Chet Atkins: The Greatest Songs of Mister…

Chet Atkins: The Greatest Songs of Mister Guitar

by Mark S. Reinhart

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Free early review book from Library Thing.

This book was not what I was expecting. I found it to be very boring. I love Chet Atkins music and was looking forward to reading about his life. This was about his guitars. As long as the music was good and it was I could care less about the guitar he played it on. ( )
  love2cook | May 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great book for people interested in music and music history, budding and accomplished musicians and music buffs. The author is genuinely knowledgeable about Chet Atkins, his music and his life. It is reflected in the book and the passion really comes across to the reader.

As well as a short biography of Chet Atkins, the book delves into the details of each of the musicians songs. In each discography, there are dates and details about where the recording was made, the musicians who participated in the sessions and background on the songs. Most important and interesting to musicians, is the detail Reinhart provides with information on chords, tuning and what guitars Atkins used to record the songs.

One of the things I particularly enjoyed was the background information on the songs themselves. I was never that interested in country music until I visited the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, TN and received a wonderful education in American Folk music and how it evolved into what is now country. The lines between country and rock and roll were much tighter when Chet Atkins was starting out and the discography really delves into the history of where these songs originally came from.

I think most guitarists would definitely love to have this book as an addition to their music library. For those with an interest in the history of US music and American Folk traditions, this is a great book with lots of background. Well worth the purchase price. ( )
  ozzieslim | Feb 21, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a good introduction to Chet Atkin's career and vast amount of song recordings as only a portion of his recorded songs are discussed. Mark Reinhart establishes his credibility for this work with his great appreciation of Chet's musical contributions, most especially in his guitar playing. Chet's guitar affiliations, details of recording sessions, and techniques are provided as background in each of the many entries in an abundant and fulfilling manner. The reader's attention is successfully captured and maintained throughout the book. For example, Reinhart describes Atkins' work with 2 other artists saying "...they still had yet to record their finest work together - but that is a story we'll get to just a bit later in the book." (p.34) This book is a great tribute to Chet Atkins' recording work, but the reader should be prepared to encounter grammatical and typographical errors on average once every 10 pages or so. I think the editing could have been a little more thorough. There was also repetition almost word for word in a couple of the initial sections. Overall, a good resource and time well spent by Reinhart. I am glad to be more familiar with Chet's songs than I was before as well as his work as a producer. ( )
  niquetteb | Feb 15, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Chet Atkins: The Greatest songs of Mister Guitar by Mark Reinhart is such an interesting compilation of the background of of the life of Chet Atkins and many of the songs he had a part in during his musical career. Having been a Chet Atkins fan for years, this was all quite enlightening information. Much of the guitar information was beyond me, but it was so interesting to read the whys and hows of the songs that were so important to his career. I can't imagine the research and studying that went into the writing of this work. Thank you LibraryThing for selecting me to review this book. ( )
  CandyH | Jan 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Chet Atkins: The Greatest Songs of Mister Guitar by Mark S. Reinhart is an interesting read by a fan of Chet Atkins. There are many (137) of his greatest hits listed in this book. The author goes into great detail of each song , such as composer, producer, the musicians, location and date of recording, and the original release information. Plus telling more detailed information about each and every song. Mark Reinhart and his parents were really huge fans of Chet Atkins as you can tell by the reading of this book.

I highly recommend this book to other Chet Atkins fans it is a must have for your collection or if you want to learn more about the music of Chet Atkins.
I received an ARC (advanced readers copy) from LibraryThing in exchange for my honest review rather it be good or bad. Thank you. ( )
  kykim | Jan 20, 2015 |

Highlighting Chet Atkins' 50-plus-year career as a virtuoso, singer, songwriter and record producer, this book is an analysis and appreciation of the most noteworthy recordings of one of the world's greatest guitarists. Atkins' whole body of work--truly unmatched in the history of modern musical entertainment--and nearly 140 of his all-time greatest recordings are discussed. A concise overview of his life and work is provided.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mark S. Reinhart's book Chet Atkins was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible