Crash & Burn by Lisa Gardner

by Lisa Gardner

Series: Tessa Leoni (3)

twisted ( )
  Janicemo | Feb 25, 2018 |
Your usual Lisa Gardner fare. Fast pacing, keeping you guessing until the end. I wish I had known that one of the semi main characters had featured in other books (not D.D.) as sometimes it felt like you had to have read this in order to understand something but on the end, you don't need to have read any of Lisa Gardner's other works though I do recommend them highly. This book was great. I thought I had it figured out abut a hundred pages in but I was totally wrong! The characters were wonderfully written. The relationship between Nicky and Thomas was complex, flawed, but still...amazing at the same time. I'm glad I spent my "points" on first to read to get an advanced copy of this book. I know Gardner wouldn't let me down. ( )
  jnoble82 | Mar 20, 2017 |
Frankie recommendsReview: Former police officer, now Private investigator, Tessa Leoni must work to solve the most perplexing mystery of a woman searching for her lost child … except her husband claims no such child never existed. This is the second book in this series by Lisa Gardner but the book is a stand alone read.(The character was first introduced in one of the author's other series, Love You More featuring detective D. D. Warren.)

Nicky Frank has been drinking while driving. She ran her car off the road where it nose-dived into a steep ravine. She managed to free herself from the car, clawed her way up a ravine, and flagged down a driver by yelling for help and pleading with someone to look for and find her five year old daughter, Vero. When the police came, an intensive search was conducted. Even a search dog was brought in, but no signs of the child were found. In the meantime, Nicky had been taken to the hospital where her blood was tested positively for alcohol, treated for assorted cuts, scrapes and a concussion. When Thomas, her husband of twenty-two years arrived, he told the officers that this was the third severe accident Nicky had had in the past six months. She had fallen twice, once down a flight of stairs. Because of the three accidents, her brain was injured and Nicky was having false memories and fantasies. He assured them that they did not have a child. There was no Vero. But how does one seemingly otherwise healthy woman wind up with three critical accidents in such a short time span? The forts suspect is always the spouse. Was the car accident truly an accident? Or maybe it was Nicky trying to end her life. But could it have been attempted murder? If so, could Thomas have had a part in it? Nicky has problems answering many of the questions asked of her. But when she is coherent enough to answer, her recollections appear to be more truthful than imagination or fantasy. This causes the police to dig deeper and deeper into this twisted mystery.
Lots of twists, but I did find the ending a bit confusing. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
3.25 stars. Disappointed to give this one such an average rating but I feel it is fair. A little too overly dramatic for my tastes without nearly the amount of suspense in her other books. Gardner is one of the few guilty pleasure authors I keep on my must read list. I hope her next outing is much better than this one. I would also love to see her go back to the FBI profilers in her first books; the recent cast of characters is getting tiresome.

ARC from publisher. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
From Amazon:

My name is Nicky Frank. Except, most likely, it isn't. Nicole Frank shouldn't have been able to survive the car accident, much less crawl up the steep ravine. Not in the dark, not in the rain, not with her injuries. But one thought allows her to defy the odds and flag down help: Vero.

I’m looking for a little girl. I have to save her. Except, most likely, she doesn't exist.
Sergeant Wyatt Foster is frustrated when even the search dogs can’t find any trace of the mysterious missing child. Until Nicky’s husband, Thomas, arrives with a host of shattering revelations: Nicole Frank suffers from a rare brain injury and the police shouldn't trust anything she says. My husband claims he’ll do anything to save me. Except, most likely, he can’t. Who is Nicky Frank, and what happened the night her car sailed off the road? Was it a random accident or something more sinister given the woman’s lack of family and no close friends? The deeper Wyatt digs, the more concerned he becomes. Because it turns out, in the past few months, Nicky has suffered from more than one close accident. . . . In fact, it would appear someone very much wants her dead.

My Thoughts:

Although this isn't one of Gardner's famed D.D. Warren novels, fans of hers will be delighted that she does make an appearance. Still recovering from past injuries, D.D.'s future as a cop still hangs in the balance. Another recurring character, Tessa Leoni, plays a more prominent role in this novel. Aside from helping during the current investigation, her past is also still haunting her. Now for the story: Lisa Gardner's stories are so dynamic that once you start reading you can’t stop. This is definitely a book that will cause a book hangover. Just when you think you have figured out what is happening or find a good stopping point Gardner twists the story inside out and you have to keep reading and reading and reading and then you reach the end and all you can say is WOW! I never saw that coming! It is on the long side and it can become confusing at times...but if you like a really good psychological thriller you should add this one to your list. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Lisa Gardnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Franci-Ekeler, ElsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Naramore, MikaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traister, ChristinaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The #1 New York Times bestselling author’s latest stand-alone thriller, with a cameo by her fan-favorite character, Boston Detective D.D. Warren

My name is Nicky Frank. Except, most likely, it isn’t.

Nicole Frank shouldn’t have been able to survive the car accident, much less crawl up the steep ravine. Not in the dark, not in the rain, not with her injuries. But one thought allows her to defy the odds and flag down help: Vero.

I’m looking for a little girl. I have to save her. Except, most likely, she doesn’t exist.

Sergeant Wyatt Foster is frustrated when even the search dogs can’t find any trace of the mysterious missing child. Until Nicky’s husband, Thomas, arrives with a host of shattering revelations: Nicole Frank suffers from a rare brain injury and the police shouldn’t trust anything she says.

My husband claims he’ll do anything to save me. Except, most likely, he can’t.

This is my life. Except, most likely, it’s not. Now watch me crash and burn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

Nicole Frank, after surviving a car accident, enlists the help of Boston police officer Sergeant Wyatt Foster to find a missing girl. Who is Nicky Frank, and what happened the night her car sailed off the road? Was it a random accident or something more sinister given the woman's lack of family and no close friends? The deeper Wyatt digs, the more concerned he becomes. Because it turns out, in the past few months, Nicky has suffered from more than one close accident. In fact, it would appear someone very much wants her dead.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,328,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible