Miss Julia Lays Down the Law by Ann B. Ross

Miss Julia Lays Down the Law

by Ann B. Ross

I loved this book! I could barely put it down. I've read almost every book in the series, and this may be one of my favorites. Though I missed some of my favorite characters, Miss Julia is such a delight that I sped right through this and was sorry when it ended. If you like light Southern fiction with a sassy (but proper :) heroine, give Miss Julia a try. I look forward to the next book! ( )
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
I do enjoy spending time with Miss Julia and her extended family and friends. This time Julia finds the dead body of an acquaintance and immediately rises to the top of the suspect list. Coleman is busy sitting on a sign to raise money for a charity, Hazel Marie and the twins are down sick, there is a snow/ice storm coming keeping Sam out of town and Julia is on her own to try and solve the mystery of the murder and clear her name.

This was a fun one, I will be reading more in this series. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 27, 2016 |
Miss Julia veers into cozy mystery territory. When a newcomer to Abbotsville (one with grand ideas for change) is found dead by Miss Julia, no less, the police have to suspect her of foul play. With Sam off at meetings, Hazel Marie et al down with the flu and Pastor Ledbetter in hiding, Miss Julia takes charge as usual to try to clear her own good name. These are always fun reads, a very pleasant visit with some familiar characters. ( )
  ethel55 | May 1, 2015 |
At least Miss Julia has a better than usual reason for meddling in Miss Julia Lays Down the Law: she’s being questioned by the local police in Abbottsville, North Carolina regarding the suspicious death of an obnoxious newcomer, Connie Clayborn. That’s only natural because the woman’s body was discovered in the Clayborn kitchen by none other than Miss Julia.

Hilarity ensues when Miss Julia pledges to her pastor to keep secret the reason she was in the Clayborn kitchen at all – which was at the pastor’s request. Then the pastor leaves town and otherwise avoids Miss Julia so she cannot inform him she has to break her pledge to get herself out of hot water with the cops. Also absconding is Miss Julia’s attorney husband Sam who, as always, is not in town to guide her through one of her crazy predicaments. All the characters fans have grown to love are in the story, but in Miss Julia Lays Down the Law, the spotlight is definitely on our heroine to solve the case and get everything back on an even keel.

This series has grown wackier with every book, and Miss Julia Lays Down the Law registers pretty high on the wacky scale. Yet, it’s not so over the top that I lost interest. This series is one of my favorites and this 16th or 17th (depending on whether you count Etta Mae’s Worst Bad-Luck Day as a Miss Julia book – which I DO NOT) doesn’t disappoint. ( )
  NewsieQ | Apr 21, 2015 |

It’s up to Miss Julia to sort out the murder of a hoity-toity newcomer in the latest addition to the New York Times bestselling series

Ann B. Ross’s most recent addition to the series, Miss Julia’s Marvelous Makeover, was the first to hit the printed New York Times bestseller list, so Miss Julia fans both new and old will be especially keen to get their hands on the next one. The sixteenth in the series, Miss Julia Lays Down the Law is guaranteed to be the steel magnolia’s most exciting adventure yet.

It’s November and Miss Julia is looking forward to some quiet time before the holidays. That is until snobby Connie Clayborn and her rich husband move to town. At first, Miss Julia and the other ladies are pleased to be invited over for coffee, but the afternoon turns into a slap in the face when their hostess spouts nonstop criticism about Abbotsville. Why, how dare she? Days later, Miss Julia decides to confront Connie woman to woman, but when she arrives, Connie is lying on the kitchen floor—lifeless in a pool of blood. Who could have done this? Miss Julia will need to find out fast—particularly because her fingerprints are now all over the crime scene. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:15 -0400)

"It's November and Miss Julia is looking forward to some quiet time before the holidays. That is until snobby Connie Clayborn and her rich husband move to town. At first, Miss Julia and the other ladies are pleased to be invited over for coffee, but the afternoon turns into a slap in the face when their hostess spouts nonstop criticism about Abbotsville. Why, how dare she? Days later, Miss Julia decides to confront Connie woman to woman, but when she arrives, Connie is lying on the kitchen floor--lifeless in a pool of blood. Who could have done this? Miss Julia will need to find out fast--particularly because her fingerprints are now all over the crime scene"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,321,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible