X: A Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz

X: A Novel

by Ilyasah Shabazz, Kekla Magoon

2202252,892 (3.88)12

A very well-paced book chronicling the early years of Malcolm X. The language is tight and appropriate for the subject matter. I'm excited to share this book. ( )
  michelleannlib | Jul 25, 2017 |
Not only is this a highly approachable fictional look at Malcolm X's adolescence, it is also a great immersion into 1940s Roxbury and Harlem. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 11, 2017 |
The book was very well written and felt like reading a novel, not history. I, however, always have difficulty reading about Malcolm X. ( )
  KamGeb | Jan 14, 2017 |
Another nonfiction novel! This book was co-written by Malcolm X's daughter Ilyasah Shabazz and is based on anecdotes of family & friends as well as the written accounts (letters, diaries, etc.) about how Malcolm Little became Malcolm X.

For those fans of nonfiction, the 'appendix' at the end in which Shabazz describes what exactly was fact, what was composite and what was fiction will be appreciated. I also liked getting the background timeline and historical perspective provided in the second 'appendix'.

Dion Graham was excellent narrating this audiobook. I found the story compelling although I had some difficulty relating to young Malcolm's feeling that life hustling was 'keeping it real'. However, I think that difficulty is personal rather than any fault in the book & I am now much more curious about learning more about Malcolm X. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 1, 2016 |
"X: A Novel" is a fictionalized account of Malcolm Little's journey to become Malcolm X. It explores the life-altering experiences and choices of young, impressionable Malcolm that led to his transformation into a renowned civil rights leader. I didn't know what to expect from this book but it's well told and gripping.

If you've ever seen the movie "Malcolm X", directed by Spike Lee and starring Denzel Washington, then you'll recognize a lot of the characters from the first part of the movie. Nevertheless, I felt as if I was learning about this rebellious young Malcolm for the first time and in his own words. It's easy to see how he became such a deeply introspective and impassioned leader. The last chapter was especially resonating. There are notes from Ilyasah Shabazz, Malcolm X's daughter and co-author of this book, in the back.

I was a little disappointed that the characters in Malcolm's life, especially the family members, always felt distant and not quite real. Regardless, this would be a good introduction to Malcolm X for any reader. ( )
  cosiari | Jul 3, 2016 |

Ilyasah Shabazzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Magoon, Keklamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, DionNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my loving nephew, Malcolm - I.S.
For my dad - K.M.
Friends tell me trouble's coming.

Cowritten by Malcolm X’s daughter, this riveting and revealing novel follows the formative years of the man whose words and actions shook the world.

I am Malcolm.
I am my father’s son. But to be my father’s son means that they will always come for me.

They will always come for me, and I will always succumb.

Malcolm Little's parents have always told him that he can achieve anything, but from what he can tell, that's a pack of lies—after all, his father's been murdered, his mother's been taken away, and his dreams of becoming a lawyer have gotten him laughed out of school. There's no point in trying, he figures, and lured by the nightlife of Boston and New York, he escapes into a world of fancy suits, jazz, girls, and reefer. But Malcolm's efforts to leave the past behind lead him into increasingly dangerous teritory. Deep down, he knows that the freedom he's found is only an illusion—and that he can't run forever.

X follows Malcolm from his childhood to his imprisonment for theft at age twenty, when he found the faith that would lead him to forge a new path and command a voice that still resonates today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ilyasah Shabazz's book X: A Novel was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible