Eminem and Rap, Poetry, Race: Essays by…

Eminem and Rap, Poetry, Race: Essays

by Scott F. Parker

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm a huge rap fan, and also a lit geek. I really dug the idea of a collection of essays from different points of view: academic, music, social, etc. Some of the essays really reached into the content and meaning of his lyrics and social history. Some of the essays felt like they just skimmed the surface. Overall though, I really appreciated the chance to read a deeper dive into his work. ( )
  saraswati27 | Mar 9, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this as a LibraryThing Early Reviewer. Although I myself am not an Eminem fan, I thought it would be a great book to share with some of my students who are. The essays, though, are too complex for most high-school students.
  shootingstar2428 | May 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a collection of essays from experts about Eminem that not only deal with his popularity and his fast-rising success but also delve into the technical aspects of his craft. The essays intelligently explore the controversies, appeal, and role of Eminem in music and hip-hop from a variety of perspectives and frameworks. It is extremely interesting, and it is organized in such a way that the reader does not need to read the entire book in one sitting but can only focus on those chapters that are of interest. Personally, I found the chapters titled "Neither Black nor White: Poor White Trash" and "Somewhere in Between: Eminem's Ambiguities" to be extremely interesting. True fans of Eminem will want to read this book, of course, but those with interest of race in society will also find this an informative and fascinating read. No background information or context of hip-hop is necessary, although the essays will deepen current knowledge of those fans of hip-hop aesthetics. ( )
  Melissa.Arnett | Feb 16, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My son is a huge fan of Eminem and has read a lot of material about the artist. The information here is eclectic. The only thing I would say is a downfall of this book, is the lack of photos. The addition of photos would tell some of his story a little better. ( )
  kissedbyink | Feb 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received Eminem and Rap, Poetry, Race: Essays by Scott F. Parker as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. This book contains a collection of essays on the famous rapper with an emphasis on his place in the world of Hip Hop. This is probably a must read for his most ardent fans or hard core rap fans; however, for the general public I think, like me, they will find the book a little too scholarly. ( )
  PeggyK49 | Jan 20, 2015 |

Eminem is the best-selling musical artist of the 21st century. He is also one of the most contentious and most complex artists of our time. His verbal dexterity ranks him among the greatest technical rappers ever. The content of his songs combines the grotesque and the comical with the sincere and the profound, all told through the sophisticated layering of multiple personae. However one finally assesses his contribution to popular culture, there's no denying his central place in it. This collection of essays gives his work the critical attention it has long deserved. Drawing from history, philosophy, sociology, musicology, and other fields, the writers gathered here consider Eminem's place in Hip Hop, the intellectual underpinnings of his work, and the roles of race, gender and privilege in his career, among various other topics. This original treatment will be appreciated by Eminem fans and cultural scholars alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:28 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Scott F. Parker's book Eminem and Rap, Poetry, Race was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible