Friends of Mine: Thirty Years in the Life of…

Friends of Mine: Thirty Years in the Life of a Duran Duran Fan

by Elisa Lorello

134723,089 (4)None

Having been a die hard duranie back in my youth I reveled in this book. I loved the way that the events of her life were 'connected' with Duran songs. Even though Elisa is an American and I am a Brit I could relate so much to the things that happened in this book, and it was a real nostalgia fest reading it. I was even tempted to go into the loft to find my box of Duran Duran related newspaper & magazine clippings (although I have not actually got around to doing so yet. It will not doubt give my daughters a laugh when I finally find them. I loved it when I discovered that she has actually met John Taylor. I remember an incident when I was a fully fledged 'duranie' and my best friend was a 'Wham' fan. Her father was sailing in Cowes week ( a very big sailing event over here in the uk) and upon his return delighted in telling us that he had met and had a very interesting chat to Simon LeBon ! He did not understand why we both screamed at him "why did you not get his autograph / photo" :) I don't think I have ever quite forgiven him. ( )
  WWDG | May 6, 2015 |
This book was offered for review on Book Blogger

The books description intrigued me; a grown up, a professor, a novelist discusses her love for a Pop Band. I have been a fan of certain bands. and have always been a viewer and never a performer. My brother Andy listened to Duran Duran and his musical world exploded. He has gone on to be a musician featured on the cover of a notable San Francisco paper. I desired to be a crafted musician, but no matter the amount of practice; I was unable to get my heart into it. I found that my role was to celebrate the music of the band.

Elissa Lorello's book is like a keen chaperon of the 20th century Pop Music Museum. The book provided balance between context (private and historical), and the music of Duran Duran.
I had a couple questions I wanted answered before beginning this book. What is the purpose of music? How does music mark the depths of history? How do bands create clarity in our lives? How does popular music create clarity in a world turned chaotic? What is "fan club glee", or why be a fan of a bunch of dreamy musicians? Other writers would have been more heavy handed in one of these areas. The heavy handedness would leave us scratching our heads and asking, "so what?".
Friends of Mine: Thirty Years in the Life of a Duran Duran Fan, is a well crafted answer to the role of music in an unstable world. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
This book was offered for review on Book Blogger

Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
I had such a big grin on my face thru most of this because it reminded me so much of myself back in the 80's. I even shed a few tears. I swear my heart was thumping in my chest and my face turned red along with the author's as she waited in line for the book signing at the end. I'm still "Duran Duranged" at 48, apparently. A must-read for all of us former "Mrs. John Taylor"'s out there. :) It made me dig out my old Duran Duran albums and look into completing my collection with their more recent albums. ( )
  seongeona | Oct 20, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,327,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible