Bring Me Home by Alan Titchmarsh

Bring Me Home

by Alan Titchmarsh

This is the first Titchmarsh novel I have read and I borrowed it from the Library on the strength of having read one of Alan Titchmarsh's gardening books. I really enjoyed it although it has prompted me to ask lots of questions of myself about why.

There were aspects of the novel which were predictable such as 'the wicked stepmother' character Charlottwe Niven. But on the other hand it was just a family story which was very engaging.

It is set in the Scottish Highlands and one learns a lot about being a landowner from the background. Titchmarsh's representation of the Scottish accent seems authentic but perhaps others might feel differently.

I think this is the key thing about the novel - it feels authentic as though the author knows what he is talking about which leads to the inevitable question - is it at all autobiographical in any way?

Funnily enough there is not a mention of gardens in the novel!!

I liked the way each chapter began with a wise saying or quotation. This gave one something to think on before the chapter began.

I did not like the ending and the way the step-mother was written out of the story - it seemed contrived . On the other hand the imagery of the golden swan I found quite believable.

A good but I guess not a taxing read.
  louis69 | Oct 24, 2017 |

Britain's favorite gardener and TV presenter Alan Titchmarsh takes readers to the scenic highlands of Scotland for his new tale of betrayal, mystery, and romance. It seems a perfect afternoon in the Highlands. Standing at the door of the lochside castle that has been his family's home for generations, Charlie Stuart welcomes his guests to the annual summer drinks party. Conversation, laughter, and the clinking of glasses soon fill the air as friends and neighbors come together to toast the laird's happiness and prosperity. But Charlie sees the truth behind the façade: the sacrifices made to safeguard the estate; the devastating losses that have haunted him for decades; the guilt that lies at the heart of it all. And in a few hours, he knows, the perfect afternoon will come to an end. The past, with its dark secrets of love, death, loyalty, and betrayal, is about to catch up with him. And it could finally tear his family apart . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:18 -0400)

It seems a perfect afternoon in the Highlands. Standing at the door of the lochside castle that has been his family's home for generations, Charlie Stuart welcomes his guests to the annual summer drinks party. Conversation, laughter, and the clinking of glasses soon fill the air as friends and neighbors come together to toast the laird's happiness and prosperity. But Charlie sees the truth behind the facade: the sacrifices made to safeguard the estate; the devastating losses that have haunted him for decades; the guilt that lies at the heart of it all. And in a few hours, he knows, the perfect afternoon will come to an end. The past, with its dark secrets of love, death, loyalty, and betrayal, is about to catch up with him. And it could finally tear his family apart . . .… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,588,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible