Every Ugly Word by Aimee Salter

Every Ugly Word

by Aimee Salter

Includes A note from the author, and Discussion Questions.

Future Ashley has been seeing Past Ashley in a mirror for five years, trying her best to get her to make different decisions without revealing her future. A psychiatrist is the only thing that stands between her release and being able to help Past Ashley with the most important decision of her life, but Doc wants to hear her whole story from the very beginning. With her heart in her mouth, and an eye on the clock, Future Ashley begins to talk.

Ashley is seventeen, and for the last 5 years has been severely and constantly bullied by former friends both in and out of school. She can’t tell her teachers what’s going on, while her mother blames her for everything. Matt is the only friend she has left, but she doesn’t dare let him know she’s in love with him because she doesn’t want to lose him too.

Spending time with Matt, hoping to get a scholarship to art school, and talking to her future self are the only things keeping her sane. Ashley just wants to make it through the rest of her senior year, but Matt’s girlfriend and friends are determined to make her life a living hell. As the bullying intensifies, will Ashley find the strength to fight back or sink under pressure?

Having been the victim of constant bullying up until 11th grade, I found it very difficult to read about Ashley’s tormented life without reacting. It is my sincerest hope that bullies will see themselves in this book, understand how deeply their actions hurt, and that they will STOP. I also hope bystanders see themselves, and know how much they are needed to help someone who’s being bullied so they don’t feel alone. Finally, I hope victims gain strength from this book and realize they are important and valued.

Recommended for ages 14 and older.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2017/03/19/every-ugly-word-aimee-l-salter/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Mar 19, 2017 |
A good read

I really enjoyed this book until it took a bit of a bizarre twist. It kept me interested from the beginning to the end. At first I could not put it down. ( )
  Sallynotoes | Jan 15, 2017 |
I read this book that I rented from the library and fell in love with it. I loved that it told a side of bullying that I know too well then it goes into a supernatural like side that begs the question: If you could help your younger self at a most critical time even if it changes your future, would you? It happened for Ashley and because of it she stood up and kept fighting her bullies. Makes me wish I could have done that as well. I really liked as well to find out the author was bullied as well. It put things into perspective. ( )
  BrandyBurgart1 | Oct 13, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

There were two things I was looking forward to in this book. No, make that three as I'd read some very positive reviews as well. One, the complete story is set as a conversation between Ashley and her psychiatrist (a setting I find incredibly interesting as it is exactly the kind of thing I've been planning to use for my own story - the one that has been in my head for a couple of years now and doesn't really feel like coming out). Besides, it has a Möbius-strip time paradox, which I always find fascinating. For both things however, it's important it's done right, for it can make or brake the story.

For that was my reason to read the book, it's not the main subject. Ashley is being bullied in the most terrible way, and even though it's clearly visible (even for teachers or the like) nothing gets done about it. Her mother is, to say the least, unsupportive, blaming Ashley for the awkward feeling she has when hanging out with the parents of the kids that bully Ashley. O, how I wanted to slap her in the face. Things get even worse when Matt, her best friend and secret crush, befriends her torturers making her feel even more abandoned. And all the while, Ashley's talking to her older self in the mirror, who's say she's trying to save her from the same fate but isn't willing to give her enough information to do so.

It was a real pageturner. I was really curious to find out what the terrible thing that happened (and that they refer to right at the beginning, she's not seeing a shrink for nothing of course) was, especially since I also believed that it was the thing that Older Ashley was trying to save Ashley from. When I was reading I was always thinking: this is the last chapter, than I'll go to sleep. But I kept thinking it for the next 6 chapters or so. The setting working very well and made it very hard for me to put the book away.

I was wondering about the mirror paradox though. Ashley's conversations with her older self I'm willing to buy without as much as a second time. Nothing weird about that. But at first it's suggested that she's some several years older that Ashley's now. While near the end, it feels like

she's actually only a couple of months older, as it doesn't feel like Ashley's been in the institution for years. This depends of course on how long Ashley's already having these conversations, for I don't think the Young Ashley that's eventually saved by Ashley is already preparing her younger self since the Terrible Things hasn't happened yet. However, Ashley sees Older Matt in the mirror once. When did that happen, because I clearly didn't get the idea that he'd been to visit her in the institution or had any idea of her talking to mirrors at all. So, were there two different Older Ashleys talking to Ashley? How did she not notice? How does that even work? I'm confused

This however did not spoil the story for me. I wanted to say I enjoyed reading it a lot, but that feels wrong with a subject this serious like bullying. The story was very interesting though and the setting and (although not perfect) the paradox didn't let me down. I would definitely read another book by this author.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Ashley is an artist and has become accustomed to being ridiculed for simply being herself. Would she feel differently about herself if her mom thought differently of her? Does she make choices based on how she perceives how others expect her to behave, and does she subconsciously draw their attention to her flaws?

See my complete review at The Eclectic Review ( )
  sherton | Jan 18, 2016 |
To Alan. You're the handsomest guy in the room of my life, and way more important than doing the recycling. Thank you. God makes dreams come true, but He used you to fulfill mine.
As the psychiatrist enters the room, he offers me a patronizing smile.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,123,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible