Basic Music Theory by Joe Procopio

Basic Music Theory

by Joe Procopio

312,001,085 (5)None

**This review is based on the copy I received from the author at the time of his initial submission.**

I had to treat this review slightly different for this reason: It’s a textbook of sorts, so it doesn’t have the guiding factors like plot, pace, conflict and the like to take into considerations.

Therefore, I will base my score on the following characteristics:

(1) Spelling, grammar, punctuation
(2) Ease of following and understanding
(3) Use of visual aids along with text

******

(1) Spelling, grammar, and punctuation: There were a handful of spelling errors and one instance of misplaced punctuation but overall, a terrific job on syntax.

(2) Ease of following and understanding: Although I haven’t had music classes since my early school years, a lot of what I learned reminded me of that particular time in my life. The dust was flicked off my light bulb for just a moment as I revisited the different notes, clefs and meanings. The instructions were clear and very easy to follow. The recaps (repetition) did help a lot but in some areas, it almost bordered on being a bit too much.

(3) Use of visual aids along with text: The visual aids were presented beautifully and there was a nice balance between print and diagrams. This method is beneficial not just to the student that likes relying on text but also the student who likes being hands on and is a fan of visual aids more so than merely print.

Verdict: 4.5, but strong enough to round to a 5.

I would definitely recommend this. It has been a while since I’ve looked at music yet if I had an instrument on hand, I would be open to using this guide to get back in the swing of things. ( )
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |

The author of this text has always believed that the richest person in the world is poor without music. As a teacher, Joe Procopio has spent a lifetime successfully enhancing and enriching the lives of all he has taught. Basic Music Theory is an easy to read book about music. It is the first step to take for anyone who is not trained in music but wants to become a musician. With this book you need not be a musician. It teaches you how to read music - from the very beginning. It is also perfect for those whose knowledge of the terms used in music is incomplete. This makes it ideal for the First Year Music Theory student whose text usually fails to give the student a complete understanding of the vocabulary and tools used in music. Now, for the first time, an inexpensive, easy read - easy to understand text is available for everyone to know what chords, scales, keys, notes and intervals are. In addition, Professor Procopio has included his own unique 48 Chord System that allows anyone to learn all their chords in ONE EASY EXERCISE. This simple exercise can be played with one hand on the piano or on any other instrument by anyone as is shown in the book. This exercise alone is worth more than the value of most music textbooks. To be sure, Basic Music Theory is the best, easiest and least expensive book you can have with music. Its sequel, Making Sense With Music (by the same author - also very inexpensive), is a masterpiece for understanding the whole world of music as easy as understanding your own language. It is the only book that actually turns notes into words. Basic Music Theory will eliminate any fear you may have of music and help you become a musician with confidence. In Making Sense With Music you will be able to see, hear and understand all of the world's most beautiful music. Both books unlock the language, mystery and magic of music. Both books promise and pledge to make your life more abundant, more beautiful and more enjoyable.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,582,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible