A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey:…

A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey: Seasonal Celebrations, Traditions,…

by Jessica Fellowes

Another enjoyable book that's best for the coffee table. Yet another companion book/money grab by the people behind the successful show. This book approaches the show a little differently (which I could appreciate) where it looks at the production of the show and the timeline of what might happen at Downton during the year, broken down month by month. There are historical tidbits, words from the actors/producers, gorgeous pictures and recipes.

You can read about the props, the food, how the children were brought up, what certain events on the show meant in their historical counterparts and contexts, why certain characters/events/concepts would not make much sense to the viewer in the modern day but was perfectly acceptable/practiced in the context of the show, etc. It made me appreciate the labor and research the show put into its work for continuity, for (relative) historical accuracy, etc.

That's really about it. That said, it's not a perfect book. Like with the other books I wasn't always a fan of the inserts interrupting the text. Some of the information might be repetitive (depending on your knowledge level of the show and the history). Some of the history wasn't that interesting.

The book overall also felt like a bit of a mishmash. You have a chronological order at a look of things and you have mini profiles of the major staffers (producers, creator, historical advisor, etc.), the recipes plus commentary on the show's plotlines, etc. It got to be a bit of a mess. It's still an enjoyable read (for example the recipes that seemed to roughly correlate with the time of the year or particular plotline that happens at that time, etc.) that had an unusual approach but it's not a must buy.

Glad my library had it and I didn't try to purchase it. But if you really want it you can probably find it cheaper now that the show's over. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Full of gorgeous photographs, behind-the-scenes information about the show, and fascinating historical details, this book is a must-read for any Downton Abbey fan! The author breaks the chapters into months of the year, describing events that occurred each month and interviewing cast members and crew. She also focuses on a unique aspect of production on the show each month, and even includes recipes tailored for the modern kitchen. This book is meant as a companion edition to Season 5, so beware of spoilers if you are a few seasons behind.

Kathleen K. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Nicely compiled into a calendar year with behind the scenes and production details. Excellent photographs. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Eye candy for lovers of all things Downton! ( )
  jo2son | Feb 9, 2015 |

It's 1924 and there have been many changes in the world of Downton Abbey since we were first welcomed by the family and their servants twelve years ago. A generation of men has been tragically lost at the front, there are once again children breathing new life into the great house, a chauffeur now sits at the Grantham dinner table and hems are up by several inches. Yet despite all of this unsettling upheaval, it is a comfort to find that many things at Downton remain largely unchanged. There are still parties to be thrown, summer fetes to be organised, menus to be planned and farms to be run. Join us, then, as we explore the seasonal events and celebrations of the great estate - Christmas, Easter, the debutante season, the hunt and more - and peer with us through the prism of the house as we learn more about the lives of our favourite characters, the actors who play them, and those who create the world we love so much. Packed full of exclusive new photography and brimming with traditional British recipes for each calendar month, such as Eton mess and sloe gin, this beautiful book takes us on a fascinating journey through a year in the life of Downton Abbey.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,527,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible