Kid's Sleeping Disorders: Help Your…

Kid's Sleeping Disorders: Help Your Child Overcome Sleep Disorders

by Darius J. Miles

541,436,638 (3.25)None

Kid's Sleeping Disorders: Help Your Child Overcome Sleep Disorders

by Darius J. Miles

I found this book very informative and easy and quick to read. It touches on some issues that may be behind children's sleep issues from colic in babies to bedwetting in older children. Its a good starting point book when you are looking into your child's sleep problems. ( )
  Kimmyd76 | Oct 31, 2014 |
I did not find this book informative or helpful. I understand that the author was attempting to educate parents on sleeping disorders in children by leaving out the "Mumbo Jumbo and big words," but it came across as assuming that parents are stupid. I was also offended by the repeated use of the word "Kid(s)." I have a child, not a baby goat.

In Chapter 5: When You Kick Your Kid Out Of Your Room. I'm curious how sleeping in one's own bedroom helps form an identity as an individual. Does the author also believe that siblings who share a bedroom are unable to form their individuality because they share a room?

It may be a known "fact' that we sleep better alone, but there is much scientific research out there that shows that sleeping with someone lowers cortisol levels, and increases oxytocin levels, which has been shown to improve digestive and heart health. So the author's assumption that having your child sleep alone is "clear to see" is actually not so clear. It's simply his opinion, rather than fact.

In Chapter Seven, the author discusses the anxious child, and how separation events are one of the major causes of anxiety. It stands to reason then, that expecting a young child to sleep alone not only contributes to the anxiety of the child, but actually might disrupt the sleep of everyone in the home as a result.

Chapter 8: Feeding during the night and Chapter 9: Solving the Feeding at Night Dilema are two chapters that should just be completely deleted from the book. Feeding an infant during the night is NOT a cause of sleeping problems. The author contradicts himself right away when he states "Once a baby is 3 months old they no longer need to be fed continuously throughout the night. In the next sentence he states that"...you can do this for their first year but it is not necessary." Which is it? Does the infant need to eat at night or not? The answer is YES. Infants' stomachs are very tiny compared to an adult's. A breastfed baby's digestive system more easily digests breastmilk compared to formula or cow's milk, so they need to eat more often because they are HUNGRY. And yes, sometimes, an infant nurses to soothe. A parent who pays attention to their baby's cues to eat or feel secure is teaching their child that they can trust their parent and lessen anxiety. Feel free to check out Dr. James McKenna's work on infants and sleeping. Feeding a baby at night is not "training" him or her, as the author implies "to get hungry at night." A person is hungry when he or she needs to eat. How many toddlers who were fed during the night as infants routinely get up hungry in the middle of the night when solid foods have replaced breastfeeding or formula as their primary caloric intake.

If the author truly wants to write a book about children's sleep disorders, then that's where his focus should be: Night terrors, sleep walking, bedwetting, sleep onset anxiety, apnea, narcolepsy and delayed sleep phase syndrome. Nothing more. ( )
  Antonette | Oct 4, 2014 |
I noticed a few grammatical errors in this book, but nothing that really made me want to stop reading it. As a person who works in the medical field, I can certainly attest to these disorders and many of the remedies made a lot of sense to me. I think that parents of children who have any type of sleeping disorder could possibly benefit from reading this book. ( )
  sealford | Sep 20, 2014 |
I am not a parent but it was beneficial to be able to learn, as a child, an adult will become. I may have suffered from one of these disorders and it was of interest to read the 2014 version of sleep concerns. Awareness and responsibility came across as being important to training both child and parent. Common sense ideas to use in the everyday. Thank you. ( )
  barbara.kilpatri2558 | Aug 26, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Darius J. Miles's book Kid's Sleeping Disorders was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible