee and the Many Roles of Its Fandom
Glee Literally Means Glee: The Queer Art of Community’s Parody (Nicholas Alexander Hayes) 243
"Everything is Klaine and nothing hurts": Klaine Fandom and Explorations of Teen Sexuality by Female Fanfiction Writers (Emily ­Hamilton-Honey and Amy Patrick) 255
About the Contributors 269
Index 273 [McFarland]

These new essays examine the many ways that issues of gender and sexuality intersect with other identities and practices--including race, religion, disability, music and education--on the Fox hit program Glee. With gender and sexuality concerns at the crux, the authors tackle such specific aspects of the show as the coming out narrative, Glee fandom and fan fiction, representation of sex education, and the intersection of Broadway music and queerness. The aim of these essays is to open up a dialogue about Glee--which is often dismissed by critics and fans alike--and to reveal how scholars are critically engaging with the show around issues of gender and sexuality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,891,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible