The Art of Eating through the Zombie…

The Art of Eating through the Zombie Apocalypse: A Cookbook and Culinary…

by Lauren Wilson

Long, long ago, when the earth was young – or at least when we were younger – my brother was determined to get on Survivor. He got so far as getting a call from a producer; I still say he would have been a lot more entertaining than half the chuckleheads they've had on. Being the data freak I am, I decided that if he could just do his part and get on, I could make him King of Survivor. I started getting books out of the library and looking up all sorts of weird and wild stuff online, and filled a notebook with the most relevant and useful and efficient methods of starting a fire, building a shelter, purifying water, catching fish, and more. (If the end of the world occurs, I ask that the gentle reader keep this in mind: I still have that book (since my brother never got on the show) and I still remember a lot of it… And now I have this book. Think Eugene without a Y chromosome or a mullet. That's me.)

This book is that notebook, with awesomely snazzier illustrations and a whole heck of a lot more information.

It already had my attention with its premise, but it won my heart with this sentence: "Let us set the scene. Paint the big picture (a little less Thomas Cole pastoral and a little more Edvard Munch horror)".

And that premise? TAoETtZA proposes to show how not to just survive after TSHTF (one of the authors' favorite acronyms), but to live. Why settle for bland squirrel while huddling in your improvised shelter, or flavorless fish after clearing the undead out of the local prison? There's no need, if only you read this book.

Not only is it a smart guide to how to eat well when things fall apart, it's a smart guide to basically everything you need to know about that basic survival: how to prepare while things are normal (if that's what you want to call it), what to bring when you bug out – and whether you should bug out, what you should concentrate on when foraging in the woods or in town, and the most basic basics of all: how to start a fire, how to purify water, and why you shouldn't eat cockroaches (apart from the obvious). There are recipes (with punny or otherwise clever names), diagrams (MRE's come with chewing gum?), and short- and long-range plans for survival. For living. It's fantastic.

Let's face it – there are days when I agree with Frodo Baggins: "there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them." (An invasion of dragons would, in its end result, strongly resemble a zombie apocalypse, although dragons are smarter. And cooler. And they fly. Well, and "scorched earth" might be a relevant phrase. Okay, not so strong a resemblance.)

The usual disclaimer: I received this book via Netgalley for review. ( )
2 vote Stewartry | May 9, 2016 |
Essential info for everyone

Think of this first as a fun gift book for your camping buddies and whacked out survivalist friends, although it will, of course, be very useful in the event of a zombie or any other kind of apocalypse. Chock full of helpful field cooking and survival tips, it provides helpful methods on making sure your campfire is invisible from scouting eyes while cooking gourmet meals on the run.

The book is comprehensive, covering topics such as which spices to include in your Go Bag, how to forage in rural and urban settings, sanitation when rotting bodies could be anywhere, how to stock a safe house, basic agriculture techniques, and how to make MREs palatable. Essential info for everyone.

I received a review copy of "The Art of Eating through the Zombie Apocalypse" by Lauren Wilson, illustrations by Kristian Bauthus (BenBella Books) through NetGalley.com. ( )
1 vote Dokfintong | Apr 27, 2016 |
This maybe a tongue in cheek survival and recipe book, but elements of it are relevent even if the ZA doesn't materialise.
For those of you who enjoy the outdoor life, tips on hunting etc., will be useful.
As will the putting together of a survival kit.
The recipe section will ork either cooking out doors or more conventially in a kitchen.
With a few tweaks some sections may also be useful for those of you just starting out. Students, singles living in a bedsit etc.
A great book and one that should be on everyone's bookshelf.
JUST IN CASE.

I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |

"The Art of Eating through the Zombie Apocalypse" is a cookbook and culinary field guide for the busy zombie apocalypse survivor. Included are more than 80 recipes (from "Overnight of the Living Dead French Toast" and "It's Not Easy Growing Greens Salad" to "Down & Out Sauerkraut," "Honey & Blackberry Mead," and "Twinkie Trifle"), scads of gastronomic survival tips, and dozens of diagrams and illustrations that help you scavenge, forage, and improvise your way to an artful post-apocalypse meal. "The Art of Eating" is the ideal handbook for efficient food sourcing and inventive meal preparation in the event of an undead uprising. Whether you decide to hole up in your own home or bug out into the wilderness, whether you prefer to scavenge the dregs of society or try your hand at apocalyptic agriculture, and regardless of your level of skill or preparation, "The Art of Eating" will help you navigate the wasteland and make the most of what you eat.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,396,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible