This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the…

This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate (2015)

by Naomi Klein

English (21)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (25)
I loved this book. It pulls together so many things that have been bothering me over the past ten years: climate change, social inequality, the industrialized food system and the historical injustices to colonized peoples. I wholeheartedly hope that the current crop of humans can mobilize to do something about our future on the planet, although there are so many causes for pessimism as governments and corporations continue to plug their ears to the bad news and "la la la" their way to continued resource depletion and fossil-fuel reliance.

I found the comparison with the abolition of the slave trade interesting - although that too is a little depressing, because it was the slave-owners, rather than their former slaves, who received economic compensation for the required changes. I just can't see anyone in a position of power agreeing to share resources with the rest of world to right the wrongs of the past three centuries. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
This needs to be red by anyone seriously concerned about climate change. The first part of the book is a bit discouraging, but the solutions proposed and some of the environmental triumphs that have happened are heartening. One notable thing made abundantly clear in this book, and I concur, is that capitalism, as currently being implemented, is incompatible with solving out climate problems. It remains to be wehther the changes neded will occur in time. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
The most important book I've ever read. We're running out of time to change our ways and if we don't the effects will be devastating. That's reality.

"We know that if we continue on our current path of allowing emissions to rise year after year, climate change will change everything about our world. Major cities will very likely drown, ancient cultures will be swallowed by the seas, and there is a very high chance that our children will spend a great deal of their lives fleeing and recovering from vicious storms and extreme droughts. And we don’t have to do anything to bring about this future. All we have to do is nothing. Just continue to do what we are doing now, whether it’s counting on a techno-fix or tending to our gardens or telling ourselves we’re unfortunately too busy to deal with it." ~ page 4, This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate by Naomi Klein
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
A very important book! ( )
1 vote 2wonderY | Feb 23, 2017 |
This book needs to be treated like a textbook of the reference genre. It's main value lies in the immense accumulation of important facts concerning activism around climate change. Although it doesn't go so far as to document localized anarchist responses (shout out to the Parasol Climate Collective in Portland, OR), it does capture the importance of environmental activist and First Nation coalitions (such as we're seeing so brilliantly in the Pacific NW and in opposition to the Dakota Access Pipeline at Standing Rock). As a reference book, it can be used to look up those Big Green groups that are undermining serious work on responding to climate change by their support of "fair trade deals" and Fossil Fuel corporations (i.e., "Greenwashing"). Finally, its overall message is clear and needs to be heard: we cannot avert climate change disaster under the current capitalist system, with its prioritization of growth and globalization of "free" market ideology. (Brian)
  ShawIslandLibrary | Oct 6, 2016 |

Klein, Naomiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"We need to remember that the work of our time is bigger than climate change. We need to be setting our sights higher and deeper. What we're really talking about, if we're honest with ourselves, is transforming everything about the way we live on this planet."
-- Rebecca Tarbotton, Executive Director of the Rainforest Action Network, 1973-2012

"In my books I've imagined people salting the Gulf Stream, damming the glaciers sliding off the Greenland ice cap, pumping ocean water into dry basins of the Sahara and Asia to create salt seas, pumping melted ice from Antarctica north to provide freshwater, genetically engineering bacteria to sequester more carbon in the roots of trees, raising Florida 30 feet to get it back above water, and (hardest of all) comprehensively changing capitalism."
-- Science fiction writer Kim Stanley Robinson, 2012
For Toma
A voice came over the intercom: would the passengers of Flight 3935, scheduled to depart Washington, D.C., for Charleston, South Carolina, kindly collect their carry-on luggage and get off the plane. (Introduction)
... The [climate change] deniers, and the ideological movement from which they sprang, won the battle over which values should govern our society. Their vision – that greed should guide us – has dramatically remade our world over the last four decades ...
... the real reason we are failing to rise to the climate moment is because the actions required directly challenge our reigning economic paradigm (deregulated capitalism combined with public austerity)
In Naomi Klein argues that climate change isn’t just another issue to be neatly filed between taxes and health care. It’s an alarm that calls us to fix an economic system that is already failing us in many ways. Klein meticulously builds the case for how massively reducing our greenhouse emissions is our best chance to simultaneously reduce gaping inequalities, re-imagine our broken democracies, and rebuild our gutted local economies. She exposes the ideological desperation of the climate-change deniers, the messianic delusions of the would-be geoengineers, and the tragic defeatism of too many mainstream green initiatives. And she demonstrates precisely why the market has not—and cannot—fix the climate crisis but will instead make things worse, with ever more extreme and ecologically damaging extraction methods, accompanied by rampant disaster capitalism.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,139,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible