Rocky & Bullwinkle by Mark Evanier

Rocky & Bullwinkle

by Mark Evanier

741,138,814 (3.38)None

*For the full review [with gifs] see my blog Dee's Reads

I received a copy of this graphic novel in exchange for an honest review.

I was born in 1987. I grew up watching VHS tapes on a continual loop; specifically, Rocky & Bullwnkle. Rocky & Bullwinkle holds a special place in my heart, along with Dudley Do-Right and Peabody and Sherman. I have the old VHS movies, but since I don't have a player I invested in the DVD of Season 1. When I saw this graphic novel I was excited but not too excited, it would take a lot for me to feel they kept it true to the original spirit of the show. The thing is, they did a great job.

All the cheesy jokes were on point, and the artwork was so good, I'm convinced the original animators must have been raised from the dead to create this graphic novel. It's possible, right? With Boris and Natasha up to their usual tricks (including jokes about how they never recognize Boris in his costumes), and Dudley Do-Right, stupid as ever I was really impressed with this graphic novel. It's hard to take a show as old and famous as this one and turn it into a graphic novel that is relatable for the modern pop as well as the old fans with the same good old jokes.

If you're a fan of the show, you need to read this graphic novel. I'll be buying it and I'm crossing my fingers they make another one!

Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
When I was a kid, I used to rush home from school to watch Rocky & Bullwinkle. I loved the characters, the animation, but especially I loved the humour. It was a marvelous combination of slapstick comedy with tongue-in-cheek satire. There was none of that Disney sweetness and it never seemed ‘dumbed down’ - it was kind of a wink-&-a-nod to us kids that we were a lot smarter than adults gave us credit for. It was a cartoon show for all ages and it was hilarious.

This graphic novel consists of four new adventures or episodes in Frostbite Falls with Rocky the Flying squirrel and his partner, Bullwinkle the Moose as they tangle with their evil nemeses, Boris Badenov and Natasha, that fiendish pair of Pottsylvanian spies. Each episode is interrupted by a tale of Dudley-Do-Right with his faithful horse and the lovely Nell.

This graphic novel was beautifully drawn by Roger Langridge and written by Mark Evanier. Although the stories are new and the humour was brought up to date, this was a definite walk down memory lane for me. It’s a whole lot of fun and silliness and should appeal to a young audience as well as those old enough to remember it in its original form. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Dec 21, 2014 |
A trip down my childhood..I remember as a child chewing my nails in hopes that our fearless heroes would triumph again.

I'm glad that there is something new out featuring these guys. Go read it and enjoy.
It even has some of the Dudley Do Right stories in it.

One in particular about a insurance salesman that had me rolling in the floor.

I received an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley.

PS This is read now on Netgalley :) ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
A flashback to childhood – Rocky and Bullwinkle are back. This graphic novel contains four stories involving the popular squirrel and moose. Boris and Natasha are still trying to get the duo. There are also mini stories involving Dudley Do-Right. There are a lot of current pop references and the artwork is very good in capturing the characters in what I remember. I may have grown up but reading these new stories was a nostalgic trip back to a fun time. ( )
  grumpydan | Aug 6, 2014 |

Rocky and Bullwinkle face off against Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale in several encounters while Dudley Do-Right contends with Snidely Whiplash in some additional stories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible